• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

adjust throttle tension?

A_C

Training Wheels
Hey guys, Took out my new (to me) connie for the first time yesterday. Wow what an amazing bike. (coming from a 500cc this is like night and day). I noticed that the throttle requires a lot of effort to turn. Can this be adjusted? I have the foam grips, would it be easier with rubber grips? Let me know, Colin

Welcome Colin! Not much info on your ride, but since you've been riding a different mount we can eliminate "New Rider Syndrome". That said, no Connie should take abnormal effort to twist the throttle. Check the routing of the cables in case someone replaced one or both recently & just misrouted a bit. Then check their condition & evaluate if you might be better to just get some new ones. If all is well thus far, then lube 'em (the gravity-fed-from-plastic-bag method seems to be preferred to those POS cable lubers) and use some dry graphite on the throttle tube while you're messing with the works. Hope this helps. Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

I agree, pull the grip end apart and pull on the pull cable by hand. If it pulls easy check the throttle parts. Once you know which parts are not working well fix um :) ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Alot of what you are feeling is because the Connie throttle is a push/pull. I would rev it up, with a quick yank on the throttle, and let go. If it "snaps" back, then it's just the tension, (which can be alot to a new owner) if it doesn't snap back to original position or moves back slowly, then yeah, I would lube the cables......but lubing the cables is a good idea anyway. The best thing to do if it's normal and it still bothers you is to buy the CC kit from Murph!!!! You might want to look in to Cramp Busters as well.

Over time the paint on the bars rub off an causes some friction on the twist grip. You may want to check that too. Polish up the bar end with fine grade grit paper and a dab of silicon spray will make the grip rotate freely. Colin Prior Cogmos Administrator Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Thanks for the info, I took apart the entire housing. Looking for anything rubbing - nothing. I sprayed in a lot of graphite lub under the plastic tube (actually way to much but thats how I learn). It didn't seam to help. I then played with the cables. Originally if I turned the throttle it would just stay at where I turned it. After I adjusted the tightness on the cables I reinstalled them and now the throttle returns just right. I also replaced the grips and installed the grip element heaters while I was working on it. Thanks again for the tips. Colin