• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aged Components on a C14

rlievenski4555

I have a great 09 that just hit 15k and I wonder if there are any potentially aged components I am missing that should be replaced. What will be done before riding season includes:
- The fuel system was refreshed just before I took delivery last spring.
- I previously went with stainless hydraulic lines to replace the OEM rubbers.
- All lights have been upgraded to LED and a new battery was added.
- This spring, I am replacing all coolant hoses and thermostat.
- The brake rotors will be honed for sintered pads to be added.
- The valves will be checked/adjusted with a Murph’s gasket kit added and new plugs.
- Fork seals and fluid were replaced last summer.
- Tires are fresh and all fluids will be changed.

Am I missing anything?

15K in 14 years! That thing is practically new anyway. You might need new grips, the old ones left for lack of being held. I like Grip Puppies, but they do seem to lose their squish after about 3 years. Not too expensive to replace and the slip right on over stockers.

It sounds to me like it's all covered....assuming all fluids means all fluids and that the brake line and clutch line replacement means it was all thoroughly bled at that time. Could you be more specific on what "- The fuel system was refreshed just before I took delivery last spring." is in detail? Is it anything other than draining the old long sitting fuel and replacing it or did they change the fuel filter in the pump too?
My C14 has 10 times the miles as yours and I haven't "refreshed" my fuel system except to change the air filter...but I guess that would be the air system...so...new tire pressure sensor batteries?

Last edited:
It sounds to me like it's all covered....assuming all fluids means all fluids and that the brake line and clutch line replacement means it was all thoroughly bled at that time. Could you be more specific on what "- The fuel system was refreshed just before I took delivery last spring." is in detail? Is it anything other than draining the old long sitting fuel and replacing it or did they change the fuel filter in the pump too?
My C14 has 10 times the miles as yours and I haven't "refreshed" my fuel system except to change the air filter...but I guess that would be the air system...so...new tire pressure sensor batteries?
The previous owner used typical gasohol, which destroyed the fuel pump. The pump was replaced before the bike was shipped. I use pure gas unless on a trip where it is not available (some counties in Wisconsin did not have it last summer). Luckily, the inside of the tank is not completely corroded. I did have to clean up the fuel gage sending unit and replace the rubber gasket last summer from all the years of exposure to crap gas. I might put on new fuel lines and a bag filter to be 100% sure that all is well.

15K in 14 years! That thing is practically new anyway. You might need new grips, the old ones left for lack of being held. I like Grip Puppies, but they do seem to lose their squish after about 3 years. Not too expensive to replace and the slip right on over stockers.
Santa brought a beautiful set of heated grips at Christmas. Looking forward to installing and taking the chill off during cool mornings.

I don't see that you bled/changed the brake/clutch fluids.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted. The brakes and clutch were flushed out with ample fluid and bled when the stainless lines went on last spring. I plan to flush again this spring to ensure the fluid is clear and free of water.