• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anybody here ridden a Motus???

56taskforce

I have been watching videos on the Motus and although it is out of my price range it sure has my attention. I did watch one video where the rider who seemed to love the bike and gave some comparisons to an FJR in the end ranked it #2
among supersport touring bikes giving first place to the Concourse-14.

A guy on the V4MuscleBike forum has one of the first ones and it seems more like a pure sport bike with bags. He said he can barely keep the front wheel down through 3rd gear. He was the fastest bagger at the Texas Mile this year and he ironbutted it from Atlanta before he did the mile.

For that much Kelp, I can have a different colour Connie for each day of the week.
$35K for a non-pedigree bike.
Insanity?
No?

One of the cruiser marques ought to buy the bones. Instant HP Touring bike. Same price points in common, too.

Curious...nothing on their website OR Facebook page. Every article seems to reference a post on the Motus Owners Group (Int'l) FB page. Kind of makes me wonder...

Eddie-FL said:
Curious...nothing on their website OR Facebook page. Every article seems to reference a post on the Motus Owners Group (Int'l) FB page. Kind of makes me wonder...

I sure hope it isn't true! I may ride a Kawasaki but I am big on buy America when I can and the more made in America the better the opportunity.

I deleted a political posturing post (how's that for alliterative assonance). Politics that may polarize and posted for a purely evocative motive are not permitted.

Not trying to stop friendly discourse.

Craig

kv5e said:
I deleted a political posturing post (how's that for alliterative assonance). Politics that may polarize and posted for a purely evocative motive are not permitted.

Craig
Thank you. I kept seeing that post and was like...
m92tf.jpg

Staylo said:
kv5e said:

Craig
Thank you. I kept seeing that post and was like...
m92tf.jpg

+1 ^

Damn...I saw them in June at Americade. I was really Intrigued, but not about to drop 35 LARGE....not with the H2 SX at 10k lighter!

I really hope someone scoops it up and is able to make it all work. Maybe if that someone had better production abilities that could build the same bikes at a much more affordable price, it very expensive to build each one by hand like they were.

Apologies for stirring up "politics" pot, but it turns out Motus is defunct as of last month.
Maybe if they had lowered their prices, they wouldn't rely on investors so much.
V4 muscle bike is cool as it can be, I'd own one. But the price is ....was....whatever!

Cheers..

If I go downtown Ill swing by Motus HQ My commute takes me within a couple of blocks but Im in RWTW week mode(vacation from regular job)

Manufacturing a somewhat complicated item is well, complicated and lots of factors are in play. Pricing is not always controllable unless you are being underwritten (subsidized) by investment funds. When funds come in, they in turn begin to be consumed and how fast they are consumed was called by the techie guys in the dotcom days, the "burn rate." If you can't bring in more than you burn, it's like using up firewood. If you can't grow sales fast enough to offset the burn, you eventually run out of money. I think the investors were scared off by all the industry "downturn" news.

I've always been sort of amused by the thought that (relatively) low volume sports cars sell for SO much, not only because of the relative desirability of them (not their utility value), which pushes their price up, but also by the allocation of overhead costs (mfg, marketing, etc) across only a relatively few units. Sometimes the technology  pushes the cost up, but I  think it's usually the allocated overhead costs.

By contrast, I always think about ditching machines which are basically specialized tractors, which sell for as much or more than Corvettes because each has a factory and employees to support (pay for), an engine, controls, regulations to meet, desirability in the marketplace (for different reasons), but a somewhat limited market demand/size. I don't think most people would equate the two as mechanical equals, but both cost more than say a standard work trim pickup truck. Said truck is much more regulated  and complicated  than the ditcher and may share a lot of technology with the Corvette. But the truck sells for 1/3 of either of the other two because the overhead is spread over thousands of units.

Pricing is also set by what someone will pay. I hope someone else scoops them up so the overhead can be spread over a larger manufacturing base so the price can come down and keep the ideas alive.

Adapting existing technology mitigates the cost somewhat, but the market still must "speak" to the price and so forth. Buel tried this route and that might be why H-D doesn't bite on this one. Motus' timing was impeccably bad to enter the market with a high end, radically different product just as the economy tanked.

Dang...I need to re-read this when I’m not stoned...

ron203 said:
Manufacturing a somewhat complicated item is well, complicated and lots of factors are in play. Pricing is not always controllable unless you are being underwritten (subsidized) by investment funds. When funds come in, they in turn begin to be consumed and how fast they are consumed was called by the techie guys in the dotcom days, the "burn rate." If you can't bring in more than you burn, it's like using up firewood. If you can't grow sales fast enough to offset the burn, you eventually run out of money. I think the investors were scared off by all the industry "downturn" news.

I've always been sort of amused by the thought that (relatively) low volume sports cars sell for SO much, not only because of the relative desirability of them (not their utility value), which pushes their price up, but also by the allocation of overhead costs (mfg, marketing, etc) across only a relatively few units. Sometimes the technology  pushes the cost up, but I  think it's usually the allocated overhead costs.

By contrast, I always think about ditching machines which are basically specialized tractors, which sell for as much or more than Corvettes because each has a factory and employees to support (pay for), an engine, controls, regulations to meet, desirability in the marketplace (for different reasons), but a somewhat limited market demand/size. I don't think most people would equate the two as mechanical equals, but both cost more than say a standard work trim pickup truck. Said truck is much more regulated  and complicated  than the ditcher and may share a lot of technology with the Corvette. But the truck sells for 1/3 of either of the other two because the overhead is spread over thousands of units.

Pricing is also set by what someone will pay. I hope someone else scoops them up so the overhead can be spread over a larger manufacturing base so the price can come down and keep the ideas alive.

Adapting existing technology mitigates the cost somewhat, but the market still must "speak" to the price and so forth. Buel tried this route and that might be why H-D doesn't bite on this one. Motus' timing was impeccably bad to enter the market with a high end, radically different product just as the economy tanked.

Ive been at Barbers today This is the first time Ive seen one in the wild saw 3-4 of them on the outer loop

I knew they were not going to survive. Interesting bike, and I was thrilled to see an American motorcycle start up. However, it was priced too high, and occupied a market segment that does not represent enough room or volume potential.

Tesla is next. 

Remember vanishing act of EV1 back in 90s-00s?
Please, please, please do the same with profoundly fugly Tesla model 3.
Rig the world of ugliness.

kv5e said:

Craig
What did it say?  ;)

RoadKillHeaven said:
Remember vanishing act of EV1 back in 90s-00s?
Please, please, please do the same with profoundly fugly Tesla model 3.
Rig the world of ugliness.

Didn’t remember that...but, you are right...that’s one fugly car...

I did a demo with the local dealership    3 weeks later they went out of business.  First let me say I was a little kid on Christmas. It was one of those bikes I was in envy for  basically I wanted it but would never pay 34 plus. After starting  WOW  in neutral you twist the throttle and the whole frame does a dance like a slithering snake. Went on a 25 mile ride and for the most part is was a nice bike. Power for days. Sport touring is what it is not. almost no wind and rain protection the heat was welllllll  hot real damn hot, mind you I ride an 08 and I do not even notice the heat. After the ride never even thought about the bike, the thrill was gone in just a short 25 minute ride. It is a great bike just not for half the price they are charging. One thing if one were to buy one all the parts they use are readily available.      I do not see service or parts ever being an issue