• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battery problem

Weg3111

Training Wheels
I've not been able to get my bike started twice now and would like to get some input on my problem. The story goes.... I went for a short ride one morning to test ride all the mods I had just done to my bike. I got back to the house and went inside for 10 or 15 minutes. When I came back out to take off again the bike wouldn't start. The battery wasn't dead just didn't have a enough juice to get it started. I had left my gps plugged in, can't rememeber if I left the switch on or not. Still I didn't think I was in long enough to create a problem. I used my battery charger and got it started, went riding and had no problems the rest of the day. Rode a few times after that also. Then today it wouldn't start again . It had been sitting for only about 4 days since my last ride. The gps wasn't on it and it wasn't left on. I just got a battery tender junior so I installed the wire and then tried to start it with my battery charger. No luck so I've got it plugged into the BTJ right now. I'll try to start it later after the light goes green I guess? Does anyone have any helpful words of wisdom concerning C14s and the batteries? I never had a problem with my Vulcan and I'm getting a little worried about getting stranded somewhere.

Quite a few people have had to have their battery replaced under warranty for the same problem. It sounds like the battery is no good. If you don't have anything wired that would be a battery drain and the connections are clean and tight. It is most likely the battery. From what I have heard, Kawasaki has been pretty good at replacing the batteries on the C14's that have exhibited these kinds of battery troubles. I suggest taking it back to the dealer. They should replace the battery under warranty!

Well, the battery tender brought it up to full charge in about an hour and a half so I took it out for a ride. I wanted to put that lead on anyway. Went down to Buccees for some crack (aka beef jerky) and didn't have any problems. It started up fine and brought me home. If I have any problems beyond this I guess I'll pull the battery out and take it to the dealer and get it checked. I'm just surprised that it went down in only 4 days.

My guess is that you left the key on. This will drain the battery in short order.

It's really easy to accidentally leave the key on, because KIPASS gets you in the habit of not removing the key, so if you put the sidestand down in gear and kill the engine, you may then forget to turn the key off.

I installed a buzzer circuit that BDF first suggested, and it reminds me if I accidentally leave the key on. It has already saved me at least half a dozen times. Its documented on this site in the Tech Section.

Ok, its confirmed I have a bad battery. Rode over to some friends house and visited for 2 1/2 hours. When I went to leave she wouldn't start. Luckily I had my battery tender jr. with me so I plugged it in for 30 min and it started right up. I'm pulling the battery tonight and taking it in first thing in the morning. I hope they have one in stock as I was planning on riding tomorrow.

I figured it was the battery. You might want to call them first. They may make you bring the whole bike in. Hopefully they would just let you bring the battery. But it can't hurt to  call!