• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

#4 spark wire won't stay in, bike runs rough

Tony

Big Wheel
My bike was running rough and I found the #4 spark plug had come out. Now it won't stay for more than 3 miles or so. I don't feel a click when installed, should I? Is it time for a new wire? Only have 12k miles. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony, remove the wire and look into the end,you will see a slot that you can put a flat blade screw driver into and remove the end. Unscrew it and clean the threaded end and the clip that hold tension on the plug. It helps to have a plug to test the fit, you may need to tweek the wire clip to help it hole tight. I use some silicone spray on the boot to help the boot slip over the plug better and allow the clip to hold easier. Spray the inside of the boot and around the outside where it seals to the valve cover and it should stay in for you. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

NGK makes a hard plastic boot you can use to replace to rubber boot. Part number SB05F. Later, Charlie

I have the spark plug wire replacement kit from Murphs. And I really like these. The boots fit and work much nicer. I find it easier to remove them w/o pulling the wire/boot apart. And its easier to install them making sure you have good contact. I think they are worth it and would just replace them. Not only for fixing the problem but for the ease of maintenance when doing valve adjustments and you need to remove/reinstall these things.

...... you may need to tweek the wire clip to help it hole tight. What Norm said, but also check to see that the vent hole(s) in the rubber cap(s) are clear. They're there to vent the expanding air (from heat) trapped in the plug well. If clogged, the cap can dislodge like you're experiencing. Guy

Found #1 same thing, lubed with Dow Corning #4 and they went all the way in and stayed in. Just as you said, I don't think there is any other way with this design. For now it's ok, next replacement probably should be a hard boot. Thanks for the help.

This happened to me when I picked it up from the dealer after a valve adjust and plug change earlier this year. The number one plug boot kept coming up off the plug and the bike would run on 3 cylinders. I turned around and took it back to the shop, they saw the plug wire was not seated, pushed it back on and off I rode. 5 miles later-same thing. The shop was now closed so I rode home. I was able to push the boot back down again with a screw driver end and then went for another ride, same thing happened again. I took apart the wire cap as noted by Tony and put it all back together only to have the boot come off again. It was making the contact and clicking sound when pressed down, so I knew I was getting a good connection. The next day I went back to the dealer and talked with the mechanic. I asked him to replace that one plug again with a new one, and voila! Problem solved. The spark plug was defective in that it had a slight crack which allowed cylinder pressure past the plug and into the boot cap, pushing the cap off the plug! Very strange and I think very rare, but it happened to me on a 6000 mile bike, and now I have 15,000 with no problems.