• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alternator tensioner issue

zapper1116623

Thinking I may have the broken or worn alternator chain/tensioner issue. Bike is an 86 with 62,000mi. Am noticing very sporadically maybe once every couple minutes, it will make a single tap/click sound and the rpm will slightly dip. Sounds like it is coming from the lower right side of the engine. This happens at idle, have not noticed anything odd above idle, bike runs great. Have also noticed it seems to make a slight clunk right after hitting the starter. Before I pull the cover, Does this sound about right?

I recently replaced mine at 66000 miles . Did the chain and tensioner as the chain was stretched about 1/8 inch and the tensioner was chewed up . When you pull the cover you'll likely see marks on the clutch basket where it's been hitting . Not a hard job and cost me about 2 hundred for parts . pull the cover on the sidestand and you wont lose much oil .

Thank, guess I'll pull the cover and see how it looks and then probably order a new chain and tensioner.
While you're in there might as well do the clutch star spring upgrade if you haven't already .
Thank, guess I'll pull the cover and see how it looks and then probably order a new chain and tensioner.
Mine started off like you described but got bad pretty quick . Keep us posted on what you find .

Yeah, I pulled the cover off and it was obvious the tensioner had been smacking the clutch. Glad it's so easy to get in there and replace. Way easier than removing/installing the carbs and airbox 😂