• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

And now for something completely different

It's out of character for me to pay money for something that's not a discounted commonplace item. We'll see how that works out.

Now, do I need to buy nice shoes and an espresso machine? I'm afraid I have little to no aesthetic sensibilities and may need remedial lessons for continued Italian bike ownership.

Very nice looking bike Merle! A Guzzi is on my list of bikes I'd like to ride. Have fun breaking it in!

Aaaannd it's already puked it's guts up on the driveway. Seems someone left the left valve cover bolts loose at the 900 mile service?

To be rectified tomorrow followed by an email.

Attachments

• PSX_20221104_220629.jpg
    PSX_20221104_220629.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 77
Aaaannd it's already puked it's guts up on the driveway. Seems someone left the left valve cover bolts loose at the 900 mile service?

To be rectified tomorrow followed by an email.
That is awful! On the good side, looks like you get a free leather Guzzi jacket for your trouble.šŸ˜€

Amazingly, it happened right as I turned into the neighborhood and not a mile or two prior on the local twisty road. Rear traction would have been reduced a bit.

Reminds me of a BMW level experience...nice choice.
Has nothing to do with the bike. A mechanic can leave a fastener loose on anything including a Maybach.

Jeep dealer did the steering damper recall on my wife's JL. Left it loose. It was wobbling enough out on I-81 in Wytheville that the car next to me backed off suddenly. Scared them a lot more than me it seems.

Every "free" oil change that the dealers did on our Beetle and Camry were wrong in some way... wrong mileage recorded, maintenance light not reset, VW failed to put the air intake hose back on correctly in the beetle so a plastic cover ended up in the A/C fan - fixed on the side of the road with duct tape. Every oil change at the VW place they failed to put the screw-on cover back on the oil filter housing so I had to get underneath, clean the recess out and thread the cap back on. One lugnut fell off the right rear wheel of the Camry after the dealer rotated the tires. Body shop had the door panel off the Beetle - when I went back in a few years later to replace the window regulator I found missing fasteners and pieces hot-glued back together. More professionals at work.

But, none of those were the fault of the vehicle either.

Anyhoo, got a quart of oil and a valve cover gasket from the dealer. Back on the road tomorrow - cloudy and wet today.

That's what I usually hear. I'm just expecting dumb stuff like a turn signal switch fails and it's only $14.88 but the guys in Italy say it'll take 6 months before they're available. :). Shares a lot of parts with other Piaggio family models so that should help a bit.

Stopped at the other nearby dealer (Two Guzzi dealers within an hour, I'm spoiled!) and they had Aprillias as well. As tempting as a Tuono is, no new bikes for a few years. Had the CB500X I traded for 7 years.

At this point, all can can think of changing is the seat. Might have to spring for a day-long.

Has nothing to do with the bike. A mechanic can leave a fastener loose on anything including a Maybach.

Jeep dealer did the steering damper recall on my wife's JL. Left it loose. It was wobbling enough out on I-81 in Wytheville that the car next to me backed off suddenly. Scared them a lot more than me it seems.

Every "free" oil change that the dealers did on our Beetle and Camry were wrong in some way... wrong mileage recorded, maintenance light not reset, VW failed to put the air intake hose back on correctly in the beetle so a plastic cover ended up in the A/C fan - fixed on the side of the road with duct tape. Every oil change at the VW place they failed to put the screw-on cover back on the oil filter housing so I had to get underneath, clean the recess out and thread the cap back on. One lugnut fell off the right rear wheel of the Camry after the dealer rotated the tires. Body shop had the door panel off the Beetle - when I went back in a few years later to replace the window regulator I found missing fasteners and pieces hot-glued back together. More professionals at work.

But, none of those were the fault of the vehicle either.

Anyhoo, got a quart of oil and a valve cover gasket from the dealer. Back on the road tomorrow - cloudy and wet today.
This is exactly why I am tackling the 15k valve clearance check/adjustment myself this spring. Making a checklist going in of everything removed so we can be 100% sure all is back in proper place. Using the printed off sheets of the tech manual as a start.

I have always told my family that ā€œprofessionalā€ just means you are good at covering up mistakes. We had a young lady on a manufacturing team I managed who went to a quick oil change on her way to work. They did not tighten the oil filter, which vibrated loose on the freeway spreading oil everywhere and seizing the engine at 70 mph. The owner was not going to do much for her until she talked about pursuing legal action. I wonder how many cars were destroyed at his business.

Out n about in north Georgia with a friend on a '13 Bonneville T-100. He filled up about 10 miles before the meetup point and I at about 2. Later he said he needed gas, the Guzzi indicated 200 miles remaining. Specs say 6 gallons and the computer has been showing an average of around 50 mpg. Has range like a C-10.

Just shy of 1600 miles now after taking it out for gas on my lunch break.. Still reading about 50 mpg. My calculation came up 52 but would need to verify odometer reading and average out a number of tanks to be sure.

I can definitely hustle this down the road at a more brisk pace than the C-10. It's composed enough that I need to get a GPS mounted as what I feel doesn't match what's on the dash.

Reactions: Bud