• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another 17" Meanstreak rear wheel conversion question

K_C_M

I have a mean streak 17" rear wheel and it is currently being machined to fit my GTR1000 (c10 concours). However I noticed that the wheel is significantly heavier than the original cast alloy wheel!  I am worried that this increase in un-sprung weight at the back will adversely effect the handling.

Has anyone who has done this conversion tried to have the meanstreak wheel lightened?
Does anyone have a comment on the handling of the concours with the meanstreak conversion and what shock absorber is best to work with this set up?

Once I have the wheel installed on my GTR, I was considering fitting 'Michelin Road 5' tyres, 120/70zr18 & 170/60zr17.  Has anyone experience of this combination of wheels and tyres or suggest a better alternative?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments in advance,
Kevin.

The extra weight will have no effect on handling . The improvement in handling by going to the 17" wheel negates any weight difference. 

Bud said:
Hey Jim!!
Elaborate a bit on that and edjumacate me! :)
17 inch tires are superior in design and handling characteristics.
Even though the mean streak wheel is a little heavier and the brake rotor is also slightly heavier as well you don't notice it. I rode my C-10 for 13 years with the stock wheels and rode it hard in the twisties. But after doing the 17" conversion front and rear the difference in handling was very noticable. In other words there is no down side to doing the conversion.

I've had my MS on for about a month and a 1000 miles and love it.
Drops into corners so much better and looks nice.
Went with the Shinko 777HD as I'm still running a bias up front.
Once that wears out, I'll switch to 17" up front.
Guarantee you'll love the feel.

I never did the 17 front conversion.... I was  happy with the 18" rim with the 110 tire... Gold emulators and sonic 1.2 with 50 weight shock oil ..320mm BBK's.....I saw no reason to change .. even after riding a friends converted bike I still had no desire..I thought my setup was not only fine but better.... plus I  preferred the 18" rim on dirt roads and gravel and hard pack.. I even took the C10 down a few sandy Florida roads .. I could never take my C14 down those roads but the C10 can handle it..not great of coarse.. I had to keep the speed up .. no way  could my C14 handle that  sand with  the 17"... so I kept the original front and happy I did...

i did the dunlop roadsmarts (i think they're up to version 3 or 4 now) and on rear put the 160/70zr17 size. little better load handling capability in the 160/70 rear (i always carry too much stuff when out on a long trip), a bit fewer revs (fractional better economy when simply droning from point a to point b). put a zr7s 17 incher on front. hard to tell how handling changed just from that because i changed so much stuff so fast. Racetech 1kg/mm spring and GVEs plus their fluid front, lightweight wave stainless rotors and HH pads front/rear with stainless brake lines, (EBC i believe, from murphs), and a WORKS performance shock in back with a slightly stiffer spring, and went with Dunlop roadsmarts. a big improvement in braking and handling. but like i said, i changed out a lot of items all at once so can't say how each piece changed things. if i recall a 170/60 is about the widest you can put on a MS rim without needing to do some grinding on the centerstand for tire clearance. i've been happy with the 160/70 size so far. only downside is due to work and weather i don't get as much riding in as i would like. have fun!
-tdbru