• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

B rated tire

LSGiant

I got new PR2s put on my Connie last night. The dealer did not have B rated tires in the 190 size so we put on 180s in the B rating. Should I be concerned?

By the way getting the Bridgestones off was the best thing I have done for this bike. It was 7000 miles of hell getting those things worn out enough to get new tires. Kawasaki should be ashamed to be putting those tires on a new bike.

Most people do not use the "B" rated tire. I just removed my "B" "E" rated Angel to try the PR3. I love the Angel, but I'll never get the "B" "E" tire again. It had to be the most brutally hard tire to both mount and dismount off the rim!  :))
I never had trouble with the normal spec tires. So I will stick with them. Besides, their less expensive!

Note: The Michelin designated their heavier tire the "B" rating. Pirelli designates their heavier version Angel as the "E" rated tire!

The Load Index of motorcycle tires is incorporated into the tire size number. The C14 uses a 120/70 ZR17 (58W) on the front and a 190/50 ZR17 (73W) on the rear. The ZR indicates it is a radial tire with a Z speed rating (over 149mph). The 58W and 73W on the end of the number are the load INDEX numbers. The LR B on the sidewall is the Load Range. The load RANGE letter is a function of ply rating, and it impacts how much pressure is needed in the tire for it to achieve it's max load rating. The Load Index number is probably the more important of the two, since it indicates the actual weight it can carry, though the Load Index number and Load Rating are related to each other, by tire pressure.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Tire-TyreTech.htm

metric.gif

I am used to going to the dealer and just asking for new tires.  So this might sound dumb but what is a "B Rated" tire. :-[

AngryBaby said:
I am used to going to the dealer and just asking for new tires.  So this might sound dumb but what is a "B Rated" tire. :-[

Actually I stated "B" on the Angel. Technically, it's an "E" rating on the Pirelli. The Michelin is the "B" rated. Anyway, the "B" or "E" rated tires IIRC, have an extra belt in the construction for heavier load ratings of Sport Tours bikes. They are suppose to be for heavier loads or travel or two up riding.
But like I previously said, the Pirelli was very stiff and hard to mount and unmount. I also found the handleing when newer, not on par with the softer normal spec tire. I personally won't spend the extra money on them again. Although i didn't get a flat with the "E" rated rear. I didn't see any real advantage over the normal spec tire. If anything, it was more of a disadvantage because of less sharpness in handling when new.
But IMO, they did get better as they wore, which was opposite of most tires. These may be find for someone who rides mellow and travels extensively two up. But other than that, I feel that your better off with the normal spec tire!

we ride 2-up a lot and I have about 7k on my Angels. You are right. They are much stiffer and harder to mount. they are a lot better broken in too. +++

Cap'n Bob said:
AngryBaby said:

Actually I stated "B" on the Angel. Technically, it's an "E" rating on the Pirelli. The Michelin is the "B" rated. Anyway, the "B" or "E" rated tires IIRC, have an extra belt in the construction for heavier load ratings of Sport Tours bikes. They are suppose to be for heavier loads or travel or two up riding.

I think I may have missunderstood the question about the "B" rated tire when I posted my earlier reply. Don't confuse the single letters stamped on the tire with the load rating/index numbers that I posted about above, as they aren't the same.

Several tire manufactures have started putting some single digit stamps on some model tires to indicate that they are application/model specific. Many times it will be done to indicate a tire that has been homologated for a specific model bike and has more belts in the carcass to handle the load. Metzler marks some tires for the FJR and GoldWing this way, and I believe others are starting to do the same thing. Bridgestone also put some letter designations on the new tires for the 2010 C14 after they made a change to them. Notice the small "U" stamped on the front tire in the photo below.

If you're unsure about a tire, probably the best thing to do is to contact the manufacturer and see if they make a specific tire intended to be fitted on your model bike.

medium.jpg