• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ABS acting strange

CC Rider

CC Rider
Hello...just finished a fantastic ride in the Appalachians. Partway through the trip, I noticed that the brake lever began to pulse on light braking. Pull the brake lever a little harder and the pulsing stops. Smack on the brakes and ABS does what it is supposed to. ABS warning light is not on.

I'm on a 2019 C14 with 2500 miles on it. Could this be as simple as air in the brake lines?

Have you inspected your rotors closely? Could be an unusual buildup on one of the rotors causing this, or even a bent rotor.

I glazed a set of decent brake pads and they acted the same. Unfortunately I couldn't sand them down enough to eliminate the pulse completely. The heat got to them. I was doing 75-80 in the rain for a long time and some lady pulled out in front of me. Slammed on the brakes and glazed them good. From nice and cool in the rain to emergency braking. They pulse a little now but not as bad as before. Google, glazed brake pads for some nice pics. Mine weren't rainbow colored so I thought they were salvageable; until I can get some new ones. My EBC rotors are fine. I completely cleaned them and put them back on the wheel. Hope this helps you out..

CC Rider,
Congrats on the new bike, I suggest you bring the machine back to the dealer immediately.

Out of curiosity a few questions:
1) Has braking power reduced at all from prior to the effect starting?
2) Any heavy braking as mentioned by another - I.e. emergency or hard braking from a high rate of speed?
3) You mentioned part way through trip effect started - Do you use your brakes more proportionally than engine braking to control speed in downhill / mountain descent?
4) Is pulse only felt in front lever? What happens if you apply rear brake only?
5) Shouldn’t do this either way but have you tried reducing the K-ACT to reduce the co-active linked brakes?
6) Checked for loose rotor or caliper bolts?

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

Rotors look OK. No special drama with the brakes, so I don't think the pads are glazed.

- No loss in braking power
- A fair bit of 2-up riding in the Appalachians, but the mrs doesn't need to be fully aware of C14 capabilities. More gentle riding than usual.
- Great question, I use engine braking more than brakes when going downhill.
- Less effect from rear brake, light pulse through the bars suggests front rotor
- Another great point, will check rotor and caliper bolts

2andblue, thanks for the congrats, will visit a dealer.

All the best to everyone,

Richard

If braking power is the same as previous then yes I would lean toward a warped rotor. When you crank tighter the pads maintain contact and pulsing goes away. Constant wobble would likely be a tire or wheel issue - not relevant here...?

If braking performance was surging then it would be contamination on the rotor.

Let us know what the dealer has to say about this practically showroom new machine.

Glad to report that Kawasaki will replace the rotors under warranty. Thanks to Freedom Powersports in McDonough GA.