• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Americans......

rwjc

Scooter
As a rider who drives as much as I do, irregardless of weather, it astounds me the lack of concern for safety and care in place of looking cool or being cool.
Example, we have SIX MC dealers and a Cycle Gear in the area, found TWO Hivis helmets. One a returned special order and the other was a dual sport fuller with a visor.

NONE of the dealers had any hivis gear, CG had some Bilt touring jackets they were on clearance. ($150) Almost everything is back or grey/silver for jackets except the Kawi dealer had some leather Zuki & Kawi that were blue or green.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but come on...BE SEEN!

Maybe hi-viz doesn't sell. Business's will carry what sells. They will also discount what doesn't sell to get rid of stock. (supply and demand) Maybe people do not want to look like Tron?  :))  Hi-viz is helpful from behind or the side. But all but worthless on a bike with a fairing like the Concours from the front (like an oncoming car). We have quite a few guys who wear hi-viz gear or vests on their Connies. When I look in the mirror at them right behind me, The hi-viz is not visible for the most part. Mainly just headlight and fairing color. But pretty much no hi-viz. So I don't take too much stock in wearing it. But it might keep you from being rear ended. But hopefully they might see you anyway if they are directly behind you. IF they don't, they're probably not paying attention and might run you over anyway. Don't get me wrong. Hi-viz is IMO a smart precaution to take to make yourself more visible. But it is only limited in what it does. Beside, it doesn't go with my pirate outfit! Arrrrrrrr!!!  ;)

I have a Tour Master High ViS yellow, really like it, however the first day I had it on, woman nearly ran me over, most days coming to work I get cut off etc, so it's good but if they aint paying attention, it's too late when they do see it.

Cap'n Bob said:
Maybe hi-viz doesn't sell.

I think that was his point. He is saying if more people were concerned about safety, more shops would carry the hi-vis stuff, as people would be asking for it.

Well, considering we all don't like being told to wear helmets either, I'm not surprised that people don't spend the money on hi vis either.  Not a commentary on right or wrong with it.  just an observation.

I disagree Bob.  My father wears a high viz yellow/green jacket.  We both took my C-10's down to the 'Spider Ride'. I ride faster than he does, but I could ALWAYS make him out in the distance BECAUSE of the jacket.  There were times I spotted him before the headlight.  Just my experience

Hey, black is bad, right? Yeah, uh-huh. I understand that not everybody wants hi-viz gear, but many shops only carry subdued (low observable, or stealth!) gear. My Olympia Air-Glide II is hi-viz, but it would be nice to be able to see some less pricey options in local stores.

Eddie

I choose riding gear to match the color of my motorcycle:

2559945510053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Candy Cardinal Red + Black:

2837896250053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

That is how I have chosen my gear for the past 30+ years and it works for me. I do not like the looks of "hi-viz" gear and wouldn't buy it.

And yes, I'm an American.

Dan

Hi-Viz?  What's that?

2957253680052071584S600x600Q85.jpg

Personally I am seeing more and more Hi-Viz and other brighter than black colors on the road.  I think black does look cool, (I too own a black jacket and pants) and those who wear it, well that's their business. However for those of us who love to ride for more than just the occasional weekend get together in order to get the most attention and be seen on the road colors other than black are another powerful safety tool that does make it easier for others to see us. I am not saying it is the cure for stupid, drunk, drowsy or distracted drivers, but if a driver is able to see me even a split second earlier than otherwise I'll take the advantage everyday.  I also think the more we ride with bright gear with retroreflective materials, others will eventually follow, and perhaps not too closely!  ;)

I have both a jacket and helmet in HiVis.  Haven't been run over yet and still waiting for GQ to call.  Had to order both.  Personally, I think they look good with my BLUE (the fastest color) bike.  Maybe not so much with red or gray.  Better to be seen than look cool, at least at my age.
:))

My Hiviz jacket was from Cycleport (Motoport)  not sure if it makes a difference but I FEEL like it does so I wear it :)

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about the people NOT wearing protective gear at all over the people not wearing hiviz....

I respect your choices, but Hi Viz is just not for me.
Nor is a modulating headlight.
I prefer to drive as defensively as I can.

Bergmen said:
I choose riding gear to match the color of my motorcycle:

I bought red jacket and helmat to go with my red '88, then bought a blue '01 and put black plastic on it. So now I have to paint the '01 red. Until then I'll wear black shoes and blue jeans.
:))

you really don't see much but black and grey. I was in the Honda shop..rough count about 50-60 jackets, 3 red, 1 blue, 2 multi color..gues what the rest were? Most had little if ANY reflective properties?

I won't touch the decision to not wear a helmet, much less the !#@^%#!*&%!^@( decision when people put their KIDS on bikes without helmets..JMHO!!!  :truce:  :-\

Helmets about 75, only the sport helmets had any real color to them..the rest are black, silver, dark maroon...

My real point was Americans are becoming dumber by the generation. To ride a motorcycle without gear would speak of insanity, the false belief you will never have an "incident", or lack of concern for your life. I know a guy who raced professionally, MotoGP, and drag. Riding his GSX-R one day in his "gear" (aka- t shirt, shorts, and sneakers, he went down fast & hard. Brittany(Rock The Gear)  looked like a super model compared to him. Yes, freedom may give you choices, but it should not override common sense (lacking severely now a days).

Will Hi-vis save your life?..no, but it is another notch and level of protection. I don't like a modulator in my rear view mirror, but I understand and appreciate the need. So no worries. Gear+visibility=cautious driving will seriously improve your chances of survival in the asphalt jungle.

(steps off soap box)  :-X

I sorry but when I get to the point where I'm more worried about crashing, injuries and everybody is trying to kill me.... I sell the bike and walk away...

+1

Safety is fine, and I don't have a problem if someone wants to wear hi vis, bubble wrap, or metal armor when they ride.  We haven't also touched on the LED lights that the sport bike culture uses to decorate their bikes, which actually makes them more visible as well.  There's LOTS of ways that people have developed to be seen (or even heard).

I think the freedom of choice and taking some level of risk is just in our nature.  You could go back to the beginning of the country.  Folks coming over from Europe were taking a huge risk with their lives, but to them it was worth it.  People heading west in wagons took risks.  The actions of all those folks molded who we are as a culture.

Motorcyclists, I believe, are generally of that same mold.  We take risks just by riding on two wheels because of the inherent instability of doing so.  Beyond that, we seem to calculate risk levels differently than most other rational folks do.  This is even evident in our own riding community when we argue about such things.  The real question is do we allow others to calculate risk for themselves and make their own choices, or do we preach at them to convince them they are wrong and we are right.

I personally focus more on learning to ride well than to count on exterior "things" to keep me safe.  But that's just my style.

Hi Vis?  Just be thankful you dont have to wear a safety vest back and forth to work each day.  Yes It could make a difference from the back of the side but if I recall correctly 90% of all M/C accidents happen cause someone has turned left in front of you.  If they cant see the headlamp what makes the DOD think a vest will help?

Camper Dave said:
I sorry but when I get to the point where I'm more worried about crashing, injuries and everybody is trying to kill me.... I sell the bike and walk away...

Thanks Dave, we need to keep in perspective. You will never be as safe as in a car, so if you are going to be obsessed with safety, find another hobby. I suggest model trains.

2Linby is correct with the noticible increase of HI-Viz gear. I commute 126 miles roundtrip between Baldwin (NW of Jax) to St Augustine, FL along I-295/I-95 and I have noticed over the last years an increase of Hi-Viz protective clothing being worn by riders to include hiway and construction riders. I can spot the Hi-Viz from a greater distance then dark colors. And in the land of "Blue Hairs"; it is important to be seen.

I started wearing it years ago because the military requires it of all DoD military and Civilain employees. And now, I feel uncomfortable not wearing Hi-Viz vest or clothing.

AR 385-10 "The Army Safety Program" and most military installations state and require a Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), which consists of  HI Viz / or reflective gear along with Helmet,  Jacket or Long sleeve shirt, long trousers, above ankle boots outer protective , full finger gloves, while operating a motorcycle on and off duty and the military installation. Failure to follow the regs can result in puhnishment and oost of MC operating privileages on a military installation.

In addtion, the good news is that in addition to the MSF BRC and ERC, each military or DoD civilian needs to take a refresher course every three years. And Sport Bilke Riders have to take the addtional Sport Bilke course.  And Military coming back from IRAG and Afghan have to take a refresher course prior to riding thier bikes again.

so in closing, I see the increase of Hi-visz clothing being worn alot more bu riders and I belivee education is one of the reasons for it. I tell new riders to dress for the crash; not the ride. Being alive is a lot cooler then road rash and srious injuries.

Ride Safe!

Sorry for my rant..like the old saying goes: An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!  Ride for the pleasure, dress for the worst. Thats all I'm trying to say.  :truce:

I think freedom is great, but abuse of it it is just as bad as dictatorship. I don't panic and worry about the rear-ending cager, or the car that "MAY" pull out in front of me...but I watch and prepare for it always. Since I ride everyday, I practice swerving, e-braking, and evasive maneuvers. I have seen riders run rear end to a car bc they locked the rear brake.. Guess this old fart is on his high rose on a safety kick. Seeing people get huts over laziness, comfort, or stupidity really gets to me. And in the 2-wheeled world..stupid hurts.

Love you guys...ride safe!!! :motonoises:

Seeing a rider in high viz and wearing a red or orange helmet...
Do we have a circus in town? :rotflmao: ClownsOnMotorcycles

Seeing blue lights on some leo's vehicles makes me think my '01 Blue Connie is working the hiviz for me? ;)

danodemotoman said:

Seeing blue lights on some leo's vehicles makes me think my '01 Blue Connie is working the hiviz for me? ;)

And the worst part is that he can still get run over, someone pulling in front of him or possibly worse. Just because someone didn't see them for what ever reason. Yes it is smart to try to be seen. But I'll take defensive riding and things like modulators over Tron suits any day. Just my preference. Using all methods would be your best defence. But even that might not save your life. And if your not ready to accept that, maybe a Volvo should be in your future!  :))

wild man said:
Hi Vis?  Just be thankful you dont have to wear a safety vest back and forth to work each day.  Yes It could make a difference from the back of the side but if I recall correctly 90% of all M/C accidents happen cause someone has turned left in front of you.  If they cant see the headlamp what makes the DOD think a vest will help?

'Cause it's the DOD?

CRocker,

DOD means "Deptartment of Defense". DOD requires all military and civilian employees to wear  hi-vis clothing or reflective vest when riding a MC on a military installation.\

Ride Safe!

Cap'n Bob said:
danodemotoman said:

And the worst part is that he can still get run over, someone pulling in front of him or possibly worse. Just because someone didn't see them for what ever reason. Yes it is smart to try to be seen. But I'll take defensive riding and things like modulators over Tron suits any day. Just my preference. Using all methods would be your best defence. But even that might not save your life. And if your not ready to accept that, maybe a Volvo should be in your future!  :))

I have to take issue with this point of view. Yes, motorcycling is more dangerous than driving a car.  But, what is the downside to wearing hi-vis equipment? It might not help, but it might, and the possibility that it will is a pretty powerful motivator.

Put another way...why do people ignore something that could save their life? Is vanity that important?

My number one risk by far is the brown four, legged bastxxds with antlers, and I don't think they give a crap what I'm wearing. They're still going to run out to me to say "good morning".  :-\

Matt said:
I have to take issue with this point of view. Yes, motorcycling is more dangerous than driving a car.  But, what is the downside to wearing hi-vis equipment? It might not help, but it might, and the possibility that it will is a pretty powerful motivator.

Put another way...why do people ignore something that could save their life? Is vanity that important?

Personally, I don't consider it an addition to safety to warrant spending the money on it.  I prefer to put more stock in improved defensive riding skills.  Have you considered painting your bike that color to make it more visible?  That would be the next logical step to your question.

Sport Rider said:
Matt said:

Personally, I don't consider it an addition to safety to warrant spending the money on it.  I prefer to put more stock in improved defensive riding skills.  Have you considered painting your bike that color to make it more visible?  That would be the next logical step to your question.

That is a logical argument. I was thinking more of the case where you are at the store looking for gear. The abundance of black gear would lead me to believe that there is some factor that is compelling people to choose black over a higher visibility, and safer, color choice.

Thanks
Matt

Matt said:
Sport Rider said:
Matt said:

That is a logical argument. I was thinking more of the case where you are at the store looking for gear. The abundance of black gear would lead me to believe that there is some factor that is compelling people to choose black over a higher visibility, and safer, color choice.

Thanks
Matt

I do tend to gravitate to reflective, but not necessarily the hi vis colors.  I guess my bike reflects that too (pun intended) since I have the reflective tape on the saddle bags.  I personally don't look only for black though.  I suppose more often than not it's a choice of something that matches the bike colors.  I tend to look for leathers as opposed to textiles as well.  It's only my personal opinion, but if I go down, I want leather protecting me.  I guess that's because I've slid across racetracks before and the leather worked great.  I suppose I'll just stick with what works for me.  :)

Matt said:
Sport Rider said:
Matt said:

Thanks
Matt

I have never, ever been out riding or driving and all of a sudden noticed a bright orange or yellow helmet BEFORE I noticed a headlight. Never ever ever, not even close. I do not believe HiViz makes a difference and yes Vanity means a lot to me.

Matt said:
Cap'n Bob said:
danodemotoman said:

Because vanity is somewhat important. I've noticed that most Hi-viz gear tends to look dirty and beat up much, much quicker. It tends to look dirty and faded pretty quick. (Aerostich is known for this problem with the Hi-viz). I also do not feel the need to buy extra gear that requires more maintenance to keep it looking decent, just so that hopefully someone "may" see me. I want gear that is functional, cool and stays clean looking as much as possible. Like I've said before, I don't believe hi-viz does all that much for you.
Maybe I should re-paint every bike I own in neon colors to match the gear that you don't see all that well to begin with. Maybe they might see that. Of course, then I'll really look like I belong in the circus. I would rather spend my money on lighting and or modulators that actually does get noticed, day or night. Hopefully you don't depend on your hi-viz gear too much. It doesn't hurt to use it, but neither does most other gear that doesn't get noticed any better most of the time.

Personally I don't understand how vanity can override the responsibility you have to yourself to be seen in traffic?  While brighter colors and retro reflective gear will not physically stop a car or deer or anything for that matter, from running into you, it might be just enough of an edge to get someones attention soon enough to prevent a collision, and if there is a collision the motorist will have less of an excuse for not seeing you.

Motorists are conditioned to watch for other motorists not motorcycles. The elephant looks for other elephants, because only another elephant, (for the most part) can be a subtantial danger to them. Conditional blindness occurs and there is not much we can do to overcome this other than making our presence well known and comanding attention. Using your high beam, flashing the brake lights using turn signals and hand signals should be in everyones daily repertoire and used often. But to ignore adding visual aid for the conditionally blind such as brighter clothing and helmets and retro reflective gear to your person and bike, to me is a wasted opportunity to be seen and be safer.  Breaking up the background is a proven affect in geting noticed. Solid dark colors tend to blend and I for one don't blend well.

Accuse me of being a safety nut, but even the guy getting shot out of the cannon has studied his art and has taken every precaution available to him to ensure a safer landing.

Next time you are riding or driving at night be honest and tell me the person walking or jogging or riding a bicycle or motorcycle who is not wearing brighter clothing and or retro reflective gear is just as easy to see as the ones wearing dark clothing. I think you know the answer.

You ride your ride, I'll ride mine...  But mine will be brighter and much more noticable!  ;)

CAN YOU SEE ME???  ???  ........CAN YOU SEE ME NOW???.....  :p 

Camper Dave said:

The voices in my head keep telling me everyone's out to get me.  (Uncle Sam came the closet to succeeding followed closely by my kids, then my wives).  Been that way since I discovered monsters under my bed as a child.  Are you saying it's not true??? :-\

Temporary hijack over...

More for the debate!  :))  Hi viz is great for stationary people in or on the side of the road because they are in the open and stationary to fixate and identify as a road hazard. But the hi-viz colors do almost nothing when your on coming to other vehicles. From the side, it's already too late because they haven't seen you and probably already started pulling in front of you. From behind it might do something if they are not paying attention and were going to just blow through the stop sign your stopped at. But then again, probably not because they are not paying attention anyway.
I look for motorcycles. On coming motorcycles are normally first visible because of the lighting, mainly the headlight. Hi beam is more noticeable, but can still get lost in the back ground. You do not normally see hi-viz until your right on top of the motorcycle. It's just not visible behind the headlight beam, fairing, other obstructions and back ground that it still blends into. If you want to be seen to on coming traffic, I suggest using either the triangle lighting method, a head light modulator or both. That gets you noticed. Then using defensive riding techniques such as staying out of blind spots helps. The only place I think that Hi-viz would really make you more visible is on the hi-way. It could make you more visible to traffic flowing with you. But again, defensive riding should do that anyway. But it might help there.
Reflective clothing at night is a good thing. But of course in my opinion, riding at night is stupid anyway. I only ride at night if I really need to. Other vehicles seeing you is mainly dependant upon your lighting and theirs. If your not in their headlights. Well in that case, having reflective anything is almost worthless. Which is way more hazardous than riding in the day without any precautions. Also when riding at night, your ability to see road hazards both on and off the road are greatly diminished. So I prefer not to be off the bike in the dark. IMO, it's foolish to ride at night when not absolutely necessary.
I'm not putting down people for wearing hi-viz clothing to try to protect themselves a little better. IMO, it doesn't hurt. But it may not really help either. So it's my choice at this time not to spend money for gear that wind's up looking dirty so quick. Although I would stand out better in the mall keeping shopping carts from running over me.  :-* 

I wonder if there's ever been any real research done on the effectiveness of Hi-Viz clothing.  All the comments I've seen here are purely anecdotal and based (solely) on personal opinion.

I practice defensive riding. I use additional lighting and I wear Hi-Viz.  I figure that it can't hurt anything and should I ever be involved in a crash where a cager violated my right of way I think it will definitely counter the "I didn't see him." excuse.

Ranger Jim said:
I wonder if there's ever been any real research done on the effectiveness of Hi-Viz clothing.  All the comments I've seen here are purely anecdotal and based (solely) on personal opinion.

I practice defensive riding. I use additional lighting and I wear Hi-Viz.  I figure that it can't hurt anything and should I ever be involved in a crash where a cager violated my right of way I think it will definitely counter the "I didn't see him." excuse.

At the bottom of this web site:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/motorcycle-safety-info/motorcycle_safety_gear.html

There is a link to a study about the visibility of riders.

Thanks
Matt

The below quote is taken from the study cited above:

"Fluorescent clothing may reduce motorcycle injuries and death. British researchers who analyzed 463 motorcycle drivers admitted to hospital following a road traffic incident and 1233 other drivers (control group) to evaluate how wearing conspicuous attire affected the risk of having an accident. They found that with reflective or fluorescent clothing the risk of a crash injury was reduced by 37%, with a white helmet by 24%, and with headlights by 27%. ("Motorcycle Rider Conspicuity and Crash Related Injury: Case-control Study")"

Apparently there is some coorelation to wearing Hi-Viz and risk of a crash injury.  I will note that the sample is fairly small (less than 2000 total) and drivers (both auto and motorcycle) go through much more training in England than they do here in the USA.

But at the same time they say this:  "No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle."  I'm a little confused.  :eek:

Ranger Jim said:
<snip>
Apparently there is some coorelation to wearing Hi-Viz and risk of a crash injury. 

I guess the hi-viz must have better armor or something if it protects you better from injury in a crash!    :))  Sorry Jim, I couldn't resist.

My name is Leo and I wear Hi-Viz.(Yes the fluorescent green type.)  Why? An old man with 35 plus years riding experience once told me " keep your eye balls always moving looking for every thing that could possibly happen before it happens every time your on the bike and make yourself visible"  It is my job to look for all types of blind spots, road conditions, left hand turners, steal plates, railroad crossings, lane sharks, etc. My/our job is to anticipate and react to possible dangers and do my/our best not to become a victim. High-Viz helps. No one can tell me I blend in with anything when wearing it, period.                (OK maybe a school crossing or construction sign)

You can be a great cage driver and yes paying attention and still not see black bike, rider covered head to toe in black, next to a black van or behind the dark SUV. People nearly always say the same thing when they are interviewed after hitting a bike " I did not see them". Why? Because they did not see them!!!! Blending in, in other words, being camouflaged to not be seen, with your surroundings is OK if you don't mind the increased risk of being hit. I mind the risk and I wear High-Viz and yes I KNOW, I am not cool. 

As for the comment about not seeing riders in High-Viz from the front. I have a big upper body and lots of Hi-viz glowing through my windshield and my head light is always on high-beem in the day. I have seen other riders with windshields and cowlings wearing High-Viz. They do not blend in and the sight of them is striking and makes you do a double take. Moreover, they give me, a fellow High-Vizzeralist, the best waves so I think they are cool.

A lot of riders don't know squat about bike safety and riding skills. I met a guy about a month ago, at a cigar shop, who was riding a big beautiful HD. We talked about riding and you know what he shared with me. I swear to God he said this, and he had been riding for 15+ years, he told me that "[he] never uses his front brake". Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess what? Surprise!!!! He never read Hough's books on Proficient Motorcycling. 

I regularly get my stones broke, by other riders, for wearing "it" High-Viz.  I guarantee if you are a smart and safe rider and you wear "it", you will have an advantage. I promise it will not change your bikes performance, handling, or sound. I ride hard, I ride fast, I take turns quickly, & I have fun. I am not cool!!!!! I wear Hi-Viz and always will, and I am proud to say I nearly always use my front brake, yes, even, properly when in turns :)

So, Leo, what color is your bike?  If it's not something really bright that stands out like your vest, then you are also accepting some amount of risk with that.  My point isn't to pick a fight, just that we all measure risk levels differently and what is acceptable for some isn't for others.  I personally might tease you in jest, as I do with a couple friends that wear hi viz, but that's just for fun among friends.  If you want to wear it, it's fine by me.  :beerchug:

Personally I think we should all have rotating blue, red, green, and yellow super bright LED lights mounted 2' above our heads, but then we would probably be abducted by aliens.

One the serious side, I get a lot of comments about how visible I am with Hella driving lights, and my TIR3 LED brake light. With that I can wear camouflage and be safe.

I wrote the above long winded op ed to say I think High Viz, particularly the ugly green stuff I wear, really helps me stick out. It was fun writing the little ditty and I look forward to spouting off more in the future. To any and all who took the time to read my rant I say ride-it any way you like  . . . but ride it often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :truce: 8)

I appreciated the fact that you did not come off as being all safety Nazi like... Though it is clear you have strong feelings about hi-viz gear.

conando said:
Personally I think we should all have rotating blue, red, green, and yellow super bright LED lights mounted 2' above our heads, but then we would probably be abducted by aliens.

Probably?  Oh no pal! This is Exactly why I no longer use super bright blue, green, red and yellow FLASHING LED lights on my helmet. I was abducted twice!  Yes Twice!~  :-\

The first time was cause they were so attracted to the lights and just had to know what it was.

The second time they mugged me and stole the lights. Damn little buggers! 

Personally I think we should all have rotating blue, red, green, and yellow super bright LED lights mounted 2' above our heads,

Lets just keep that between us here on the forum.  If the DOD gets wind of that idea they just might mandate it for all riders traveling on base ::)