• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Around Mt. Rainier on a blue bird day

salish14

Had a day to myself and so headed out from our new home in Olympia to round Mt. Rainier. Went to Yelm on Rainier road, which I highly recommend, and then around counter clockwise and back to Yelm through Enumclaw before heading home. Whole thing took about 6 hours. Sure is grand on a Connie to be able to pass all those slow cars on mountain roads. The day was perfect, if a bit warm, and the mountain shone out in all its glaciated glory.

The highlight is the stretch from Paradise around the east side toward Sunrise. For all us NW spoiled riders, this is a classic I finally got around to doing. And btw, I couldn't count the hordes of expensive two wheeled machines turning fuel into smoke and noise. Only a few nice bikes on the road, and my Connie got all the double looks.

Cheers all!

Ah you were in my neck of the woods, I live in Roy just north of Yelm a few miles.

Hey Grant, lovely country we live in. You may see me as I will be commuting to Yelm for work from near the Capitol. Mine is the faster, silver color :)

Salish14 said:
Hey Grant, lovely country we live in. You may see me as I will be commuting to Yelm for work from near the Capitol. Mine is the faster, silver color :)
No no you got that all wrong black is fastest and not really a color at all it's the absence of light, because it out runs it. :motonoises: :D :motonoises:

Salish14 said:
...and the mountain shone out in all its glaciated glory.

The highlight is the stretch from Paradise around the east side toward Sunrise. For all us NW spoiled riders, this is a classic I finally got around to doing. And btw, I couldn't count the hordes of expensive two wheeled machines turning fuel into smoke and noise. Only a few nice bikes on the road, and my Connie got all the double looks.

Cheers all!
I keep hoping for pictures... 

:TPIWWP:

Gee Daboo, though I hear you and pics are nice, I happen to delight in a well turned phrase and colorful language. I'm not saying I can do it, but man, I'll take a vivid description from ****ens or Steinbeck. From many years of working in National Parks like Yosemite, I quickly grew cynical about the way tourists would pull up to a magnificent place, snap a photo, get back in their box, and drive away. Like the film was scratch and sniff!

Anyway, I don't ride with a go pro or other such device. I just ride and take it all into my little eyes, nose and ears. It's quite delightful!

Sorry, that's all I got, no pics.

Just hoping.  :)  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  :)

There's a lot of times when I wonder if the effort of taking the pictures and posting them is worth the effort.  Now I know.  ;)

Chris

I unfortunately read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by one of your fellow western Washington residents. I am pretty sure there was an entire chapter about the drive from Colfax to Spokane. I could barely read it after that. I only finished the book because a girl who apparently only eads the Starbucks best sellers told me I would love it. I would rather look at a  wheat field than read about it tbh. Wheat doesn't even really smell good.

Just the idea of seeing Rainier is enough for me to want to do this ride though.

I'll add that these days there are so many beautiful and professional photographs available of Mt. Rainier and environs online, for anyone to search, that the only thing I could possibly add would be me and my bike, and well, that's not motivation enough to take and post them!

Sigh...;) And yes, there are other pics of Mt. Rainier but they aren't the same. As I tell my kids when we are looking at the pictures, there's the"obligatory" motorcycle picture.

Besides, those other pictures are from other people's experiences and good times - not yours. Besides,"The Mountain" changes constantly.

Are you headed south for the upcoming rides? Volcanoe Run, Lava Run, Ride the Ribbon or the Rally in the Gorge?

If so, I'd like to buy you your favorite beverage.

Chris