• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A "Get to know your bike" moment

arjay2

This post from Concours.org site dated 7/3/08 I read about dropping the bike in blogs, heard about it in hushed conversation, then finally it happened to me this morning at a gas station. Maneuvering around at slow speed I turned right a little faster then I should have - ran out of forward motion - and the bike laid down so quickly it was scary. Scratched up the RH mirror, wing and bag. My elbow got a little banged up as well, but mostly my pride was hurt. Within 10 seconds a bystander came over and helped me stand up the bike. I had ALMOST laid the bike down (also at a gas station) a few months ago right after I bought it, but chalked that near incident up to inexperience with a 600 lb bike. My previous bikes were alot lighter. O well, just hoping this will be the worst moment in my Connie ownership - I had a face to fairing talk with the machine when I got home and asked for no more bad karma in exchange for loving attention and maintenance.

Hi Bob, sorry to hear about your drop but am glad both you and the bike are OK. By now I'm sure you've seen the list of things to double check on the bike that break frequently - hopefully all is well. I got lucky too in that my drop was minor and no damage other than a little scuff on the faring.

Bob, CDA0277. On my first drop I think I tapped the front brake while it was turned, and I was off balance. Using the rear brake only at parking lot speeds has helped me considerably. Is your bike a C10 or C14? Greg COG # 7010/7010a (Tracey) CDA 0120 Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude (CDAAD) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle". 05 Ninja 250

My bike is a 2006 - modifications are Cee Bailey shield, bar risers, passenger backrest, and scratched RH bag, wing, and mirror! Arjay2 (Bob)

Thanks Bob. Heal quickly. Glad nothing on you was broken. Greg COG # 7010/7010a (Tracey) CDA 0120 Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude (CDAAD) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle". 05 Ninja 250