• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Advanced Sport Touring - Warning, Back At It Again!!

matt-taylor4328

There is a cluster of threads on this forum from a few years ago about poor customer service, abandoned orders and zero communication from Advanced Sport Touring.

Well, they appear to be back at it again. Ordered touring pegs in late Oct, the order was received and delivered in good time - very pleased with that. Unfortunately, the design of the pegs interfered with my crash bars, so I decided to return them.

I looked up the return instructions on ASTs webite and had them delivered back. Since then, nothing, nada. Have left multiple messages, emails, Facebook posts, etc. just like all the other folks describe.

I now have my credit card company involved, but there's a good chance I'll be down $400. I kick myself as I should have kept them and sold them on Ebay, I would have gotten some of my money back.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Wait! Did I write this?

I had nearly the exact same experience. I purchased a set of highway pegs in Sept. The order was acknowledged quickly and the items arrived in about a week. However, I was disappointed with the pegs and wrote AST that I was sending them back, acceptable per their online policy.

UPS had difficulty delivering, as there was apparently no one there to receive the order. After some retries, the order was recorded by UPS as delivered. After several attempts to reach them, I finally received a short note indicating they had received the order and that a refund would be processed shortly.

That didn't happen, in spite of several attempts to reach them by phone and email.
I referred this to Paypal, as I had used them for the payment. I provided the email acknowledgement by AST that they would process the refund. Paypal soon thereafter refunded my purchase price, but I never heard anything more from AST.

I know how hard it is to run a small biz, and don't wish anyone ill, but it's too bad they failed to meet even basic interactions with their customer.

+ + + + + +

About the pegs:
I sent the highway pegs back, because they are not a good solution. They were very nicely machined out of quality billet aluminum. But the design is a disaster waiting to happen. The pegs mount to intermediate brackets, which mount to primary brackets using 6 mm bolts with about a 3/8" purchase. The primary brackets are mounted to the engine case using slightly longer replacement oil pan bolts, also 6 mm IIRC.

This design will not stand up to any weight greater than that of your boots, and even then will flex. The pegs when extended represent a 1 foot lever. In a fall, either the bracket bolts will tear and strip, or if they stay together, the force will be transferred to the oil pan/crankcase castings, which will be damaged or ruined.

I applaud AST for coming up with a creative solution to a difficult problem, but I don't care to experiment with the danger it represents.