• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2nd Annual Whitehorse Gear Ride & Unrally

rubberducky

Hey All!  Here is the info on the  2nd Annual Whitehorse Gear Ride & Unrally:

Date(s):  September 8 & 9, 2012

For those who have been to one of the Whitehorse Gear Open Houses in the spring, you know it can sometimes be a real hassle trying to get anything there with all the people; it is like a mob scene!  Well, here’s your chance to go to Whitehorse Gear, do all the shopping you want for motorcycle gear in peace and comfort, and then spend some quality time on the roads and passes (or “notches” as they are called in local parlance  ;D) of northern New Hampshire  The Ride and Unrally will travel to Whitehorse Gear on Saturday, September 8th, 2012 and then spend the rest of Saturday and Sunday morning riding the area roads.  And since this will be the weekend after Labor Day we should have a lot less traffic to contend with than usual! 

Riders from Southern Mass, RI, CT can meet at the Rest Area on Route 24 North (just north of I-495).  Ride will leave from there at 7:30am.  We will stop at the Mobil “On the Run” on Route 133 @ I-495 in Tewksbury, MA at approximately 8:30am to collect anyone from the north side of the state and will leave there at 9:00am.  From there we will take some favorite back roads up through New Hampshire and stopping somewhere around Rochester, NH (exact location TBD) for a coffee/butt break.  From there we will continue on to Whitehorse Gear in Conway, NH.  After filling your bags with motorcycle gear and goodies, those who want to can stay in the area and ride the great roads that northern NH has to offer.  We will also do lunch after the shopping!

I have contacted the Yankee Clipper Inn in North Conway, NH and they are holding a block of 10 rooms for us until June 1, 2012.  The rate is $79.00 per room double occupancy.  This rate will include their breakfast special on Sunday morning at The Blueberry Muffin of two eggs, toast and beverage or $3.79 credit off a breakfast of your choice.  As mentioned they will hold the 10 rooms until Friday, June 1, 2012 and at that time they will release any rooms that have not been reserved with a credit card so get your reservations in early!  The reservations for each individual will be on a “call in” basis and each person will be responsible for the payment for their accommodations.  Be sure to mention that you are with the Concours Owners Group.  Yankee Clipper has a 72-hour cancellation policy in effect.  If you cancel your reservation with less than 72 hours' notice, you will be charged for the first night of your intended stay.  Reservations can be made by calling the Yankee Clipper Inn (http://www.theyankeeclipperinn.com/) @ 800-343-5900 or 603-356-5736.

There are also a number of camp grounds in the area for those who would like to do that. (http://www.ucampnh.com/wm_region.php).

Coop  (Rubberducky)

Thanks, Greg.  I know that I'm looking forward to it.  Everyone who went last year seemed to have a good time (well, except maybe the C-14 that had to buy a new rear tire!  :eek:)  so I think it will be good this year too! 

For those who aren't familiar with White Horse, I will say they are some of the nicest, most accommodating people you will meet in the retail business.

And northern NH, (and VT too) has some great riding. I am in NH about 2 hours from Conway.

Here is a map for White Horse

I was just looking at their current catalog......................

They've come a long way since Whitehorse Press. Books only.

And they have supported COG very well over the years.

Lets all go buy something from them today ;D

Jason

I love going to Whitehorse. Everyone is great. They let us walk around and shop. It's cool being able to hold and maybe even try on something before I actually buy it. I like knowing it fits ahead of time. Then even cooler yet. Anything I buy that might take up room on the bike can replace other older stuff. Whitehorse is more than willing to ship your old stuff home for you.
Did I mention how nice and friendly the folks are. Plus they are always willing to support us. So I go out of my way to support them when possible. Going to them is an actual trip for me. So when I'm out that way, I try to stop in. I could spend hours shopping and talking! Who knows, maybe I can do this ride!  :)

You're right about them being friendly and accommodating; last year I bought a whole passel of gear and they shipped it to my house at no charge!  Great folks.  Of course the riding that we will be doing afterwards is worth a trip also  :)   

RubberDucky

Just a quick reminder that folks need to call the Yankee Clipper Inn and make their reservation if they want to get the COG rate.  It is coming up fast and I sure am looking forward to it!! :)

OK, Coop,  all signed up.

I'll meet up with you folks at the Tewksbury Mobil stop!

Now I just have to figure out what's in the budget for Whitehorse Press!  >:D

I've ridden to the White Mountains and back home to New Jersey in one very l-o-o-n-n-g fall day.  So anyone who can't afford the time to stay over night could still participate by treating this ride as a Meet & Greet at Whitehorse.  :72:

The fun part of my very l-o-o-n-n-g fall day ride was my J-box decided to crap out while I was riding South on I-91 in Vermont just as the Sun went down.  No amount of rapping on the J-box would get the headlight to come back on.  It is wicked dark along I-91 in Vermont at night! :( 

I had to wait for a Southbound car to come speeding out of the dark at 70-80 MPH and then I had to accelerate wicked hard to get on the car's tail while I could still see the road using the car's headlights.  If the car got away from me while I was accelerating at WFO it was going to get UGLY
0003.gif
very fast. 
afraid-male-afraid-frightened-smiley-emoticon-000293-medium.gif

I quickly aborted the first attempt when I realized I had not got the timing right.  I made damn sure I got the timing right the second time.  It was about a 45 minute ride at 70 MPH in complete darkness except for what was illuminated by the headlights of the car in front of me.  I didn't dare glance to the side or let that car pull away from me. 

Once we crossed into Massachusetts there was suddenly a lot of light and the rest of the ride home through Mass, Conn and NY was not that difficult without my headlight.  My biggest worry after awhile was that some cop would see me and pull me over. 

Sure Mike. It would be 350 miles each way for me, slabbing most of it. I think not!  No, it would have to be some kind of over night for me.

Don't know if I can get away for this but will try....  I'd be interested in doing a back roads route, perhaps an over nigher of some kind :)

I was able to get the Yankee Clipper to extend the COG room rates until June 30th (next Saturday) so if you want to get a room there, now is the time!  We will also be putting up the GPS files for the ride up onto the forum in the next couple of days.  Hope to see ya' there!

Thanks, Greg.  Actually the route isn't much different from previous years except for the planned coffee/bio break in Rochester, NH.  Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it; right!?  ;)  Hopefully we won't get "tired" this year! :rotflmao:

The response is looking good, 16 people signed up so far!    For those who plan to meet us in Rochester, NH, we will be stopping at a greasy spoon called Somewhere in Time.  It is on Route 11 about 1/4 mile north of the exit off of Route 16 (Exit# 15 I believe).  You will see a Mobil Gas Station and when you pull into the parking lot there is the restaurant behind it.  You will recognize it by the Pink Cadillac hanging over the door! :great:  Again, looking forward to seeing everyone there!

I was going to try to make this ride. But it doesn't look feasible for me for multiple reasons. (the main one being multiple days and lack of time) So I've decided not to attempt this ride (as much as I would like to).  But it will also allow me to do a (one day only) meet & greet in NY. (I haven't had one in a couple of months now) Maybe next time. Have a good ride folks.

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it although I don't know what you mean by "multiple days".    Heck, one day up and one day back...what's the problem?  :D

Less than a week away!  Tracey and I looking forward to seeing everyone for lunch and at Whitehorse

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I have spoken to the folks at Whitehorse Gear and they will be giving you a 10% discount on Saturday and Sunday as long as you identify yourselves as COG members!  Hey, every little bit helps!  ;D

Thanks for the reminder, Coop!  I had forgotten to make a reservation.  There wasn't much left for rooms, so we have a King suite with a Jacuzzi.  :great:

We're looking forward to it.

Does anyone know the approximate arrival time in Rochester?  It's been a long night and we want to sleep in!  :great:  See you there!

Probably somewhere around 10:30am.  We will be leaving the Tewksbury, MA area at about 9:00am and I figure somewhere between 1 and 1.5 hrs to Rochester (depending on traffic! :)).

Coop,
Thank you for organizing this event.  Even though I wasn't up to riding, Tracey and I had a great time hanging out with folks at Whitehorse (went in with no expectation of buying anything but within 15 mins I had racked up over $50!), then for dinner at hillbillies.  Glad the camper came in handy as the rain shuttle to the restaurant. Thank you to Jim Toga for offering up his nearby place for dinner but the rain gods made it too challenging.
I hope everyone makes it home safely.

nice ride and organization by Coop!  i enjoyed the good run-- safely back in RI now--- thanks again--Rick

Thank you all for the kind words.  I appreciate everyone who was able to make it on the run and hope everyone had a good time.  Unfortunately Bob & Mo had tire trouble again this year :-( but they were able to fix it up with a plug and make it home (or at least to Milford, NH where they turned off) safely!

I really want to thank Jim Toga for offering his house up near Conway for a cook-out.  As Greg mentioned though, the rain gods just didn't want to cooperate  :'(  And I (along with the rest of the group) thank Greg  & Tracey for sharing their camper (as a taxi cab!!).

Anyway, thanks again and looking forward to seeing ya'll in a couple of weeks at the Meet N' Greet in W. Bridgewater.  :)  Take care!