• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anti freeze deep thoughts

MOOSERIDER

Next week I am doing an oil change, new plugs, coolant flush along with new fuel lines and a new petcock.

As far as the coolant goes I am going with HD antifreeze vs the green stuff

I am going to drain and refill several times with quality water.then I am going to install
Prestone Command Heavy Duty Extended Life Full Strength Antifreeze / Coolant #AFC11000

I am going to put approximately 2 quarts to whatever water is remaining in the bike and then top with water giving me a slightly over 50-50 and then I am good for ever. ( OK 300000 miles)

Someone tell me that this is a bad thing?

(y)(y)

I was just trying to find where to get 5 gallons....then I read that Prestone is formulated to be diluted with distilled water.

• Concentrate formula. Must mix with water (distilled ideal) to the desired mix ratio of EG & water. Can be used for top-off, complete drain and refill or flush and refill of the cooling system.

Last edited:
The best minds say that the less anti-freeze the better the cooling performance, but that is for us that put coolant in our bikes and never think about freezing.

The best minds say that the less anti-freeze the better the cooling performance, but that is for us that put coolant in our bikes and never think about freezing.
SiSF popularized a 'lean' antifreeze coolant mix years ago. I chased down why it worked because I gotta know WHY something works šŸ˜. Lots of references and such in those posts. No idea if those posts survived the changes over the years, but the short version is water holds more heat, takes heat on better, and lets heat go better than antifreeze. A coolant mix using water, just enough antifreeze to protect to below the lowest expected temps, and some sort of 'water wetter' is ideal. There are other considerations too, but they are all covered using that mix.