• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Air Pressure PR II for 2008?

The dealer's a moron. The C10 runs about 36 psi. The C14 runs 42/42 psi. Those are what Kawasaki recommends in the Concours! You can play with it if you like, as some do. I find it hard to belive a dealer would recommend anything other than Kawasaki's recommendations. So I would say they're giving out poor information! 

The tire pressure that Kawasaki recommends, or any manufacturer recommends is for the OEM tires, once you change brands than you have to adjust from there.

joe in calif said:
The tire pressure that Kawasaki recommends, or any manufacturer recommends is for the OEM tires, once you change brands than you have to adjust from there.

So your saying that a dealer is going to tell you to use close to 8 psi under what Kawasaki recommends for the bike because it isn't the OEM tire? I seriously doubt a dealer would ever do that!

Look at the sidewall of the tire.  Mine says to run at 42psi.  If you are running something other than OEM maybe it says something else.

I'm no expert but after some reading it was my understanding that basic tire pressure is a function of the tire design and weight of the bike. After that it becomes a case of adjusting for road conditions and temperture.

For example if the road is bumpy with potholes etc, then you want higher psi to prevent rim/tire damage and handling. If its warm then you want higher (standard maybe) pressure to improve handling and wear.

If its cold and a smooth road (ie: race track) then you want lower pressure to get more heat into the tires for more grip. I'm not sure if lower pressure also changes the profile of the tire for better handling as well, but I suspect there might be some opinion on this.

Anyway, the point is 42 is good for allround riding in all conditions, ie touring, I run 42 on the street. But if your hitting the twisties, track or its cold...then lowering them is a good idea.

My 1st and only (so far) track day was cold and I lowered my PR3's to 35 psi, while other lighter sport bikes were going down to 32/33's. They handled great, I scraped pegs a few times and had no issues with grip.

At least that's what I understand.

Stewart, I would like to ask a follow up, please.

You said you dropped the pressure form the 40's down to 35 (or so) on the track.  What difference did you notice when you did so?  How did the lower pressure change the feel?

rcannon409 said:
Stewart, I would like to ask a follow up, please.

You said you dropped the pressure form the 40's down to 35 (or so) on the track.  What difference did you notice when you did so?  How did the lower pressure change the feel?

I never compared the pressures. Because it was so cold the Track Day organizers were warning everyone to double check their tire pressures. I asked around for advice and was told to lower them to 33 or there abouts, I can't recall exactly. But since the bike is heavier than others, I end up with 35 (I think). This was my 1st track day, so I was never going to push the bike and my skills hard and I figured lower pressures could only help with grip versus impact handling.

How did it handle, fine, it fact it didn't feel that much different to me. I had the bike leaned over using all the rubber and never felt once that I didn't have enough grip. So either lowering the pressures did the trick (after warming up) or I wasn't riding hard enough.

I would agree with the observation on the dealer...  Keep in mind the 42 psi recommended is taken @ 65F ambient temperature.  If ambient is 45F then the pressure should be 40 psi and if it is 85F outside then it should be 44 psi if you want the recommended pressure.  This is why the school was concerned with tire pressure when it was so cold.  I also think the reason MCN didn't like the C14 on introduction, other than brakes that were "too good," was that they ran too low a pressure, esp in the front tire.  That being said, if you like the feel of any particular tire at a specific pressure (within either bike or tire maker recommended ranges) then go for it--watch for wear and overtemp...  I like 42 (compensated for ambient) for all the tires I've tried.  PS--cold tires.

chamberlincalls said:
If 42 lbs cool, what should the TPMS read when the tires are warmed up?

42 cold with a pressure gage usually reads about 44 on my TPS display when warmed up.

Cap'n Bob said:
The dealer's a moron. The C10 runs about 36 psi. The C14 runs 42/42 psi. Those are what Kawasaki recommends in the Concours! You can play with it if you like, as some do. I find it hard to belive a dealer would recommend anything other than Kawasaki's recommendations. So I would say they're giving out poor information!

I agree on what Bob said, wouldn't 33 psi trigger the TPMS to warn of a low tire anyways?

FYI

My 2008 TPS triggers at ~ 31 Psi. (Found that out a few times from a flat .. then a slow leaky rear tire that I took a few weeks to correct)

KLRtoConnie said:
FYI

My 2008 TPS triggers at ~ 31 Psi. (Found that out a few times from a flat .. then a slow leaky rear tire that I took a few weeks to correct)

Thanks, I didn't know what that threshold pressure was/is.

From the service manual:

{Low Air Pressure •If a tire’s air pressure drops below approximately 220 kPa, the meter will indicate the following alternately,
and also illuminate a warning light.
*The warning message will disappear after the air pressure reaches 230 kPa or more.}

To convert: 220 kPa is eqivelent to 31.908302300646028 PSI.

I can't believe how many people insist on running the "recommended" air pressure printed on the bike. That air pressure setting is for the bike maxed out on weight of the rider, passenger, gear etc. Anyone who rides at those pressures for one up touring is not doing themselves any favors.  I run the PR's and weigh 260 dry. I run 34/36 cold. I get fantastic grip in the hard corners, nice road feel and behavior, even wear patterns and just an all around nice ride. If I were riding on the track I would lower them even more as my style of riding there would be more aggressive. When I get done with a track ride the rubber is hot and sticky, just the way you want it...

Of course air pressure, oil threads, suspension setting threads..everyone is an expert and you will get tons of different opinions. Heaven for bid you should listen to the real experts in any one of those fields...LOL  Good Luck