• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A Primer On Smart Helmets: Where We Stand Today & Where We’re Going

Daboo

A Primer On Smart Helmets: Where We Stand Today & Where We’re Going
https://www.webbikeworld.com/a-primer-on-smart-helmets/

Motorcycle technology continues to change and innovate – and so does gear technology, specifically helmets. Modern helmets are safer, more comfortable, easier to use and enjoy, and more versatile than ever before, but there are more innovations coming. Enter the smart helmet.

There's far more in the actual article. Towards the bottom of the page, there are specific comments on several helmets and where the future might lead.

Chris

What I would like to see is a helmet that shuts off the engine of cars/trucks that
are making a left turn in front of me. There are cars that shut the engine off at
stop lights so this should not be too hard to do. Left turning drivers are the single
most hazard to us.

Actually YOU are the biggest hazard to your safety.  Left turners are like 3-4.  A helmet that tells you that you are coming into hot into a corner before it it happens would be the biggest help.  If it would warn of road hazards before you can see them that would be a great one too.  I want one with built in AC.  If my brain is cool enough I can drive safer.

I want one with targeting HUD like a modern fighter pilots helmet and tie it to a hologram projector that will project a hologram of a large middle finger onto the windshield of the cage of my choosing!!!  :))

smithr1 said:
Actually YOU are the biggest hazard to your safety.  Left turners are like 3-4.  A helmet that tells you that you are coming into hot into a corner before it it happens would be the biggest help.  If it would warn of road hazards before you can see them that would be a great one too.  I want one with built in AC.  If my brain is cool enough I can drive safer.

RWulf's KLR doesn' allow him to come into a corner too hot. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Kill both the radio, Internet, and while we are at it put the fuel system of any LEO within 1/8 mile into limp in mode.

I think there is a pattern here  SMARTass helmets will be all the rage.

Don't be fooled, Smart helmets are just another vehicle to allow the delivery of advertising.

HUD display will soon show vehicle speed, fuel level, traffic ahead, and a coupon for fuel and a breakfast burrito at the next exit.

smithr1 said:
Actually YOU are the biggest hazard to your safety.  Left turners are like 3-4.  A helmet that tells you that you are coming into hot into a corner before it it happens would be the biggest help.  If it would warn of road hazards before you can see them that would be a great one too. I want one with built in AC.  If my brain is cool enough I can drive safer.

There is one with AC.

https://feherhelmets.com/collections/helmets

Great post and great article! I devour motorcycle helmet technology and love the possibilities. At work we now have heads up infrared displays, admittedly they are incredibly expensive, however the fiber optic cameras that used to cost $15,000 now can be purchased for around $100 at a hardware store. Lots of possibilities and great post!

"The sky is really the limit on smart helmet technology for the future. A lot of it will be centered around augmented reality."

I'm riding a two wheeled vehicle with over 140hp, I don't need no stinking "augmented reality"!! :)) :))

I have to admit that Smart Helmets just don't interest me.
We already have too many "rider assistance" gadgets on motorcycles and they are getting more and more intrusive.
Even the best smart Helmets are distractions at best and are downright dangerous at their worst.
What happens when it pops up a warning that you are too fast for the next corner and that warning obscures the Deer that is about to leap out in front of you?
No thanks!

I am all for tech that adds to an experience, but these all detract from it.
I ride to get away from all that crap and I don't want an intercom/phone, or music, or 3D overlays or anything else in my helmet other than me.

If you want virtual, buy a VR headset and go virtual riding. I'll stick to the real thing thanks.