• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alps Again!

Swampy

Scooter
Spouse and I are hitting Austrian, Swiss, and Italian Alps next week - can't wait!!

Wont be on my trusted Connie since we are renting a BMW RT but hey - it's the alps two up!! no bitching here.

Hoping for 8 days of Rubber side down and no missed turns  :)

This will be our third tour - if you have never been make it the top of your bucket list - they really know how to treat riders over there!

After 2 weeks here and 2 more days of riding to go I don't think riding will ever be fun again unless I come back. Might sell Betty to fund this trip a few more times. That's no joke! As you said this will be your third. I totally understand :great:

The RT will be great 2-up for sure.

https://sites.google.com/site/gcerally2016/downloads - maybe one or more of these routes will be useful for you.

I'll only hope to use these routes again. Worked great on everyone's Garmin and on my iPhone via the inRoute App.

To Austria tomorrow. The rolling rally ended today but 4 of us are not leaving without riding Grossglockner (sp?) they use a letter we don't have lol -  :motonoises:

Safe travels  :beerchug:

My pics: https://photos.dropbox.com/app/timeline and the blog is posted just below your thread.

Fais - you need to come out and spend some time with the NorCal guys. While the Sierras aren't quite as visually stunning as the Alps, our mountains are higher and so are our passes, and we can show you some routes that will rival the Alps for twisty's. Grossglockner comes close and I envy you - both times I had an opportunity to ride it the pass was either closed or not doable on a bike. Hope you have better weather.

And you guys in Colorado can just chill, I mean no offense. You have the vistas to rival the Alps, and some great roads.  :)

We are back and simply put words and panoramic photos can't give you a sense of what is in store for you when you ride the alps. 3,000 miles of switchbacks, ridiculous goat paths, cattle in the road, cow sh!t mid-apex, un-lit tunnels from the days of the Romans and ohhhh the fooooood!

More eye candy than the brain can absorb, roads you dream about in your sleep, and at the top of every pass/passo/cole great coffee, great ice cream, and excellent food from pastas to apple strudels. Very civilized environment - no one stares at your wet gear or leathers....cars get out of the way  :motonoises:

If you are EVER in a position to do an alps tour - DO IT. The money is worth every penny and the time away will give you a clearer perspective on this world of ours. Personally, I am ready to semi-retire, sell the house and boat and crap and start riding 3 months a year.

Western USA is amazing but this is another level all together. Now if only I could have done it on my Connie instead of the RT with the tractor-like gearbox  :mad:

Swampy said:
We are back and simply put words and panoramic photos can't give you a sense of what is in store for you when you ride the alps. 3,000 miles of switchbacks, ridiculous goat paths, cattle in the road, cow s*** mid-apex, un-lit tunnels from the days of the Romans and ohhhh the fooooood!

More eye candy than the brain can absorb, roads you dream about in your sleep, and at the top of every pass/passo/cole great coffee, great ice cream, and excellent food from pastas to apple strudels. Very civilized environment - no one stares at your wet gear or leathers....cars get out of the way  :motonoises:

If you are EVER in a position to do an alps tour - DO IT. The money is worth every penny and the time away will give you a clearer perspective on this world of ours. Personally, I am ready to semi-retire, sell the house and boat and crap and start riding 3 months a year.

Western USA is amazing but this is another level all together. Now if only I could have done it on my Connie instead of the RT with the tractor-like gearbox  :mad:

Thats right! :beerchug:
but the very best is: you have many new Friends there, and if you come back again you find some Guys who will ride with you, guide you, and show you much mor nice and beautiful locations..

Next time we will rent and call the locals...we did an organized tour which was ideal for us since we had zero time to plan anything and we dont speak German or Italian (English and french only). So fun to just follow someone who knows all the good roads, stops, and can translate. Made it really easy.

Dying to do the Pyrenees some day...also heard Chechnya is amazing and now have a buddy from the tour from Dubai and Lebanon so who knows where we go next.

thanks for the offer guys!

Swampy and Swampette