• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battlax and 3D

Cherryriver

There's just not enough tire stuff here.
So I had my project '99 up for sale on Craigslist and a young fellow was coming to look at it.
I'd checked the bike's tires' date codes when I got it last autumn and both were good til late spring this year, 2020.
As I went to check the tire pressures in advance of a test ride (I have few qualms about test rides of bikes we're selling), I saw serious cracks down the center of the old Dunlops deep in the tread.  No way I'd let anyone ride the thing much less myself, so I yanked the front wheel off, headed over to my local (Yamaha) dealer.  They had a 120/70 Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 on the shelf and tossed it on as I waited (and ignored the used '17 Z900 they had at a good price).
Naturally, neither that guy nor anyone else came to look since.  But I have the spiffy new tire on the front and if I'm going to hang on to the bike as seems possible, I got to looking at radials to put on the back.
Yes, I know quite a few people are okay with mixing types, but I did that once long ago on my first C10 and really, really didn't like it.
What pops up is the Avon 3D X-M.
Boy, there's a lot of disagreement about this line in the past but the controversy seems to have died down.
So, I'm looking for more current opinions on the combo, or, what else I might do.

I've had a rear for several years, I had front & rear for about 9 months and 4,000 miles (not sure).
Very responsive tires, fun to ride, good grip.
Had to replace front when it started vibrating at high speeds, and the handlebars started shaking side-side at low speeds.
I raised the front wheel, and the tire has a couple of high spots, and a couple of low spots. I used a grease pencil to mark the tire and found them.
I don't know what caused them, but I knew I didn't want to ride on it any more, so I replaced it with a Pirelli. just as responsive. I almost, but didn't replace the rear tire as well.
There are others here that will never put an Avon on their bike, I'm now one of them.

You can also get the Avon Spirit ST in the rear size for the C10.  :great:
I have run Michelin PR3 front and Avon 3DXM rear for several years on my C10.
I love the combination.
I will be trying the Spirit ST rear once the current 3DXM wears out.

At one point I ran 3DXM front and rear, but the front is crap compared to the PR3.
I've never run a BT-023, but the BT-021 supplied on my C14 was utter garbage.

I had to think pretty hard to recall if I'd ever had a BT-023.  I just can't.  Possibly on my departed high-miler ZX1100E.
I know that bike ate quite a few BT-045s (as I recall) during its 100K+ miles of perfect service and transportation.
The Concours' 20-mile test ride on a greasy new tire yesterday did not go to testing extremes, needless to say.  Maybe next week I can try it out some more.
I have no idea if the C10 is going to be sold or stay, so the decision is getting put off day by day.