• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Back on two wheels, KTM!

Sininja

:-\ After injuring my throttle hand I didnt think I would ever get to ride again.  I was blessed to have an amazing surgeon  who was able to rebuild my fingers to the point that after 3 months I have 75% function back and it's improving daily.  I loved my C14, it was the only motorcycle I've ever kept for more than half a year...  but the ergos just didn't quite work for me.  It's the best deal in motorcycling in my opinion.  I'm sure most everyone here agrees.  One of the things that I've come across the last few years is I was doing a lot of exploring and getting frustrated coming to dirt roads and having to turn around  :mad:  I dreamed of something big and orange, something with C14 type power that I could search out cool dirt roads with but still tour on pavement. 

Tonight I bought a new 2018 Super Adventure 1290r! ;D Yup I know it's not gonna be the absolute bulletproof pavement missile my C14 was.  However this thing with all the cool features and dirty riding capabilities has just got me excited beyond belief!  I got a smoking deal on it, and yes MOB it even has 5 years of warranty. 

No pics yet because the one on the showfloor was a demo and the new one in back was taken on a 53mile testride.  My first ever new bike needs to be new, so they are bringing it back from their offsite warehouse and ordering my accesories.  Heated grips (how this thing can have cornering lights, off road abs, cruise etc but no heated grips is funny), skid plate, and installing the travel pack (up/down quickshifter, motor slip regulation, hill hold control, and some phone connectivity).  I wanted exhaust but $1200 for an akra slip on is blasphemous.  I already checked delkavic  ;) but they dont offer one.  I'm staying here for the company and the love of C14s!  I'll post pics next week when its home. And I'll be rehabbing and waiting for our MN winter to end!

Great to hear about your fingers! They can be really handy when riding. Or anything else for that matter. I noticed not long ago I can make a fist with my hand that was last operated on. Took 2-3 years but it came back. Yours will too. Just give it time. Congrats on the new bike!

I've been waiting to hear from you again. That is great news on your fingers!!
Also great news on the KTM. Will be waiting to hear more about it.

I'm not sure I could handle that much power on the dirt.
Keeping my C-14, considering a 650 for other uses..

Ride safe, Ted

glad you had a successful surgery/recovery, and congrats on the new KoolAid... :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

I've always loved those bikes, I'm just a bit short on inseam to really appreciate what they are, but they ARE a positively cool bike...  you won't be disappointed as the throttle is an "on/Off" switch... and when ON... well it's a butt clincher... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :rotflmao:

ride safe, show us pics...

Glad to hear you are recovering so well and back doing what you enjoy!

I rode a 1290 SA recently and loved it!

Which one did you ride, S or R?  I debated going S but I think for my riding style and what I want to do the R was the best fit. 

Just wanted to update/quickly review my new Ktm.  Compared to the C14, I love the comfort and riding position.  All the fancy doodads are great too, love having backlit switches and cruise control!  It shifts so nice and smooth.  Wind control is good even with the low windshield.  The thing handles amazing considering it has a 21" front wheel with knobbies, you would never know what was on the front if you got on without looking.
Unfortunately the motor does NOT stand up to a shoodeben flashed c14.  I truly believe a shoodeben c14 motor is THE best street bike engine there is. 

In summation, if my knees and back could take the sportiness of the c14 I still would be on one.  They are fantastic motorcycles!  But I'm excited with the Ktm and cant wait for things to dry up and start running forest roads. 

That's awesome that you are able to use your fingers and you can ride your KTM.  I can't wait to hear the stories of your adventures with your KTM.

Irene

Here's my hand about 4 weeks after the first surgery

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1544405773053.jpg
    FB_IMG_1544405773053.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 140
I wish I had a picture of my hand before surgery at the hospital, even the surgeon thought amputation at the second knuckle was probably the easiest choice.  Mn weather has sucked so I'm still breaking it in and waiting for good weather!

I wish I had been more specific and said pictures of your new bike. Yikes those fingers were mangled! You must have had a great surgeon to begin to save them. And you had to be dedicated to your recovery to recover use. So glad for you! Now pictures please of your KTM....

sininja said:
Just wanted to update/quickly review my new Ktm.  Compared to the C14, I love the comfort and riding position.  All the fancy doodads are great too, love having backlit switches and cruise control!  It shifts so nice and smooth.  Wind control is good even with the low windshield.  The thing handles amazing considering it has a 21" front wheel with knobbies, you would never know what was on the front if you got on without looking.
Unfortunately the motor does NOT stand up to a shoodeben flashed c14.  I truly believe a shoodeben c14 motor is THE best street bike engine there is. 

In summation, if my knees and back could take the sportiness of the c14 I still would be on one.  They are fantastic motorcycles!  But I'm excited with the Ktm and cant wait for things to dry up and start running forest roads.

I don't remember if it was an S or an R, but I liked the SA. We have a couple KTM SA & SD & SDGT owners in our usual group. That's an amazing engine in it's own right. Truth be told, those guys always walked away from me in the canyons when I rode the C14. On my RS I am able to hang with them better. Big twins are superb at corner exit speed.

C14 engine is the best inline 4 I have ever experienced, by an order of magnitude. Like you, I just could not get comfortable on that bike and quit on it in frustration.

I'll look at the SA next fall when I sell my RS. The RS is great, but my knees complain after a few hours. So far my short list for consideration is:

SDGT
1250GS
S1000XR
SA
Multistrada

2000 mile update:  still miss that shoodeben tuned inline 4, and I'm missing the ridiculously effortless high speed cruising.  I also miss the huge saddlebags (I hate the thought of mounting big hideous aluminum boxes on my ktm)...  think I'm going to try a new goldwing next  >:D

sininja said:
2000 mile update:  still miss that shoodeben tuned inline 4, and I'm missing the ridiculously effortless high speed cruising.  I also miss the huge saddlebags (I hate the thought of mounting big hideous aluminum boxes on my ktm)...  think I'm going to try a new goldwing next  >:D

I test rode both the Super Adventure R and the Super Duke 1290 last year. 
Very impressive bikes, both.  I liked the Super Adventure more.  Enjoy it!

Test ride the BMW S1000XR....  it made me buy one.... 

KTM didn't check all the boxes? Sorry to hear that. Goldwing increases your bike's weight a few hundred pounds. The new Wing lost the equivalent of one Connie saddlebag storage capacity when it slimmed down. But you will have effortless high speed cruising!

Done deal, money down on a new leftover 18 wing tour dct in hawkseye blue.  Ktm checked all the boxes, it is an amazing bike.  The box it doesn't check for me is daily work commuter...  I didnt realize how many of my c14 miles were just driving to work every day.  I wanted the wing before I bought the ktm but the ktm was 10k cheaper, I knew eventually a wing was coming but the deals are good now so I'm not waiting.  >:D

sininja said:
Done deal, money down on a new leftover 18 wing tour dct in hawkseye blue.  Ktm checked all the boxes, it is an amazing bike.  The box it doesn't check for me is daily work commuter...  I didnt realize how many of my c14 miles were just driving to work every day.  I wanted the wing before I bought the ktm but the ktm was 10k cheaper, I knew eventually a wing was coming but the deals are good now so I'm not waiting.  >:D

Well.... That didn’t take long!  :)

sininja said:

Both great bikes IMO, enjoy yer new ride brother!  :great: :great:

I like that color. Please post pics and review. Wonder if ZG's review steered you that way sooner than later.......

I may be lining up an appointment with my local Traxxion authorized installer for front and rear upgrades already too  :beerchug:

Absolutely ZG review influenced me... 

I dont want to go into a long boring detail oriented review, but if anyone has specifics they want to know please PM me.  As a 39yr old who grew up on Ninja 600's and has aged with some injuries...  this is about as perfect of a bike for me as I can hope for.  I love the DCT, motor, comfort and wind control, and it handles really good for its size. 

Mentioning injuries reminded me of something I forgot to ask.  :-[

How is your hand doing???
Still improving..?

Ride safe, Ted

Ok; you moved up a couple of hundred pounds, have a fob, changed to a completely different transmission, ride in a very different ergonomic position and have an electric windshield. The twist and go of the throttle brings smiles. Is there anything from the Concours you would still want?

I honestly don't know.  I think the new wing is closer to c14 performance than most would care to admit, while having all the wing luxuries and fantastic wind managment. 

I think a Shoodeben/slipon c14 from 4000-9000rpm is still the best street motor I've ever twisted the throttle on

sininja said:
I honestly don't know.  I think the new wing is closer to c14 performance than most would care to admit, while having all the wing luxuries and fantastic wind managment. 

I think a Shoodeben/slipon c14 from 4000-9000rpm is still the best street motor I've ever twisted the throttle on

fyi; The Shoudaben/slip-on that you rode has been improved.
      Latest Flash's are producing more power and their smoother than the Mountain Runner was... 
                                >:D

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
sininja said:

The Shoudaben/slip-on that you rode has been improved. Latest Flash's are more power and smoother than the Mountain Runner was...  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

Sure... make him go back to a Connie....  Then what does he do with the 3/4 helmet
with the integrated boom microphone?  (Sorry, couldn’t resist..)