• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

6th Annual Sport-touring School February 19th, 2022

Douglasjre

This annual event is designed to be educational and fun. The training is individual enough that newer riders can learn new skills, while seasoned riders capitalize upon their existing skill-sets. This track was designed with large safe runoffs. Void of cars, intersections, trees and guardrails you will be able to implement new concepts from the classroom with the safety of a purpose-built training facility. You will be coached on the track where you will practice the theories taught in the classroom.

Skill comes first, speed comes later. "You have to slow down if you want to go fast." Prior years event:

If you want to just come hang out with the gang and see what it's all about that's cool. You will regret not signing up, but it's ok. Come be a part of this. If you don't sign up for the school and just sit in on class and think you'll go try these new skills on a public roadway...good luck. That's like watching boxing then jumping in the ring with Mike Tyson before practicing. The track is a safe place to learn. Lord only knows how we survived learning to ride on public roads.

What This Is
This is an advanced rider training course for those looking to learn more than public roadways can safely permit. Certificates will be issued to participants who safely complete this course. Check with your insurance company for insurance discounts.

What This Is Not
This is NOT racing school. While this does take place at a racetrack, this is not race school, and racing will not take place at this event.

Who Should Attend
If you have more fun in the turns than you do on the straights... If you get that Zen feeling when you’ve mastered your favorite road...or if you have ever scared yourself... Then this event is for you. You will have a former CCS/WERA licensed racer teaching in the classroom, and there will be licensed racers coaching you on track. They have mastered the concepts you will be learning.

Spectators (family and friends) are encouraged to come. The gate fee has been $10/person (children under 12 free) for the weekend, and includes camping for the whole weekend.

Rider Requirements

• Helmet - Undamaged, DOT full face helmet with face shield. No flip-up (modular) helmets.
  • Riding Boots - Must cover the ankles. Rentals available
  • Riding Gloves - Gloves must cover entire hand and extend over the wrist Rentals available
  • Leather Suits - Leather suits may be one piece or two piece that zips together the entire way around (made of leather ONLY). Rentals available
The Jennings website lists rental gear prices. Feel free to call the Track Shop if you fear you have an odd size. Or just buy a suit. It's the holidays. Never hurts to ask. You can wear yours on public roadways so it's not like it's a one-time-thing. The track is like crack. Most people get addicted so you'll use the suit there again.

Bike Requirements
Your tires should be 75% new. All glass and lights must be covered with blue painters’ tape (available at Home Depot/Lowe's/Amazon/eBay), and there must be no leaks. You can bring whatever bike you want. Contact Douglas Re (douglasjre@gmail.com) if you have questions about your bike.

Track Maps
It is best to memorize the track by drawing the map before attending. Learning the track in advance makes it easier to focus on the skills when you get there. It would be a shame if you wasted the whole morning learning the track instead of the skills. Please bring your track map and a pen with you to the track. How to draw a track map:

1. Google the Track Map
2. Look at image of map, pull out a stack of 8.5x11 computer paper and use the whole page to try and draw the map. Do it again, and again.
3. After 5-10 drawings try drawing it from memory. Compare to downloaded image. Do it again and again
4. After you have a drawing you like, draw in turn numbers.
5. Now Youtube "CCS Novice race Jennings" and watch their line.
6. Draw map features like trees, start finish line, rumble strips, things you see in line of sight
7. Watch Youtube again and find a vid where you can see gear shift indicator/hear gears a guy is in. Many novices use stock gearing so don't watch Expert videos.
8. Write gear shifts onto your map
9. Take note of the race line. Much more talk on race-line/alternate-line Fri night and Sat in class.
10. Try to write the turns from memory starting with turn 1 It'll look like this: LLLRLLRLRLLLRR
11. Have a friend quiz you by having them say say turn number, you'll say L or R
12. Next, skip ahead randomly in YouTube videos. See if you know which turn you're in, and which is coming up next

It's OK to use over 30 pieces of computer paper to learn the map. Paper is cheap. I have a track map for every track I've ever been to. You need to do your homework before school to get the most out of this. If you waste your whole morning learning the track you'll come to tell me I was right. I don't want to be right.

Camping
Camping for the weekend is included with the gate fee ($10/person payable on arrival). We plan to have a modest fire each night. The track gates lock each night at 9:45pm sharp. We have indoor bathrooms/showers for everybody that are open 24 hrs. We like you more the more you use them.

Food concessions are available for breakfast and lunch. Prices are reasonable and the American fare is excellent. You may also bring your own snacks/meals/BBQ/portable kitchen. One (1) gallon of drinking water/rider/day is recommended. Don't forget adult beverages for the evenings. Would we forget that.

Don't plan on showing up Saturday morning. There's a lot going on that day. Arrive Friday afternoon after 2pm but before the track walk. On Saturday night, the plans are to go to the Rodeo restaurant (Authentic Mexican) at Exit 5 Lake Park, GA for dinner. Then plan on camping trackside Saturday evening. After all, a campfire and adult beverages taste better at the track you were on!

Photos
There will be a professional photographer at the track who will have track photos of you available for your purchase at the end of the day.

Arrival - Friday Afternoon
You need to get to the track Friday afternoon. We will then do the well known "track walk" exactly 45 minutes before sunset (Google determines time). Trust me, you will get a workout mentally and physically. Come with a clear head and be prepared to work hard. Do not come thinking you'll be faster than your friend. You might be the fastest of all your friends, but you're all the slowest guys here. You'll be shocked at what skills others have.

COVID-19
CDC makes the rules, not me.

Registration & Fees
All registration must be done online through the website: https://jenningsgp.com/store/p129/JGP_Track_Day_Saturday_February_19,_2022.html
You are only if Expert group if you are a license racer. Intermediate group is for those guys with many track days and track schools under their belt. Novice is for the rest. You're still novice if you've attended once before. The day you will sign-up/pay for is SATURDAY FEBRUARY 19, 2022.

Riders between the ages of 12-18: Please contact Jennings GP for more details.

Online registration will close when Jennings sells all its' spots. They will sell out prior to the event. Last minute sign-ups won't happen. Every year somebody tries....

Questions & Additional Information
If you have any questions, please contact event organizer Douglas Re at douglasjre@gmail.com or 407-791-1543
For additional information about the Jennings GP track: jenningsgp.com.

Last edited:
👍 as you all sign up can you post up on here so I can do a headcount?

Cycle gear is having a killer deal on 1-piece track suits. I haven't seen prices this low in almost a decade. At this price I'd buy one even if just occasional use. Maybe Santa can get it for you. Your suit should be skin tight. No wiggle room whatsoever.

Canyon cages tip over bars and Hwy pegs will get in your way. You will not be able to lean your bike over as far as you would without them. I warned you. You want them off the bike before this event. if you have a peg lowering kit take that off too. I don't know where people like to mount accessory lights these days but if they're mounted on the side of the bike take those off as well because you're gonna lean this bike over until the mirror nearly touches the ground. If you don't take these hard parts off you're going to drag them and I'm going to tell you to slow down and you will be disappointed that you didn't take them off.

I've seen a C10 leaned over so far that the top of the centerstand touches the track. Do you know the part that you step on with your foot? He was dragging that.

I'm trying to find someone to come in from Texas with me..
If successful, I'll be there.

On the Sidici Suit, I thought about buying one on my first Training Day with Doug.
Thought; Nahh, I'll never need it again. I was wrong. I'm hooked.
Note; If you have one, (and loose interest) you could always sell it to another when they do their first track with Doug.

PS: I'm trying to set up another Training Day (like Doug's) in Central Texas. (Near Dallas)
If successful, it will be in April or May. It's called "Ride Smart".
My biggest issue has been finding people that are interested in attending.
So, if anyone would be interested in a Texas Training Day, please let me know.
(I've already begged Doug into being there with us)

Ride safe, Ted

I wasn’t expecting to find this opportunity when I logged in today, what a pleasant surprise. I’m REGISTERED. I’ll run in from Eastern Oklahoma (suburban Fort Smith, AR) if anyone wants to partner up. I’m new to Sport Bikes but I am an otherwise experienced rider having completed numerous riding skills courses and MSF spring skills tune-ups with my former riding club. I’m fearful of group riders having an inherent distrust of skill sets and the discipline of group riders after my police career and experience with m/c crash scenes. I have partnered with former scout car partners for many safe and successful trips. If I sound like someone you think you can make the run with in February please let me know.

I wasn’t expecting to find this opportunity when I logged in today, what a pleasant surprise. I’m REGISTERED. I’ll run in from Eastern Oklahoma (suburban Fort Smith, AR) if anyone wants to partner up. I’m new to Sport Bikes but I am an otherwise experienced rider having completed numerous riding skills courses and MSF spring skills tune-ups with my former riding club. I’m fearful of group riders having an inherent distrust of skill sets and the discipline of group riders after my police career and experience with m/c crash scenes. I have partnered with former scout car partners for many safe and successful trips. If I sound like someone you think you can make the run with in February please let me know.

I'm just east of you 150 miles or so, if I attend again this year I'll be riding down as I usually do. Will be holding off on registration to see how winter is going, could be really crappy weather that time of year for a long scooter ride.

Last edited:
Doug,
I didn't find any information on the Jennings website about rental suits but did find a blog that stated Jennings price for a 1 day rental was $70. per day.
I can confirm that price, at least from last February. I rented a XXL for 2 days at 70/day. (Not with cog)

Doug, I'll be there again this year to help out wherever needed. Damn, I sure wish they'd let me ride my scoot around the track one time, It would be a blast. No regrets though, I enjoy seeing the big grins and the surprised looks on the riders faces at the end of the day when they look at their tires!

Doug, I'll be there again this year to help out wherever needed. Damn, I sure wish they'd let me ride my scoot around the track one time, It would be a blast. No regrets though, I enjoy seeing the big grins and the surprised looks on the riders faces at the end of the day when they look at their tires!
+1 on being there to help out. My first time there. Coming from north AL, I likely will stop and stay with family Thur night in Albany, GA, before making the final sprint down on Fri.

Looking at coming down as a spectator, and if I can be of help/support somewhere.
Hi Doug, ....

Sadly, I won't be able to make the trek down (from N. AL) & back. Darn, going to miss this one again. Sorry about that Doug, as I had promised to help out!

I can, however, make the day trip, Brrr RTE in GA on Sat., Feb. 19.

Canyon cages tip over bars and Hwy pegs will get in your way. You will not be able to lean your bike over as far as you would without them. I warned you. You want them off the bike before this event. if you have a peg lowering kit take that off too. I don't know where people like to mount accessory lights these days but if they're mounted on the side of the bike take those off as well because you're gonna lean this bike over until the mirror nearly touches the ground. If you don't take these hard parts off you're going to drag them and I'm going to tell you to slow down and you will be disappointed that you didn't take them off.

I've seen a C10 leaned over so far that the top of the centerstand touches the track. Do you know the part that you step on with your foot? He was dragging that.
Hey Doug Re,
I'm signed up to ride this year. Not just follow you around spotting things. Really looking forward to it. I'll be on my BMW F900R Sport Style with 6axis imu that tells me lean angle, lean abs brake use, dynamic traction control use, lap timers, quick shifter, brembo brakes... hope I have time to look at the track. I hope I trail brake well because on public roads I have to speed up for corners, not slow down. I still remember the 14 corners from the time I prepared but sold my spot. Thanks for continuing to provide these opportunities to learn.
Roader06 (Roy)

Roy glad you're coming. Make sure you're paid up with the track. Also, you need to review the track in great detail. I highly urge you to use the method outlined above so the morning sessions aren't wasted.

See ya there!

Track require we use a fire pit to keep our blaze off the ground. Who can bring a pit? And who can bring some wood? 🙏

We have a curriculum just for intermediate guys. You've got all the basic stuff already. This will not be the basics taught in Novice class. You will learn to confidently bury a knee, turn with the throttle (not the bike), and how to pass outside/inside. Hint: It's not by leaning the bike. You intermediate guys will see why we don't allow passing in turns in Novice. Intermediate guys need to know this one. We can teach it by third session of the morning. Knowing this allows you to know how Expert does inside passes. And no, it's not be leaning over more....

Oh, and how many of you guys have been to a race school already? Call or text me if so....

Last edited:
Can you guys text me so I have a list of who's coming? And tell me which group novice/intermediate/spectator 407-791-1543

The Great Leader (??) showing me how to do the twisties.

Ride safe, Ted

Attachments

• DSC02417.JPG
    DSC02417.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC02425.JPG
    DSC02425.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC02564.JPG
    DSC02564.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 121
Matt is being generous and bringing plenty of firewood. Still need a firepit!!!!!

Who has one they can put in back of truck/trailer?

As mentioned on the phone with Doug, I have a firepit (2' diameter inside) which can be used if someone can pick it up. I live in St Johns between Jax and St Augustine off 210.

Next Fri we should set-up at the end near Turn1 near the bleachers.

Anybody feel daring enough to post up their track map here?

I am planning to bring my 40' RV. Is there room near the bleachers? Is there an electric hookup? I'll aim to get there Friday around 2-3pm.

I have a Solo Stove (Bonfire - med size - something like 24")/. I will bring, along with some extra wood.

The latest forecast shows the weather is going to be gorgeous. A cold front comes through Thursday night Friday morning and then it clears up by Friday later afternoon. We won't need any fans we won't be sweating. Some years I go and it's hotter than heck. The canopy is to protect you from the sun all day. Don't worry if you don't own one because there's enough of our canopy's that we can all gather under them

There's plenty of room for an RV. They have hookups I don't remember 30 or 50 amps. There is a small fee of course for that and the RV area is right next to us at turn 1. Everybody should be pitting it turn one area of the paddock and that's also right next in front of the bleachers.

The licensed guys who will be an expert group will be at the other end in between pitting and pit out otherwise known as closer to turn 14. We should avoid them and stay at our and. This also puts us closer to the classrooms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220214-111213.png
    Screenshot_20220214-111213.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Does anyone by chance have a spare front caliper bolt (Part #2 in the attached diagram)? I had to have the brake pad pin (#1) drilled out and was able to replace that, but now the caliper bold head stripped out. Not enough time to get another unless I can rig something from the local hardware store.

Attachments

• 1645053189814.png
    1645053189814.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 99
So much 😊 it felt great being back at the track w COG. 4 guys in Intermediate, rest are Novice group. Some pro racers at the other end of the track. Only one Connie was dropped and that was standing still in the pit 🤪

Attachments

• PXL_20220218_232215652.jpg
    PXL_20220218_232215652.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20220219_220032676.jpg
    PXL_20220219_220032676.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20220219_221615320.jpg
    PXL_20220219_221615320.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20220218_232855811.jpg
    PXL_20220218_232855811.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20220220_005810704.jpg
    PXL_20220220_005810704.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 119
The best videos are the ones that you take with a GoPro and it's actually a better shot of your buddy. If you could try to upload a link to your GoPro videos here and everybody will have one of them themselves

What a great, great weekend. I'd like to send out a super thanks to Doug for making this happen and for sharing some if his wisdom with us. We will all be better riders because of him.

Thank you!
I had to watch it twice. It's addictive!!
I was surprised how much I remembered about the curves/apex/etc.
Doug must have done good 2 years ago, because I remembered every turn.
(Please don't tell him I sed that)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank all the attendees. I have volunteered to help with this 5 times now and you all make it worth my time. It is great to see you put the classroom lessons together on the track! I took a lot of pictures and will be posting a link for those interested soon.

My overall impressions, from the beginning. I bought a used 2013 Concours 14 in 2016 after moving back to the US from Germany (had a 2013 ZZR 1400, ZZR 1200, Yamaha Wildstar 1600 and a few other bikes there). Due to my line of work, I was mostly in airplanes and other countries until Covid shutdown life as we used to know it. My itch to ride motorcycles started up again and I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to ride with others on the same or similar motorcycles?" I tried a local group ride once, but let's just say, riding with Harleys didn't harmonize. I bumped into Eric in Walmart (he parked his Connie beside my BMW) and he mentioned COG. I signed up as a "Forum Subscriber" to see what the COG is about and went to the 2021 SE Year End Blast, where I met Doug. He mentioned the race training and that sounded like exactly what I needed to really gain faith in my machine and improve my riding skills. Signed up.

Once you arrive at the track, it's non-stop. Go, go, go. Drove to the track on my Connie and arrived at 4:30pm on Friday. Get to race registration before they close at 5, start taping up my motorcycle, setup tent before 5:30, then track walk until sundown. Doug took us around the track and explained the lines. Felt familiar due to the track course prep work. Went to dinner. Shot the breeze and watched some YouTube track videos until 1am.

Saturday: go, go, go. Up at 6:30, coffee, finish taping up my bike and last checks, get in leathers, head to safety briefing, Doug training session #1. 9:40 start bike sighting laps with track coaches, basically 2nd gear no brakes needed around the track. Then several more laps to complete the session, back to paddock at 10. Park the bike, back to class for training session #2, back to the bike to start session #2 at 10:40 for 20 min of track time. And that repeated every hour except for lunch.

There were 3 groups; advanced, intermediate and novice. Most of us were in novice, a few in intermediate. Most of the advanced are licensed racers. We met a former licensed racer with the full setup, even he decided to ride in intermediate. We saw him do a power wheelie out of turn 11 later in the day. Experts were riding around 1:25 laps. For comparison, fastest lap I did (that I had on my GoPro) was a 1:51.

The race training - was excellent. Clear, structured and building on each former session. I had attended one race training before in France. Or at least that's what I used to say. I won't say that anymore. Frankly, my former "training" I would more categorize as track familiarization training, rather than race training when compared to Doug's training. There's so many things I've learned from Doug, which I would now argue, need to be taught, otherwise you haven't learned the basics. Without these basics, going out of the track by the seat of your pants is dangerous. With the basics in place, it's safe. Apexing, two finger braking, riding at high rpms, using the gas to regulate where your bike is positioned on the track in a turn, body position and how to hang off the bike, trail braking, blipping the gas when downshifting, ... so much more.

Bike setup advice from Doug:
Me: what tire pressure should I run?
Doug: 28, maybe 30 psi, can go even lower than that
Me: ??? (dumb look on face, dropping tire pressure to 30 psi thinking I'm going to die later)
Result was, that's what a gripping tire feels like! My blue whale was planted solid on the track.

Racing advice from Doug:
Me: I'm having a hard time getting the right line through turn 6
Doug: Go faster
Me: ?? (dumb look on face)
Doug: ... and no brakes. Carry more speed 3 through 5 and you'll be positioned better for 6.
Me: ?? O... K ... (out on the track later) go faster, no brakes ... go faster, no brakes
After that, turns 2 - 6 were my favorite and I passed many people there, even on super sport bikes. I really made up a lot of time in this section of the track the rest of the day because of this tip. And I was able to do it without feeling like I'm about to crash.

Epiphany after epiphany basically the whole day whenever I took a piece of advice and just followed it.

If you're hesitant to go out on a race track, Jennings is the track to do it on. Long sweeping curves and lots of grip without elevation issues.

If you haven't done a race training, all I can say is, you don't know what you don't know. Do it!

Thanks so much for the training Doug! Now I need to take a year to internalize everything and make it automatic ...

BTW: I'll be changing from "Forum Subscriber" to "Member" soon.

This is the 2nd time I've attended this. First time was the first year. Doug drove home some of the concepts that I glossed over the first time around. I looked up some other "novice training" and "race training" schools - they have a similar agenda to what Doug covered, and cost is between $350 - $550. Doug did it just to hang with everyone. Many thanks to Doug & Wendy!!

It was a beautiful day at Jennings. The track is grippy, but tough on tires. My tire was new that morning. Thats a Bridgestone S22 and worked well until it overheated. I really had to feather the throttle to keep from spinning in the tight section. Especially turn 6, that pavement was different. Doug helped me out with suggesting lowering the rear pressure way down, so I put it at 30 cold. It really helped to spread the load and kept the tire cooler. Still had to feather the throttle in the afternoon. 08 has no traction control. Can you tell which way the track turns? CW or CCW?

Attachments

• 20220219_085325[4127].jpg
    20220219_085325[4127].jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220219_085434[4128].jpg
    20220219_085434[4128].jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220219_120326[4129].jpg
    20220219_120326[4129].jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220224_174551[4133].jpg
    20220224_174551[4133].jpg
    125 KB · Views: 111
It was a beautiful day at Jennings. The track is grippy, but tough on tires. My tire was new that morning. Thats a Bridgestone S22 and worked well until it overheated. I really had to feather the throttle to keep from spinning in the tight section. Especially turn 6, that pavement was different. Doug helped me out with suggesting lowering the rear pressure way down, so I put it at 30 cold. It really helped to spread the load and kept the tire cooler. Still had to feather the throttle in the afternoon. 08 has no traction control. Can you tell which way the track turns? CW or CCW?

Track turns counter-clockwise it would appear. LOL
You'll need to make a heck of a lotta right turns on the way home to balance things out and make it last much more. :^ )