• WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ABLE TO POST AND ACCESS MEMBER ONLY CONTENT AND FEATURES
    Join / Upgrade / Renew your membership to enjoy full membership and posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

6th Annual Sport-touring School February 19th, 2022

floid

I am planning to bring my 40' RV. Is there room near the bleachers? Is there an electric hookup? I'll aim to get there Friday around 2-3pm.

I have a Solo Stove (Bonfire - med size - something like 24")/. I will bring, along with some extra wood.

Douglasjre

The latest forecast shows the weather is going to be gorgeous. A cold front comes through Thursday night Friday morning and then it clears up by Friday later afternoon. We won't need any fans we won't be sweating. Some years I go and it's hotter than heck. The canopy is to protect you from the sun all day. Don't worry if you don't own one because there's enough of our canopy's that we can all gather under them

There's plenty of room for an RV. They have hookups I don't remember 30 or 50 amps. There is a small fee of course for that and the RV area is right next to us at turn 1. Everybody should be pitting it turn one area of the paddock and that's also right next in front of the bleachers.

The licensed guys who will be an expert group will be at the other end in between pitting and pit out otherwise known as closer to turn 14. We should avoid them and stay at our and. This also puts us closer to the classrooms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220214-111213.png
    Screenshot_20220214-111213.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

floid

Does anyone by chance have a spare front caliper bolt (Part #2 in the attached diagram)? I had to have the brake pad pin (#1) drilled out and was able to replace that, but now the caliper bold head stripped out. Not enough time to get another unless I can rig something from the local hardware store.

Attachments

• 1645053189814.png
    1645053189814.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 37

Douglasjre

So much šŸ˜Š it felt great being back at the track w COG. 4 guys in Intermediate, rest are Novice group. Some pro racers at the other end of the track. Only one Connie was dropped and that was standing still in the pit šŸ¤Ŗ

Attachments

• PXL_20220218_232215652.jpg
    PXL_20220218_232215652.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20220219_220032676.jpg
    PXL_20220219_220032676.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20220219_221615320.jpg
    PXL_20220219_221615320.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20220218_232855811.jpg
    PXL_20220218_232855811.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20220220_005810704.jpg
    PXL_20220220_005810704.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 60

Douglasjre

The best videos are the ones that you take with a GoPro and it's actually a better shot of your buddy. If you could try to upload a link to your GoPro videos here and everybody will have one of them themselves

Hydroman

What a great, great weekend. I'd like to send out a super thanks to Doug for making this happen and for sharing some if his wisdom with us. We will all be better riders because of him.

connie_rider

Thank you!
I had to watch it twice. It's addictive!!
I was surprised how much I remembered about the curves/apex/etc.
Doug must have done good 2 years ago, because I remembered every turn.
(Please don't tell him I sed that)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:

flcerberus

Just wanted to thank all the attendees. I have volunteered to help with this 5 times now and you all make it worth my time. It is great to see you put the classroom lessons together on the track! I took a lot of pictures and will be posting a link for those interested soon.

neil355

My overall impressions, from the beginning. I bought a used 2013 Concours 14 in 2016 after moving back to the US from Germany (had a 2013 ZZR 1400, ZZR 1200, Yamaha Wildstar 1600 and a few other bikes there). Due to my line of work, I was mostly in airplanes and other countries until Covid shutdown life as we used to know it. My itch to ride motorcycles started up again and I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to ride with others on the same or similar motorcycles?" I tried a local group ride once, but let's just say, riding with Harleys didn't harmonize. I bumped into Eric in Walmart (he parked his Connie beside my BMW) and he mentioned COG. I signed up as a "Forum Subscriber" to see what the COG is about and went to the 2021 SE Year End Blast, where I met Doug. He mentioned the race training and that sounded like exactly what I needed to really gain faith in my machine and improve my riding skills. Signed up.

Once you arrive at the track, it's non-stop. Go, go, go. Drove to the track on my Connie and arrived at 4:30pm on Friday. Get to race registration before they close at 5, start taping up my motorcycle, setup tent before 5:30, then track walk until sundown. Doug took us around the track and explained the lines. Felt familiar due to the track course prep work. Went to dinner. Shot the breeze and watched some YouTube track videos until 1am.

Saturday: go, go, go. Up at 6:30, coffee, finish taping up my bike and last checks, get in leathers, head to safety briefing, Doug training session #1. 9:40 start bike sighting laps with track coaches, basically 2nd gear no brakes needed around the track. Then several more laps to complete the session, back to paddock at 10. Park the bike, back to class for training session #2, back to the bike to start session #2 at 10:40 for 20 min of track time. And that repeated every hour except for lunch.

There were 3 groups; advanced, intermediate and novice. Most of us were in novice, a few in intermediate. Most of the advanced are licensed racers. We met a former licensed racer with the full setup, even he decided to ride in intermediate. We saw him do a power wheelie out of turn 11 later in the day. Experts were riding around 1:25 laps. For comparison, fastest lap I did (that I had on my GoPro) was a 1:51.

The race training - was excellent. Clear, structured and building on each former session. I had attended one race training before in France. Or at least that's what I used to say. I won't say that anymore. Frankly, my former "training" I would more categorize as track familiarization training, rather than race training when compared to Doug's training. There's so many things I've learned from Doug, which I would now argue, need to be taught, otherwise you haven't learned the basics. Without these basics, going out of the track by the seat of your pants is dangerous. With the basics in place, it's safe. Apexing, two finger braking, riding at high rpms, using the gas to regulate where your bike is positioned on the track in a turn, body position and how to hang off the bike, trail braking, blipping the gas when downshifting, ... so much more.

Bike setup advice from Doug:
Me: what tire pressure should I run?
Doug: 28, maybe 30 psi, can go even lower than that
Me: ??? (dumb look on face, dropping tire pressure to 30 psi thinking I'm going to die later)
Result was, that's what a gripping tire feels like! My blue whale was planted solid on the track.

Racing advice from Doug:
Me: I'm having a hard time getting the right line through turn 6
Doug: Go faster
Me: ?? (dumb look on face)
Doug: ... and no brakes. Carry more speed 3 through 5 and you'll be positioned better for 6.
Me: ?? O... K ... (out on the track later) go faster, no brakes ... go faster, no brakes
After that, turns 2 - 6 were my favorite and I passed many people there, even on super sport bikes. I really made up a lot of time in this section of the track the rest of the day because of this tip. And I was able to do it without feeling like I'm about to crash.

Epiphany after epiphany basically the whole day whenever I took a piece of advice and just followed it.

If you're hesitant to go out on a race track, Jennings is the track to do it on. Long sweeping curves and lots of grip without elevation issues.

If you haven't done a race training, all I can say is, you don't know what you don't know. Do it!

Thanks so much for the training Doug! Now I need to take a year to internalize everything and make it automatic ...

BTW: I'll be changing from "Forum Subscriber" to "Member" soon.

floid

This is the 2nd time I've attended this. First time was the first year. Doug drove home some of the concepts that I glossed over the first time around. I looked up some other "novice training" and "race training" schools - they have a similar agenda to what Doug covered, and cost is between $350 - $550. Doug did it just to hang with everyone. Many thanks to Doug & Wendy!!

laker9142

It was a beautiful day at Jennings. The track is grippy, but tough on tires. My tire was new that morning. Thats a Bridgestone S22 and worked well until it overheated. I really had to feather the throttle to keep from spinning in the tight section. Especially turn 6, that pavement was different. Doug helped me out with suggesting lowering the rear pressure way down, so I put it at 30 cold. It really helped to spread the load and kept the tire cooler. Still had to feather the throttle in the afternoon. 08 has no traction control. Can you tell which way the track turns? CW or CCW?

Attachments

• 20220219_085325[4127].jpg
    20220219_085325[4127].jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220219_085434[4128].jpg
    20220219_085434[4128].jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220219_120326[4129].jpg
    20220219_120326[4129].jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220224_174551[4133].jpg
    20220224_174551[4133].jpg
    125 KB · Views: 56

texas.devops

South Central AAD
It was a beautiful day at Jennings. The track is grippy, but tough on tires. My tire was new that morning. Thats a Bridgestone S22 and worked well until it overheated. I really had to feather the throttle to keep from spinning in the tight section. Especially turn 6, that pavement was different. Doug helped me out with suggesting lowering the rear pressure way down, so I put it at 30 cold. It really helped to spread the load and kept the tire cooler. Still had to feather the throttle in the afternoon. 08 has no traction control. Can you tell which way the track turns? CW or CCW?

Track turns counter-clockwise it would appear. LOL
You'll need to make a heck of a lotta right turns on the way home to balance things out and make it last much more. :^ )