• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adjust steering Stem Nut?

connie_rider

I have a clunk in the front end and suspect the Steering Stem nut needs a tweak.
Unsure what steps to follow?
Already removed Bars, steering stem head bolt.
Primarily: Need to know, how to remove switch housing.
[So I can pull the upper Tripple Tree up enough to get to the Steering Stem Nut]

If it's in the C-14 Service Manual, where?

Ride safe, Ted

Yes triple tree just lifts off, easy peasy! No need to pull switch.

While you're there you can jack bike up enough to grease lower bearings without pulling front wheel or disassembling anything else. Steering stem will drop down several inches for easy access to lower bearings.

Last edited:
I have a small clunk too.. I will try checking it out before I travel across the country to the National!

Good call on the fender bolt.

On the Bearing adjust, I made a small discovery.
I had the bike on the work bench, and on my bench it's &$^&&* hard to get the bike on the center stand.
To do this adjustment, the bike "should" be on the center stand.

Ride safe, Ted