• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

425 mile loop through W Colorado and E Utah

nickrides

Weather forecast was to be calm and cool. Left Telluride at 8:30 am and it was 34f in the canyon down valley heading west.
Had on my heated jacket and heated grips on, it was fine. Bluebird day- no clouds at all.
Out the west end through Norwood, Redvale to Naturita for Breakfast at this place called Uncle Reds Cafe.
Then West some more out through Paradox Valley up into the La Sal pass, this section is super good, new pavement constant radius tight corners, no traffic, none.
Down into the the valley SW of the La Sal Mts. great views of the Wild West and Henry Mountains, more great riding.
Did I say NO traffic?
North into S Moab to refuel as I was going onto a long section with no services. Backtracked 3 miles to get onto the La Sal Mt Loop Rd.
This road runs N/S along the west side of the La Sal Mts. This is another really, really good section and up at the top you go into Grand Co and they recently repaved this north to the Colorado River.
Down into Castle Valley, spectacular scenery, and the Colorado River and Fischer Towers. East now into Dewey Bridge and into Cisco.
Cisco is a dilapidated nothing wreck of a old town that is sometimes a movie set. I cruised around and took some pictures.
Onto I-70 for some Hi speed cruising to Grand Junction. Hooked up with 2 Mustangs and a new Z car. I saw them coming in the mirror as I was going 100 and they blew by me. I'll show them I thought. Let them get 1/4 mile in front of me, no traffic/wind and I ran it up to 145 and passed them, for a few seconds and all 3 blew by me! I let them go as I did not want to lose my License.
Then South a few miles to White water and then to Gateway to Naturita where my loop Closed. This 90 mile section from Whitewater to Naturita is some of the best riding in the Western US. New pavement, curvy the whole way and some really long constant radius corners. Awesome scenery.
Back home though Redvale, Norwood to Telluride.
The Concours ran great as usual, that is a GREAT open road touring machine!
425 miles 8.5 hrs
Nick 2014 C-14

La Sal Mts sport bike heaven
IMG_1760.jpgIMG_1769.jpg
Gateway Colorado

Last edited:
Proof there is a heaven - sounds like awesome riding. The cars blowing by at 145 mph that’s nothin fun I’ve experienced, crazy.

I think the brightest glowing factory Stang is ECU limited at 186 mph - of course we know that can be modified.

Thank You for sharing, ride safe.

Love your report Nick! Always look forward to riding in Colorado! Glad you got out while the weather is good! :cool: (y)

I think it should be mandatory that such trip reports come with a map! I'm sure it must be in the forum rules somewhere.....? :unsure:😁

..however instead of reporting this post to the moderator, I tried to help by making a map. aaah.....how'd I do?

https://goo.gl/maps/BX6pU1UyfkpnQGbM6

Fake bitchin an groaning aside, nice ride report.(y)(y)

EDIT: well I must have screwed that up, you said 425miles and Google says 358...or was I supposed to include a return to Telluride?

I've got to say Telluride has to be one of the best places [ for me anyway ] to be based as a rider.
Any direction you go N S E W its great. Very little traffic out this way. We generally go toward the good weather for the day.
As the crows flies just 10 miles east is Red Mt pass 11,000+ and then 60 miles west is the Dolores/ Colorado River basin desert area. Utah and THAT whole arena is easily accessible on day rides. The worlds largest Mesa- Grand Mesa is up between Grand Junction and Delta Co. Super nice up there. There are 6-12 day loops out of here from 240 - 600 miles. Heck I even did a 1000 IB ride loop instate this June.
I was very lucky to get in here early, moved here as a very young man in 1978. I'm a builder and have always built my own houses. Today Telluride is kinda pricey. But its still the same- Super scenic, very rural, very small town, it can't grow because the mountains come right into town and there too steep to build on. Great culture and food here, great community. GREAT ski area, one of the best in the US.
Big and steep and uncrowded. 3 ski lifts come out of the downtown/ main street area!
I'm a competition/ ride/ XC glider pilot and some of the best soaring in the US is here too!
Jeez I'm one lucky SOB.
High altitude here- which keeps the riff raff at bay, Telluride is at 8,750'- I live at 9,740' Too Cold for Homeless people. Very little crime. We leave our keys in the cars and generally don't lock our doors. Almost zero petty theft.
I still have to work and my biggest problem is to motivate to go work; there's SO much fun stuff to do beside work.
Add in Mt. Biking and Hiking and backpacking and Jeeping to the mix.
Ski season starts in a month and its dumping as I write this, whaaahooo, that's super fun that skiing stuff and real social.
I really like my Concours 14, THAT thing is a total blast as we all know. I keep her waxed up and detailed at all times.
Ride Safe out there boys
Nick
2014 C-14

I've got to say Telluride has to be one of the best places [ for me anyway ] to be based as a rider.
Any direction you go N S E W its great. Very little traffic out this way. We generally go toward the good weather for the day.
As the crows flies just 10 miles east is Red Mt pass 11,000+ and then 60 miles west is the Dolores/ Colorado River basin desert area. Utah and THAT whole arena is easily accessible on day rides. The worlds largest Mesa- Grand Mesa is up between Grand Junction and Delta Co. Super nice up there. There are 6-12 day loops out of here from 240 - 600 miles. Heck I even did a 1000 IB ride loop instate this June.
I was very lucky to get in here early, moved here as a very young man in 1978. I'm a builder and have always built my own houses. Today Telluride is kinda pricey. But its still the same- Super scenic, very rural, very small town, it can't grow because the mountains come right into town and there too steep to build on. Great culture and food here, great community. GREAT ski area, one of the best in the US.
Big and steep and uncrowded. 3 ski lifts come out of the downtown/ main street area!
I'm a competition/ ride/ XC glider pilot and some of the best soaring in the US is here too!
Jeez I'm one lucky SOB.
High altitude here- which keeps the riff raff at bay, Telluride is at 8,750'- I live at 9,740' Too Cold for Homeless people. Very little crime. We leave our keys in the cars and generally don't lock our doors. Almost zero petty theft.
I still have to work and my biggest problem is to motivate to go work; there's SO much fun stuff to do beside work.
Add in Mt. Biking and Hiking and backpacking and Jeeping to the mix.
Ski season starts in a month and its dumping as I write this, whaaahooo, that's super fun that skiing stuff and real social.
I really like my Concours 14, THAT thing is a total blast as we all know. I keep her waxed up and detailed at all times.
Ride Safe out there boys
Nick
2014 C-14
I agree Nick the Telluride area is a beautiful and scenic area with fantastic roads and sights nearby! Keeping having fun with some work mixed in! :cool: (y)

Marty
I stand corrected ; my ride Wasn't 425- sorry about that.
I'll try and be more accurate in the future!
Nick
2014 C-14

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 115
Marty
I stand corrected ; my ride Wasn't 425- sorry about that.
I'll try and be more accurate in the future!
Nick
2014 C-14
HA, close enough. I just needed to add the miles from Naturita to Telluride and I got pretty close. Thanks for the photos!

I have been on most of those roads, just not all in one trip or one even bike. It is great riding for sure. If anyone wants to try and duplicate your loop I would like to suggest incorporating Rimrock Drive to the loop. It's just west of Grand Junction.

I've updated the map including the return to Telluride from Naturita and came up with 411 miles but not knowing your exact starting point or exactly where your gas stop was in Moab I think it's the best I can do. Then of course there is what tire you're running on the rear creating mileage discrepancies. I've never once had my trip meter match a Google map mileage.

https://goo.gl/maps/b5hy5XvkNoPbsaZc9

Last edited:
Marty
We sometimes ride that Rimrock Drive on that loop. Its super pretty but very slow. Its posted 15-45 and crawling with rangers so coming off the interstate, its a big shift. Theres a grocery store at the bottom just off the interstate. We generally stop there get a bit to eat. Change cloths and get in a different mindset. The interstate in Utah is posted 80 so even soccer moms are doing 95-100. But the Rimrock Drive is a iconic piece of road! Lots of place where if you went off you can catch 1000'+ freefall.
Nick
2014 C-14