• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

AIRING UP ZG 1000 SHOCK

How do you air your shock up on your ZG 1000. Do you use a bike pump, Do you use your air compressor, I have a JACO Flowpro, tire inflation guage. It is very precise and great to use on my motorcycle tires. It has a built it bleeder valve. It has a built in guage ) 0 to 100 that is very accurate. But my question is. What is safe to use and what do you use.

How do you air your shock up on your ZG 1000. Do you use a bike pump, Do you use your air compressor, I have a JACO Flowpro, tire inflation guage. It is very precise and great to use on my motorcycle tires. It has a built it bleeder valve. It has a built in guage ) 0 to 100 that is very accurate. But my question is. What is safe to use and what do you use.
Initially upon getting my C-10 I used a bicycle hand-pump, afraid of over-pressurizing, etc.

Then after a connector on the bicycle pump broke I used my small 12V tire pump and just tapped the air, sometimes took a few times as I was always afraid of over-pressuring, never did.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Believe it or not, the best way is to use an air compressor. <S__t starter grin> šŸ˜œ
(Waiting for the OMGawds's and Arghhhs to stop, and the "you're going to over pressure it" comments to fade away).

Step 1; Buy a pressure regulator with gage.
Step 2: Install the pressure regulator into the air line.
Step 3: Put an air chuck at the end of the hose.
Step 4: Set the pressure at the desired pressure you want, plus 5 lbs. (ie; If you want 40, set reg at 45 / etc)
Step 5; Put air into the shock thru the shock fill port until all air flow stops.
Step 6: ""Rapidly"" remove air chuck from the shock fill port.
Step 7: Put everything up and go for a ride.

* The reason this works; The regulator assures that you "cannot" put too much pressure in and you "can" set the Reg. for whatever pressure you want.
** The reason you set it at 5 psi over your desired pressure; When you remove the chuck from the shock fill port you "will lose" about 5 psi from the shock. (Some experimentation will be required)

Let the FLAMES begin...
Ride safe, Ted

Ted I do it the same way. My compressor has a regulator on it already. If you use a screw on fitting you will lose all the air while you take it off. I set it for 45 and ride 2 up with gear.

Believe it or not, the best way is to use an air compressor. <S__t starter grin> šŸ˜œ
(Waiting for the OMGawds's and Arghhhs to stop, and the "you're going to over pressure it" comments to fade away).

Step 1; Buy a pressure regulator with gage.
Step 2: Install the pressure regulator into the air line.
Step 3: Put an air chuck at the end of the hose.
Step 4: Set the pressure at the desired pressure you want, plus 5 lbs. (ie; If you want 40, set reg at 45 / etc)
Step 5; Put air into the shock thru the shock fill port until all air flow stops.
Step 6: ""Rapidly"" remove air chuck from the shock fill port.
Step 7: Put everything up and go for a ride.

* The reason this works; The regulator assures that you "cannot" put too much pressure in and you "can" set the Reg. for whatever pressure you want.
** The reason you set it at 5 psi over your desired pressure; When you remove the chuck from the shock fill port you "will lose" about 5 psi from the shock. (Some experimentation will be required)

Let the FLAMES begin...
Ride safe, Ted

I've done this too , but it's nice to carry the little shock pump in the bags or tankbag on trips . I like to be able to increase or decrease pressure when removing my gear at the hotel or campsite and riding lighter , but I pack pretty heavy on trips .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1518271229554.jpg
    FB_IMG_1518271229554.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 57
I built mine as a remote "Regulator/air chuck/tool" with a quick disconnect.
The tool attaches at the end of the air hose. (Can take it with me if I want)
I did this so I could look at the pressure gage. (To see/know I had set it, and adjust if needed)

I agree on NOT using a threaded air chuck. (loses too much air when you disconnect)
I didn't take an air pump on the road. I kept mine at around 45-50 psi as I liked the stiffness for playing in the twisties.
(I've now replaced the rear shock with a C-14 shock).

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Back in the day wen I had my 86, as many of you recall those had front forks that were pressurized from 3 to 7 psi.

Most bike shops back then sold a small syringe that you could air up the forks and the rear shock as well. They were only $12 bucks from what I remember. Now they come with gauges on them an sell for around $50.

I had to replace the back shock on my 2005 with a progressive so I don't use them anymore, have them around somewhere though.