• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Accessing Headlight bulb area

hammerash

The 2015 bike I bought had LED headlights installed. On ride home, it was just getting dark at the very end. I was not real impressed with the lights. The low seem fine but high actually seemed worse? I contacted the manufacturer, SoCalMotoGear, with pictures, concerned about the positioning of the bulbs and other potential problems reducing output. They said that the bulbs need to be rotated to 7.5 so vertical divider is straight up and down.

20230520_160425.jpg

I wanted to do this but the wiring for lights is zip tied to frame and hard to get to.
20230522_120551.jpg
you can see the plug connector on the left. the wire coming out the right side is zip tied, then goes to bulb. There isn't enough slack in the wire to remove the heat sink that is on the back of bulb. Would have been better to zip tie the other side of the connector so the bulb could be easily accessible, and I may try to do that.

What is the easiest way to gain access to this area? I have full service manual, but wanted to see easiest approach without removing unnecessary parts. oh, what is the white hard plastic hose in the picture?

I can reach it. May even be able to open the zip tie. But doubt get it back on ( on other side of connector) and doubt get a new one in there. I will give it a go.

I could put factory bulbs in, but why? The Pathfinder LED are like $165 upgrade. I don't know how they compare to factory, but I haven't read that they are worse. Could I put one factory in and then compare?

I personally don’t care for led bulbs with external drivers. Rubber boots don’t usually fit, and you have to figure out what to do with the driver.

Connie rider and several others have commented on other threads regarding their experiences and preferences for led headlights. Do a search, there will be several...hth

I was reading one last night. One was saying reflectors not set up for LED. HID better. But seems a lot more switch to LED over HID? As I said, the bike came with LED, with oem bulbs in the LED box. I am just trying to optimize what I have and they are definitely tilted. Not sure how much correcting that will affect things but gotta start somewhere. I'll try to check out some more threads.