• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Back To The Shack in MN

likesbikes

August 25 - 26 2012

It's the annual ride up to the serene land on Horseshoe Lake near Pine River.  Explore the roads that wind around the lakes and enjoy the Jack pines of the north, returning to the shack for some R&R, grillin' and chillin' and b.s.in' around the bonfire.  Take in the complimentary northwoods ambience of fresh air, loons, beavers, eagles, bullfrogs and other wildlife.  If not a camper lodging can be found in town.  There will be a couple of spare tents and air mattress's on hand to help lighten your load.

This ride will be an all bike ride (dual sport, adventure tourer and road bike). There are plenty of trails to explore on state land and the shack is near the Central Route of the TMAT (Trans Minnesota Adventure Tour).  Whatever style bike you ride there are great roads or trails to enjoy.  I'm looking for some input on how many riders are interested in a dual sport/adventure tourer ride, so please let me know.

If you have a dual sporter but can't see yourself sitting on the stock seat for three plus hours you have the option of hauling your bike in Jeff Kerkows enclosed trailer with room for three additional bikes. You
might want to be quick with this offer, space is limited and no one will joke about you being trailer trash.
Update: Jeff is bailing out on the ride so it could be to ride the dual sports all the way unless another trailer becomes available. I have a two place trailer that is booked for the ride up, that is if another trailer shows up, don't want to be the only one trailering.

Be sure to register online here

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=164740&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D08%2D03%27%7D

to be in the running for a drawing of fabulous prize(s.)

Meet at the Forest Lake Perkins just east of I35 on 2 (Broadway) at 8:00 AM for breakfast, ride leaves at 9:00 AM.  Contact me to let me know if you're interested in a dual sport/adventure tour ride, or if you have any questions.  rides1zg at aol dot com

Since we are not going to Indy for the GP this year I am in. There is also a Canoe available though Cookie is required to wear a life jacket.  :)

Thanks Randy!

I am sorry guys but I am going to have to bow out. I have a conflict and i can't attend. Sorry about that.

But I have attended the past and it is a great time.

Trailering up is becoming the most likely option, two trailers available for five bikes. Also it's being considered going up Friday evening making more ride time Saturday.
Did a pre ride of the route last month and had a blast, there is adventure around every corner, the riding is great.

Randy, Thanks again for hosting the 'Shack'.

Great group to start my education into dirt bikes!!!

Maybe more DS trips will show up in/around COG.

This was my first official COG event, being an outlander from just past the western edge of civilization.  I had a good time and especially enjoyed hearing about and being able to talk about the motorcycles I enjoy.  Although I wasn't able to ride with the crew (again, coming from the western edge...) I did enjoy my rides, most notably the narrow almost-ditchless pine-lined pavement west of Backus on my way home.

For those that asked... with Steve's 7th Gear Mod, I pull about 3100rpm at 60mph.  And I managed 49-1/2mpg for the trip.  I didn't stray too far beyond the speed limit, but I did push fairly hard in the twisties.

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me and I look forward to actually riding with some of you... maybe Idaho Falls next year?

Steve
2006 Concours / 1982 GPz750 / etc

I too had a great time riding and meeting others. I will E-mail out some of the helmet cam footage of the trails after some editing (one is 25 min. long). Thanks again Randy for hosting the event, no one went away hungery....or thirsty. :beerchug:

Thanks Randy for the ride to your shack.Being a knew member ,it was great to get the know you all that went up.The riding was great! Good food and drink.Hope to see you all soon again.

RANDY
  2000 CONCOURS / 2001 KLR ]