• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

4th of July 2013

31 coggers have viewed this post and not one comment..................

Are you guys OK?

jason

Those are some pretty cheap room rates for a holiday weekend.  Anything special going on in Stauton to celebrate the holiday?

COG-528 said:
If the annual COG Independence Ride to Big W gets scheduled for the preceding Sunday this might be doable.  I suppose it will depend for a lot of people on whether they can get away that weekend without creating disharmony at home. 

Beside, shouldn't you (Jason) now be promoting the CANAAN VALLEY WV WEEKENDER SEPT 28-30 instead of an event for next July?  :))

I think worrying about if anyone is getting enthusiastic about something a year away is probably worrying which shouldn't be done.

We usually go to Putt in Bay every 4th of July, bummer, maybe i'll just ride up solo and be a lil late next year.  :motonoises: i'm sure the family will understand

We stayed in Stauton at the Howard Johnson. We where ending a 9 day trip south on the Parkway, Deals Gap etc. ...

Had a fantastic meal at the Mill Street Grill. http://www.millstreetgrill.com/

Look at their menu and check out the Flintstone BBQ Platter! Joanne & I spilt one and could hardly eat it all.
It was GREAT!

We rode Rt 250 west out of town today all the way into WV. They should rename this road the Alpine Highway! IT's the closest thing to riding in the Alps I've found anywhere on the east coast! GREAT RIDE.

I know it's a long way off but hope a bunch of you can attend.

Jason

Tim & Trish,

Staunton really is a great location for a base camp. Good Motel, get downtown experience with many choices for food and adult beverages along with some history and shopping!

And you're only 20 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway or route 250 over into WV. Route 33 is close, as is 39 and all the other connector routes. The best the Blue Ridge & west VW have to offer.

I hope others take advantage of the holiday weekend and come and join us. I'm sure those that do come will be very happy with the experience.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS.
Jason
COG 62

I will put this on the calendar.  I love riding  in that area.  I was there for the Dog Days rally then went back for a long weekend on Labor Day.

That might fit in with my plan to ride the BRP next summer. Thanks for the notice.
Ron

Jason I may have to put this on my 2013 calendar of must go to COG events on the top of my list of m/c trips I want to go to in 2013 & I will be trailerin my bike there as it makes it easier for me!!! :)

Hey Mike my wife Barb doesn't ride nor does she have an interest in ever ridin a m/c w/ me due to her fear & that's OK w/ me as I really don't like havin passengers cause then I can ride the way I like to ride!!! :)

She has come to many of the COG events & other m/c events over the years & she always drives in her cage alone all the time & most times she follows behind me & we stay together & when I stop she stops & I think only once did we take a different rte to a Rally cause I wanted to play on the way there on a different rte there!!! :)

When she can't come a m/c event it's no big deal to her cause she knows ridin is my 1st Love & always will be & I go to almost all the m/c events thru out the year w/out her anyway as she doesn't stop me from enjoyin my 1st Love cause she knows better!!! :)

I will say I rode w/ other m/c clubs & did some events w/ my wife cause I was thinkin about joinin them also & the COG was the only ridin club that made her feel welcome & at home, so I no longer ride w/ any of those other clubs as COG rocks & most all of u r OK people except for Steve Smith as he guilted me into joinin COG, so it's all his fault that u COG'ers have to put up w/ me all these years!!! hahaha  :))

Mike just rent a trailer or look around for a used 1 or Lowes has 1 u can weld a m/c chock to it & just keep it in a storage place as that's where I keep mine along w/ the bikes & everything else that can't fit in the basement of r condo!!! :)

Since this thread really went wwwwaaaaayyyyyy off topic. I cleaned up this thread in respects with off topic posts. Please lets try to keep this on topic. If you need to discuss options in respect to SO's and rallies. Please take it to PM or start another thread. I'm not pointing fingers or scolding anyone. This just took the thread way off topic.

Thanks folks    ;)

Thank you, Thank you..................

Now back to riding in West Virginia & Virginia over the independance holiday 2013!!

Jerry Gowan, you in? Nice pool for you older guys to float around in.

I wanted to do Spring Fling in Staunton but they are TOO busy with spring graduations going on. lots of local colleges sending out the future of America that time of year so we're stuck with the 4th of July!

If you can't have fun in Staunton, Va over the 4th of July holiday something is wrong!

BOOK THose rooms.
jason

gsjay said:
Thank you, Thank you..................
Now back to riding in West Virginia & Virginia over the independance holiday 2013!!
Jerry Gowen, you in? Nice pool for you older guys to float around in.
I wanted to do Spring Fling in Staunton but they are TOO busy with spring graduations going on. lots of local colleges sending out the future of America that time of year so we're stuck with the 4th of July!
If you can't have fun in Staunton, Va over the 4th of July holiday something is wrong!
BOOK THose rooms.
jason
Cpt Bob. I take this posting to be offense to older club members. Age discrimination at its worst. If it wasn't for us "older guys", you young whipper snappers like Jason wouldn't have a club to have a rally for. Sorry for getting upset, but you guys know just how sensitive I am. HAHAHAHAHAHA I will pee in the pool for you Jason... And that will not be a snickers bar floating in the pool. If I am alive, I will be there just to do the above. HAHA

It's a long time out and there is NO fee to attend the 4th of July event in Staunton, Va you can and are encouraged to register online so that we know how many folks are coming.

tks,
Jason

gsjay said:
31 coggers have viewed this post and not one comment..................

Are you guys OK?

jason

man Jay, that's a heck of a ride from up here..... ::)
but I can't say no to my old backyard......I'll be trying to make this one!!!
:beerchug: :great:

Silver Wolf said:
Mike just rent a trailer or look around for a used 1 or Lowes has 1 u can weld a m/c chock to it & just keep it in a storage place as that's where I keep mine along w/ the bikes & everything else that can't fit in the basement of r condo!!! :)

I envy you guys that have vehicles that can pull a trailer. Maybe someday I'll have a light truck or something, in which case a bike trailer will be about the first thing I get after that.

Oh wait, I have a great trailer in the garage, I just don't have any way to pull it.  :-[

Well I'm sitting here Saturday morning enjoying a cup fo Joe and watching the snow fall outside..............
Dreaming of warmer weather and enjoying the February issues of RoadRUNNER magazine.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/

Nice article on pg 64, Virginia Wine Tour, A sampling of Appellations.
All of the locations mentioned could be visited while in Staunton over the July 4th Weekend.

they mentioned this location in Staunton. Looks like our kind of place.
www.dairy-rite.com

jason

they mentioned this location in Staunton. Looks like our kind of place.
www.dairy-rite.com

I think I would like this place. I don't know if the wife and I can eat a monster burger on the connie :)

I had a call from a member who had issues trying to book a room....................

There was a new person working on the weekend and didn't know how to handle the group block.

I called this morning and got it cleared up. If you have any problems give me a shout.

Jason

Well, 8 inches of wet snow this morning.........................

But it will be the 4th of July before you know it.

Sure to be a fun weekend.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS

jason

Ok, spring has arrived and most can start thinking about the summer riding season.

This 4th of July weekend getaway will offer great riding and great food in a great location! 

Start at the front of this thread and catch up on all the info.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS
jason

Why you should come to the Ride In 4th of July weekend.

1. There is great riding in every direction, some of the best in the east coast.  You can ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, routes 33, 250 and 39. Some of the best riding in the east coast and good to hone your skills. 33 & 250 offer alpine like opportunities much like the Alps, just shorter.
2. Staunton[/url] is COOL as Shit! Lots of shops, re...he motel has a pool. BOOK THOSE ROOMS. jason

Ok, just got off the phone with the Howard Johnson.

We have 12 rooms booked so it sounds like someone is coming  :)

The front desk guy said the rooms are held in my name, Jason Kaplitz so be sure to mentiong that when you call.
I am NOT PAYING FOR YOUR ROOMS!  I know you guys well.

See you soon.
jason

gsjay said:

The front desk guy said the rooms are held in my name, Jason Kaplitz so be sure to mentiong that when you call.

See you soon.
jason

12 rooms but only 2 registered with guests.  I know that this is a non-rally event but people going should still register so others will know whom to look for.
567301-tn_searching_031.gif

COG-528 said:
gsjay said:

See you soon.
jason

12 rooms but only 2 registered with guests.  I know that this is a non-rally event but people going should still register so others will know whom to look for.
567301-tn_searching_031.gif

Maybe they made the reservations to guarantee the room and rate, but yet are not sure if they are coming. I do that quite often, since it's easier to wait to register than have to rescind the registration. Even more so where there are fee's involved. I'm not saying that's the reason, but it's mine a lot of the time.  ;)

Last call....................

Bring good tires as there are no straight roads near Staunton.

jason

mattchewn said:
Jason,
Any routes planned? GPX files?
Matt

No routes planned. TOO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM.

I'm sure we'll spend some time on the Blue Ridge, and we'll have to do a 250 / 33 loop. And Rt 39 though the Goshen Pass is a must do.
jason

Ok, I might get beat on for this, but I am really hoping that this will be a "spirited" riding group? I like technical riding and fast sweepers as well as scenery, as long as the scenery keeps changing at a moderate to rapid pace!
Matt
BTW: I registered and may be adding a guest. Looking forward to getting out of DC for a bit!

Well, there weren't many COGGERS in attendance but we had a great time!
About 20 riders in all, most from my local riding groups but at least 3 or 4 cog members. Robert, Matt, myself, Phil...........
Staunton is a GREAT town and a great location for a bike event. Great riding in every direction and great food and drink within walking distance.
The motel is nice, the A/C works great and the Pool is haven after a long day on the bike in almost 90 degree temps......
Watch for this event again in the future. Maybe a real Rally?
tks,
jason

A heartfelt thanks to everyone there.
Possibly the best motorcycle related event I've ever attended.
Alex and I had a blast.
Robert

And a special thanks for the help when my battery bought the farm.

Jason,
Thanks for this weekend. I had a really great time meeting you and all the Johnstown gang. Really great time riding all those super roads around Staunton. I am looking forward to the next time!
Matt

works4me said:
A heartfelt thanks to everyone there.
Possibly the best motorcycle related event I've ever attended.
Alex and I had a blast.
Robert

And a special thanks for the help when my battery bought the farm.

Robert, we enjoyed you and Alex's company............he's a very nice young man.
Glad you enjoyed yourself.
We always have a good time!
thanks for coming,
jason