• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

AZ Dual Sport Ride soiree

Bullheadbert

Street Cruiser
Any dual sport drivers out there :motonoises: ???  The purpose of this thread is to gauge interest in a DS event to be held in the Kaibab/Prescott National Forests.  Camping, base camp, would be at Kaibab Lake or White Horse Lake.  Northern loop out of Kaibab Lake would go into Spring Valley, Laws Spring, pick up a section of the Beale Wagon Trail along the saddle of Little Squaw Mountain over to Government Mountain, north towards Kendrick Peak, then to Pumpkin Ctr., Moritz Lake, back down to Spring Valley, Parks and return back mostly on old Route 66; some of its not even paved.

Southern loop out of White Horse Lake would down the Rim Country through Perkinsville down to Jerome for lunch and then back up.

This is all National Forest so it's forest roads and double track easy riding, in the main, and not every technical.  As it's National Forest the "tread lightly" rule applies.

Is there any interest out there in the Southwest province of Cog-dom for such an event...teaser slideshow below.

http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/propertyalchemist/slideshow/AZ%20Dual%20Sport%20Ride?sort=6

Old Man on a Connie said:
When ya thinkin Bert?
Best windows would be early to mid Autumn, post Monsoon season, but before hunting season or late spring say May of 2015.  At this point I'm just gauging interest.  If no interest then perhaps just Sherpa and Bert.  If limited interest just a low profile ride.  If lots of interest then we could have a post ride dinner in Williams, just up the road, or have a local come over and burn some meat and beans.

scooter said:
Beetle you have a sherpa?

Sherpa defined not as a "porter" but as one "renowned for their skill in Mountaineering".  The term as used dates back to an off road ride I had with a club member from Walking Box Ranch up the back side of the the Piute Range then dropping down a crease or break in the mountain range to the valley below.  I wrote an article about the ride that should appear in the next SW Newsletter.  You might find it entertaining.

Bert

Hi Bert,  If you're interested in dual sport rides, check out  www.coconinotrailriders.org  for our upcoming dual sport event in mid july.  The Flagstaff scenic 2 day tour.  I'm helping out with organization, it should be a good time.  Fingers crossed for rain.  Mark

scooter said:
Bert I thought you might have a super sherpa
Don't know about the "super"part but most definitely a "superb" sherpa as he's par excellent as a navigator, climbs like a mule, descends like the devil's after him and can upright my beached whale after I've sent it ass over tea kettle in a sand wash :))

Of course it don't hurt that he rode D-37 and had a V plate number in the mid-teens.  Sure pulled my bacon out of the fire more than once on that ride.

Bert

Sparkie said:
Hi Bert,  If you're interested in dual sport rides, check out  www.coconinotrailriders.org  for our upcoming dual sport event in mid july.  The Flagstaff scenic 2 day tour.  I'm helping out with organization, it should be a good time.  Fingers crossed for rain.  Mark
Thanks Mark, loved the site, looks like a great ride.  I'm knee deep in a project until mid August soooo, no can do.  If it's an annual event please let me know as I'd very much like to put it in the dance card for next year.  Please keep me posted and let me know how the event went.

Thanks,
Bert