• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

alternator chain tensioner

saw this ad on ebay. anybody know anything about this? This is a fix for a factory flaw with the starter / alternator chain tensioner. Upon hitting the starter button, the tensioner swings out and hits the clutch. If you are not sure if your tensioner is hitting your clutch, remove the oil filler cap and see if there are dings around the perimeter of the aluminum clutch cover. Or, listen for a slight clank sound from under the right side cover just as you first hit the starter button.Chips of aluminum could potentially harm the oil pump or the clutch could be ruined. I am selling a sleeve machined to fit snug onto the tensioner shaft to restrict the travel of the tensioner so it will not hit the clutch. Heating (with propane torch or stove burner) and cooling (in household freezer) of parts required to install. Sleeve shrinks and stays in place after installed without sliding around. (I cut these sleeves on a metal lathe to within .001 inch inside diameter). Detailed instructions included. Motorcycles affected are ZX10, ZX11C, ZX11D, GPZ750r, GPZ900r, GPZ1000rx, GPZ1100, ZZR1100, Concours, ZRX1100 & ZRX1200, using Kawasaki tensioner part #391701059. Check with your Kawasaki dealer or your repair manual to make sure you have the same tensioner as in the picture.

Well, our filler cap is opposite from the clutch so no way to "look in" and a quick look at RonAyers microfiche, our part number is 39170-1055, a different part number. I have never heard of this issue with our Connies anyways, so, in my humble opinion I don't think it is necessary. My 0.02

yeah i never did check the part # but when i looked in my repair manual,the pic looked the same as what the guy is advertising. yeah the oil fill on the other side does make it a little difficult to "just look inside." i was just curious as to whether anyone had any problems with this supposed "factory defect." thanks for your input.

I don't know about the sleeve described in the ad, but it is possible for the tensioner to get into the clutch basket. If the spring breaks, the tensioner falls into the basket and causes catastropic failure. Helped Lawrence Dee repair his '91 several years ago after the spring failed. It was not pretty. This is an uncommon failure, but it has happened.

I did replace my alternator chain and tensioner some time back, at around 50,000 miles, for this exact reason. I had aluminum chips in the oil filter from the clutch cover, and I could hear the clunk of the tensioner arm hitting the clutch cover when cranking. When the tensioner spring gets weak, it slaps around when the crankshaft is loading/unloading due to cylinder compression vs starter torque. Also, at about that time, my friend with a 1999 Connie had his tensioner fail in flight and chewed things up, also lost alternator function. Can't say as to the effectiveness of this guys mod, but if it works, it could be a good deal. I paid as I recall over $150 in parts for the tensioner and the chain and gasket and a few hours labor to fix mine. I now consider this system as a 50,000 mile "maintenance" item, meaning that's my replacement interval.(I haven't looked at the eBay listing yet, I am just firing off this reply before I go to sleep.)