• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

7th Gear Install

Bbartlett

Got a used 7th gear bevel drive from a member here.

I've been waiting for the right time to install it, and that time is now.
All is going well. Swing arm and drive shaft removed, with pin remaining in place.

I know to use the steel gasket on the bevel drive, so my question is about gasket sealer.
What's the best sealer to use on the gasket? RTV? Permatex #1,#2? Or goes on dry?
Nothing in the Clymer's or Kawasaki manual.

Thanks in advance. I know that there will be some opinions out there!  http://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/smiley.gif
Bruce
COG 2045

I would ask Steve at Shoodaben Engineering.
He is listed on page 11 of the membership handbook

If you get a NEW steel gasket it should come already coated with some really sticky sealer.  The one I got was, and it was clear and difficult to see.  But it hasn't leaked.

By the way, the 7th gear mod is THE SINGLE BEST MOD YOU WILL EVER DO (my opinion only).  Don't expect a great big HELLO moment when you first get out on the slab.  It will sneak up on you.  You'll be turning less revs and she'll be quieter, but wait about 30 miles or so and you'll gradually say, "Wow, what a nice smooth settled bike.  Just the way it SHOODABEEN!!!!"  :beerchug:

Steve will surely know, but if I remember correctly when I did this mod, you put a small dab of sealer where the case halves meet.

Oh yeah, and what Nosmo said.  ;)

I have been searching for a 7th gear mod, since March 2020 and not found any. Steve just replied to my email request that he definitely will not make any more units. I am still looking for a used unit.