• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

an 650 burger to a connie 1400missile.

insane14

Tricycle
:)am looking at doing this change soon ,was wondering what major diff there will be,i know lots more power ,a little more weight ,will have to  learn gears again but how hard can that be,suggesstions and help appreciated and wanted will need to be on my toes when i get this missile.

i went from an 800 Suzuki Mirauder to the 09 C14. My best advise, ride conservatively until you are used to it. she's top heavy at first so go to a parking lot and practice your figure 8s. ooh, and NEVER touch the front brake under @ 5mph in a turn till your used to it. It will go down. I've spent HOURS in a parking lot that's marked off for motor cop training, and it has boosted my confidence tremendously.

just ride safe, no WOT starts from a stop, dont panic when the front wheel lifts, and keep your head about you. you will have tons of fun on your new land missle.

ride safe.

all good im getting to old to do stupid things now ,will take onboard all advice i can get ,how much real power do thses things have  :))

insane1 said:
how much real power do thses things have  :))

They are not a Busa, they are not a ZX-14, however I can keep up with R1s and some other liter bikes off the line and in the straights. I'm not talented enough to keep up in the twisties, but the C-14 will lose there anyway with equal riders. A C-14 is an animal, if you don't ride Liter bikes, you will be blown away.

insane1 said:
all good im getting to old to do stupid things now ,will take onboard all advice i can get ,how much real power do thses things have  :))

They have enough power to get you a ticket witout even trying. They have enough power to make passing cars a new sport. They have enough power to put a big grin on your face. These things are so smooth you will be going much faster than you thought you would. They truly need throttle discipline drivers part.  Riding alone I have not needed to shift gears very often and I might only go down one.  Riding in groups is another problem. Power on these is a flat curve and never ending. Because of the fly system you won't get all the ponies right away so  pulling away with a wot won't set you on your azz like a old 750 triple would when it hit the pipes. The C14 would make short work of the 750 triple in a 1/4 mile run by several seconds without the worry you were about to die as the 750 pointed sky ward and you were angina on for dear life.  (I got that from riding a 750 for a couple hundred miles.) 

I did the same thing several years ago and have never looked back. My Burgman only had 5000 miles on it when I decided that I needed something bigger. That and I got really tired of the crappy suspension on the Burgman. You'll notice the difference right away. While the c14 is only about 150lbs heavier, it rides like a Cadillac compared to the Burger. The seat is also Much more comfortable and because you actually have a tank between your legs, you can use your body to help stabilize your riding position. The Burgman was/is a good commuter bike, but as soon as you want to do some more serious riding, you'll have to step up. Just my opinion, of course, but at 6'2" and 250lbs, the little Burgman was just not going to cut it for me on a 4500 mile trip. And yes, I rode to Sturgis from Atlanta (and back) on the Connie and would do it again tomorrow without changing anything.

The Connie's gas mileage around town is far worse than the Burgman, but I can still get 38-40 mpg around town if I hold it down. But, what fun would that be? The Connie can get 50mpg out on the open road and that's good enough for me. I think the best mileage I clocked on the Burgman was 65mpg on the open road.

You won't regret the change. Yes the Connie is heavier at low speeds, so what. Give it a day and you'll be flipping it around like a dirt bike anyway. At speed the Connie is an absolute joy and handles extremely well. The Burgman is a fun bike, but it just does not compare to the Connie.

Have fun.

Cheers
--Corey