• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bafflectomy

In the "it can only happen to me" Department I decided to do the Bafflectomy.  Had a step drill bit up to 7/8" and a extension.  All ready to go.  Do the first side and drills great.... pull the drill out and..... the step drill fell out of the extension!  It can only happen to me right!

I must be getting better and wiser (ya right) as I remained calm and just went at removing the muffler, removed the bit and re-installed it.

Before moving to the other side I want to make sure bit doesn't fall off again.  Check the quick disconnect on the extenstion... not sure why it released but to make sure I tape it so it cant release.  Drill the other muffler and .... the bit falls out!  WTF!

Oh well.... Muffler off and back on in under 5 minutes!

400 mile test run tomorrow!

Tele,

The tools are on the back of a Fedex truck making its way to New Hampshire. Should arrive Friday.

Raymond

Tele;  once the tools arriv where in NH I plan to use them right away. Hoping to see them by the end of this week.  Where should I send them next?

DonH_NH said:
Tele;  once the tools arriv where in NH I plan to use them right away. Hoping to see them by the end of this week.  Where should I send them next?

Morning DonH. Hey, there's no rush. I was just trying to keep track of it, that's all. If no one else wants or needs to use it, you can just send it back to me.

Doug Colton
130 W. Fairmount Ave.
Whitefish Bay, WI. 53217

Thanks.

I looked back at the early notes and I think they are supposed to go to Sport Rider next...
Sport Rider,,, are you out there?

Ride safe, Ted

Tele130 said:
DonH_NH said:

Morning DonH. Hey, there's no rush. I was just trying to keep track of it, that's all. If no one else wants or needs to use it, you can just send it back to me.

Doug Colton
130 W. Fairmount Ave.
Whitefish Bay, WI. 53217

Thanks.

Hi Doug,  Before it goes back to you I'd like to get on the list also.
Scott Johnson
4160 M-72 East
Williamsburg, MI 49690

Thanks!

Hey Derek,

Trust me it only feels like you are the only one stuff happens to, With the last name Murphy the Rule follows me regularly.

One cheap tool you must have is an extendable magnetic pickup tool. Once you have it you will find all kinds to times to use it.

Keep it nearby whenever you work, when you drop something you don't have to bend over...that is my favorite old man move.

It would have saved you some time on the muffler R&R

zg2002-Murph2 said:
Hey Derek,

Trust me it only feels like you are the only one stuff happens to, With the last name Murphy the Rule follows me regularly.

One cheap tool you must have is an extendable magnetic pickup tool. Once you have it you will find all kinds to times to use it.

Keep it nearby whenever you work, when you drop something you don't have to bend over...that is my favorite old man move.

It would have saved you some time on the muffler R&R

Trust me I have several grabbers, some claw some magnetic.  Problem here was the bit was through the drilled hole and only the shaft stuck out.  I used a grabber but every time I tried to lift it and get it back through the hole it poled off or dropped.... second attempt even the shaft fell through.

Now as for the results.... Didn't really notice any noise change but what I really noticed was when you open up!  Seems to have opened it up and reduced the restriction!  Very HAPPY!

Took the mufflers off tilted them on forward end and shook/jiggled.  Eventually just fell out into a waiting towel on the work bench.  First muffler took several min to figure out what held it on but second was off and back on in under 5 min.

Derek said:
Took the mufflers off tilted them on forward end and shook/jiggled.  Eventually just fell out into a waiting towel on the work bench.  First muffler took several min to figure out what held it on but second was off and back on in under 5 min.

Did ya start it with the mufflers off?  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Neighbors love it.

Outback Jon said:
tn_popo said:
Unless someone has an inspection scope, a picture of a muffler before and after a bafflectomy is going to be identical.

I saw this and couldn't resist.  Since the flash on my phone is right near the lens, I stuck it on the end of the muffler and took a couple snaps then edited it.  At the bottom of the baffle you can just see where the flat plate used to be that I punched through with my 1" hole saw...

For your viewing pleasure...

Attachments

• Bafflectomy.JPG
    Bafflectomy.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 181
DonH and Tele,

Fedex tracking says the package was delivered (dropped off) this am.

Happy cutting.

Raymond

At this rate there will not soon be any stock mufflers left. I am saving mine they will be a collectors item.

I got the loaner tools from Fed-X last night and have completed the surgery. The only issue was that the saw had no centering drill bit to catch the slug, so the slugs ended up somewhere inside the mufflers.  No amount of shaking would get them out. The good thing is that I heard no rattles when shaking the mufflers, so the slugs musty be caught up in the fiberglass packing.

Who gets them next?  I think Sport Rider wanted them, but I'd like confirmation before I send them out to the next person.

I did the procedure on my 2003 on Monday used a 1 " hole saw and rode it Tuesday and noticed a faster throttle response right away as I have ridden it the rest of the week I am amazed at the power that I now have ,if you haven't done this why not ? The noise level increased very little at idle and just a little at 4000 rpm this thing rocks!

DonH- My slugs stayed in the mufflers. No rattles after 10 months. I don't really care for the sound(although I love the throttle response)so I will be going to the Delkevic 13" tri ovals when money permits. I just bought the Meanstreak rear wheel and ZR7 front wheel so I will have to wait until after Christmas.

Just punched out the baffles in my '98 earlier today. Used a one inch hole saw. Was able to get the saw to capture the first plug but the left side fell into the can. Used a stick magnet to capture the second slug. Took a bit of fishing and working the magnet down the can but once I made it through the hole I was able to fish out the slug. I got lucky!

Took the bike out for a test ride and as others have mentioned many times, the noise really isn't any louder just more guttural. Really do not notice the difference until grabbing a handful of throttle. Throttle response seems about the same as before but I have recently performed a carb sync and all of the other mods listed here and elsewhere for my ZG1000. Thank you Steve for the videos on YouTube!!

One thing I did notice, took about a 20 mile ride on one of my favorite twisties, holding the "R's" right at 4000 there seems to be a noticeable reduction of felt "Buzz". Throttle response is very crisp and the bike just zings through the turns.

This is my first ZG1000, which I purchased back towards the end of July. I can't even begin to express the fun I have been having riding and tinkering with this bike :motonoises:

Who wants to borrow the 1" hole saw and extension next?  :eek:

If nobody answers I will send them back to their owner (Doug). 

DonH_NH said:
Who wants to borrow the 1" hole saw and extension next?  :eek:

If nobody answers I will send them back to their owner (Doug).

I'll take them next:
Scott Johnson
4160 M-72 East
Williamsburg, MI 49690
Thanks!

connie_rider said:
I looked back at the early notes and I think they are supposed to go to Sport Rider next...
Sport Rider,,, are you out there?

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry guys, I've missed this thread for a few days.  It's on the way to Scott now.  just put me back on the list where ever i can fit in.  I'm not in any big hurry for it, but would like to use it when available.

D

TCBeard said:
Sport Rider said:
I'll take it next if no one else is on the list.

It's on it's way to Sport-Rider...
Speak up if you'd like it next.  :great:

I might as well get it done. The 2002 has had the surgery prior to my ownership so the 2005 might as well get her baffles holed out too.
Send me a PM for address info whenever you are ready to pass them on.
Thanks.

jettawreck said:
TCBeard said:
Sport Rider said:
I'll take it next if no one else is on the list.

It's on it's way to Sport-Rider...
Speak up if you'd like it next.  :great:

I might as well get it done. The 2002 has had the surgery prior to my ownership so the 2005 might as well get her baffles holed out too.
Send me a PM for address info whenever you are ready to pass them on.
Thanks.

I'll catch up with you after I receive it.....

I should have asked everyone to sign the inside of the box and where they are. Kinda like puting stickers on your bike to show where you've been.  :D

After the bafflectomy I got 53 miles/ Imp. gal on a round trip to Montreal going 70 mph most of the time. My highest ever. Definitely sounds more growly and seems quicker as well. I like it.  ;D 

Well this should be good for a laugh  :))
I went and bought a extension for the hole saw to do the deed well my hole saw was not a ¼ inch but 5/16 so had to buy an adaptor or so I was told by the nice guy at home despot, so home I go again get home the hole saw was not staying in the adaptor so I found a nut driver that fit but there was no way to lock it in but heck I was not planning on going through was I……o dear ! so now I have one side with a hole in and a muffler with a hole saw in it by now it was late I was somewhat upset and as much as I cussed at it the hole saw would not jump out, I gave up went in to get a tea and ponder what next  :mad:
Next day I rode to work and yep no real noise but I did note the induction noise dropped ? but tonight I will remove the mufflers and get the saw out (or not ) and complete the job, o well this is what happens when you cannot leave stuff alone.  :))

stevedap said:
After the bafflectomy I got 53 miles/ Imp. gal on a round trip to Montreal going 70 mph most of the time. My highest ever. Definitely sounds more growly and seems quicker as well. I like it.  ;D

More noise = mo' power

Bafflectimization was completed over the weekend.  Who's next for the surgical procedure???  :great:

By the way...slight throaty sound at idle, but no noticable noise under throttle.

I have a video facing rearward that I took this afternoon. The mic on the camera picks up the exhaust sound fairly well. It will take awhile to download it and post it here but I'll get cracking at it.

Sport Rider said:
Bafflectimization was completed over the weekend.  Who's next for the surgical procedure???  :great:

By the way...slight throaty sound at idle, but no noticable noise under throttle.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I was next, but no real concern when if someone else wants to.
PM me for address if no one speaks for it.
Thanks

jettawreck said:
Sport Rider said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think I was next, but no real concern when if someone else wants to.
PM me for address if no one speaks for it.
Thanks

He who speaks next gets it!  :)

OOh, oohhh,,, I nominate myself to make the deeeeeeeeecision and co-ordinate this..  :great:

Jettawreck has already spoken...
jettawreck send your address to Sport Rider
Sportrider,,, put his address on the box and Ship it..............  :nananana:

Who's wants it next!!!  ???

Ahh, I feel better already..  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
OOh, oohhh,,, I nominate myself to make the deeeeeeeeecision and co-ordinate this..  :great:

Jettawreck has already spoken...
jettawreck send your address to Sport Rider
Sportrider,,, put his address on the box and Ship it..............  :nananana:

Who's wants it next!!!  ???

Ahh, I feel better already..  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Control issues, huh?  I thought that was just women....  :rotflmao:

Ted has recently retired and is sitting at home healing from knee surgery, ogling his new, unridden c-14. Cut the guy some slack  :-\ ;)  Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Ted has recently retired and is sitting at home healing from knee surgery, ogling his new, unridden c-14. Cut the guy some slack  :-\ ;)  Steve

No Steve.....he told me he's ridden it about 2 miles already!  I think he's actually scared of it.  :rotflmao:

Yepp, I admit it; I have "Cabin" AND "can't ride my new bike" Fever...
                        It scared me when I rode around the block Sunday.
                            (Try riding a brand new bike when you can't unbend your leg (to put your foot down) when someone stops in front of you!!!

So, I'm spending a LOT of time on the Forums and picking on folks...

Ride safe, Ted

Scubadoguk said:
Well this should be good for a laugh  :))
I went and bought a extension for the hole saw to do the deed well my hole saw was not a ¼ inch but 5/16 so had to buy an adaptor or so I was told by the nice guy at home despot, so home I go again get home the hole saw was not staying in the adaptor so I found a nut driver that fit but there was no way to lock it in but heck I was not planning on going through was I……o dear ! so now I have one side with a hole in and a muffler with a hole saw in it by now it was late I was somewhat upset and as much as I cussed at it the hole saw would not jump out, I gave up went in to get a tea and ponder what next  :mad:
Next day I rode to work and yep no real noise but I did note the induction noise dropped ? but tonight I will remove the mufflers and get the saw out (or not ) and complete the job, o well this is what happens when you cannot leave stuff alone.  :))

It's not a real project unless you have to make 3 trips to the hardware store.

well a follow up i did buy a grabber, and a magnet ON A STICK NO LESS  :) all failed so I took off the exhaust and turned it up side down shook and out dropped a very dirty hole saw  ;)  so of course I duct taped the crap out of it and did the other side :)

What kind of extension are you guys using that doesn't have either setscrews or some kind of chuck to hold the bit?  :-\

Seems odd that it would be made for a hole saw but not have any provision to lock the hole saw to the extension.

My hole saw has a 1/4 hex shank. So... I used a driver bit extension (actually two) and used duct tape (real duct tape, the sticky aluminum stuff) to hold it all together - it worked well :great:

Jorge

If I remember correctly, the one I sent around for everyone to use has a set screw to secure the bit to the extension.

Ok, now I understand. I do have lots of extensions for 1/4" hex bits, some of them don't lock the bit. I wasn't aware of any hole-saw arbor that would fit a 1/4" hex though, thus my confusion.

As a tribute to red green and for everyone delight  :)) the Indiana hole saw extension  ;)

Attachments

• 20141024_083311res.jpg
    20141024_083311res.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 20141024_081859res.jpg
    20141024_081859res.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 20141024_082938res.jpg
    20141024_082938res.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20141024_083311res.jpg
    20141024_083311res.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 155
  Well, I did the bafflectomy (1 1/8 in.) and have done a couple of 60 mile rides. Doesn't sound to bad but I think I prefer the stock mufflers.  I hate to say it but I'm older than dirt and prefer a quiet bike.  ???  Shoulda dun this many years ago in my younger days.  >:D

Yea, I understand,, but, does it feel any different?
More torque?

More importantly,,,, Can you outrun the young guys?  <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

This thread got me thinking so I went out to the shop and shined a light up the old Wazoo. It's not pretty but the Bafflectomy has been done with what looks like stabs with a rebar or several dull drill bits. It's opened up but the edges, if they were accessible, would tear your panty hose. Which goes to show, If your bike is around long enough it will have the proper mods.

connie_rider said:
Yea, I understand,, but, does it feel any different?
More torque?

More importantly,,,, Can you outrun the young guys?  <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

More torque? I don't think so but than again I have Steve's torque cams.  :great: But  I have always known noise = more HP!! :)

Ahh, great minds, think alike!

But::: More importantly,,,, Does it help you outrun the young guys?  <evil grin>  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Ahh, great minds, think alike!

But::: More importantly,,,, Does it help you outrun the young guys?  <evil grin>  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

Not anymore. I prefer they get the speeding ticket!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ok, the hole saw got used today. I took about 30 seconds a side with a couple minutes to extract the slug out of the saw. Slick and easy and done.
Who is next?
If no takers it gets sent back to its generous owner.
Thank you.

Edit: Got the 2005 out for its final ride and fill of fuel for the year before snow. A bit more exhaust bark than the '02, especially at idle. Rather authoritive sounding under acceleration, again a bit more than my '02. Perhaps part of the reason is the 1 1/8" hole saw takes out the entire diameter of the exhaust outlet, whereas if some are punctured or cut with smaller size bits some baffeling left.

If you do this mod, are there any other changes (jetting, idle, etc.) that need to be made? Have the 7th gear, rejetting, and 2 minute mod from SISF on bike already.

kds said:
If you do this mod, are there any other changes (jetting, idle, etc.) that need to be made? Have the 7th gear, rejetting, and 2 minute mod from SISF on bike already.

No .

Good to see this is still being done.
So much BS and name calling when this first started out many years ago.
Now the guy is a guru for things both C10 and C14.

Long way from Bubba behind a WaffleHouse.

cra-z1000 said:
kds said:

No .

I disagree, with all due respect.  It wasn't until I did the bafflectomy that I began getting deacceleration pop.  It may be a coincidense, but I don't think so.  Deacceleration pop is mainly due to a lean fuel mixture which can be caused by a variety of things, but I find it odd that it began happening the day I did the pipes.  In fact, I still have the same problem even though I have since switched to Delkevics.

No jetting changes needed on the 2002 or the 2005 and I did the baffelectomy on that one after SISF carb work and exhaust cam sprocket, etc.

My 06 popped on deceleration after the bafflectomy.  I backed the pilot screws out another half a turn and eliminated the pop.

I disagree, with all due respect.  It wasn't until I did the bafflectomy that I began getting deacceleration pop.  It may be a coincidense, but I don't think so.  Deacceleration pop is mainly due to a lean fuel mixture which can be caused by a variety of things, but I find it odd that it began happening the day I did the pipes.  In fact, I still have the same problem even though I have since switched to Delkevics.
[/quote]
Actually Rick,
The decal pop is NOT from a lean condition but actually a RICH condition. Lean would mean no fuel to burn in the exhaust. Since all bikes are set up rich from the factory one of the only things that keeps them from popping on decal is the back pressure of the stock restrictive exhaust systems. the bafflectomy removed some of that restriction and there you are now it pops!
Matt

( I make my C14 pop on decal on purpose! I like it! )

Ok, so I was close.

I actually stopped the pop when I installed the block off plates, which to me, means I had an air leak in all that unnecessary plumbing.  The air leak, to my way of thinking, would have leaned out the mixture.  Be that as it may, the pop started again at some point and I don't know why.  I just live with it until I one day get PBFoot to adjust my pilot screws.

This is where I obtained my understanding of the decel problem.  I think my experience with the block off plates indicate I was running a little lean, which, according to the explanation below, would make sense.

If you think about the mechanics of what is going on upon decel, it makes perfect sense:

You start out with an engine that is turning high RPM with a carb that is open, flowing freely. Next, you close that slide. This has the effect of creating a tremendous vaccuum in the intake manifold (CHOKE!). This vaccuum does curious things:

1. It pulls air and fuel from wherever it can--including the idle and low speed jetting in the carb.

2. To counteract the vaccuum, air will take the path of least resistance--including sucking exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap (the brief period of time that the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time.

So what does this mean? Well, now you have a disproportionate rich mixture heading for the cylinder AND what little oxygen is drawn in is further diluted by gases that are coming back into the chamber from the exhaust valve. The result is poor, incomplete combustion! Depending on the temperature of the exhaust pipe and gases, reignition is possible once this mixture is introduced into a more oxygen rich environment. This produces the "pop."

Why does a lean running engine have a tendency to excessively pop? The exhaust gas temperature of a lean engine is substantially higher than one that is running on the rich side ( an EGT probe will show this). Therefore, the high EGT serves to heat the pipe more and the gases themselves become a much better source of re-ignition. By richening things up, you are cooling down the exhaust temp and therefore reducing potential re-ignition sources.

Any 4 stroke engine--even those that are flawlessly tuned will pop on decel. It is harmless, but can be annoying--granted. However, I would never alter the jetting of an otherwise performing motorcycle to get rid of it. Go by the seat of your pants and the color of your spark plug rather than the popping as an indication of the jetting of your scoot!

After reading the many posts on this subject I have decided to undertake this mod on the "Grey Flicker". I will update on the results.  :motonoises:

I had Cobra's on my C-10 and got tired of the loud.
Installed stock with baffelectomy recently.

With the Cobra's the bike had noticible decell pop.
Didn't notice it with the baffelectomy. hmmmm
(May because it is so much quieter though)..

Ride safe, Ted

I got the cobras now. Not too loud. Years before installing them I put block off plates on and had bafflectomized OEMS and started to got the popping on deaccel. Now with the cobras the popping is a little louder.
So if I'm riding in neighborhoods early morning or later at night I try not to deaccel too much by downshifting.
But twist of the wrist in rural and highways and the cobras growl nicely.

connie_rider said:
I had Cobra's on my C-10 and got tired of the loud.
Installed stock with baffelectomy recently.

With the Cobra's the bike had noticible decell pop.
Didn't notice it with the baffelectomy. hmmmm
(May because it is so much quieter though)..

Ride safe, Ted

After a long trip with 14" Delkevic's, I kinda wanted the OEM's with the bafflectomy back on there for that. But I also like having a nice exhaust note when traveling, sometimes people need to hear it.

I know this post is a few years old but I wanted to give my 2 cents worth on it.
I recently took a chance and drilled a hole in the baffle of my exhaust. It is only a slightly louder but a little deeper in tone. I noticed on a recent trip with my wife and I and helmets that it resonated more than before. It was not annoying but it did hum in the helmet more than before. If this was all I noticed I'd say that it was worth the $20 I spent on the right sized hole drill bit. However I think others have noted a difference in acceleration. I did as well. It seemed to breath more freely in the midrange but I felt less torque, so honestly it felt less powerful. This is a drawback.
I was going for a better sound. I think the older I get and the more mechanical the more I like the sound of a motor. The four cylinders like these are smooth and do have their own feel and sound to them but to me it's not much more than a economy car. I also have a VFR750 and if I could make it as comfortable and practical as the connie I'd prefer it. Love the sound it has with my aftermarket pipes. I just want something with a little more grunt sound to it with a thumpy feel rather than a buzz. Just my opinion.
Other than that my connie is great and my wife loves it. It's a beast to get out of the garage and move around a parking lot but it's great once it gets going. I'll be sticking with it for some time I think.

Someone did a Dyno comparison a few years back. It showed 1-3 gains at all rpms on hp and torque. It also helped fix the torque slump just under 5k.

i did it and liked it,no regrets any body who wants to do it i will send you the the Bit
used  once at my convince.Snail mail as soon as i can.