• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bead

hadaveha

Guys I just changed my front tire all went well, but now I can get it to take the bead.  I’ve tried ratchet straps.  A lot of soapy water.        This tire is making a clown out of me.  Any advice?

I'm not sure if you're saying you can't get the bead to seal at all, or that you can't get it to come up all the way to set against the rim properly.

If you can't get it to seal at all, take the valve core out so you can get the largest volume of air in.  Use one of the nozzles that are designed for blowing air.  And if your compressor doesn't have a big enough tank to give you the volume needed, you might need to take it to a tire shop where they have large air compressors.  I'd imagine they would just fill it up for free.

If the issue isn't getting the bead to seal against the rim, but getting the bead to set properly against the rim totally, just have patience.  Let the soap and air pressure work.  Maybe uninflate the tire, then reinflate it.  Eventually, it will pop and seat itself fully.

Chris

1 trick is to reach thru the tire and push 1 bead onto the rim.
Then flip the tire over. (sealed bead side; up).
Remove stem to allow lots of air flow.
  Possibly add ratchet strap.
Fill with air...

Ride safe, Ted

Lemon Pledge always works good for me. And always have the valve stem out  when trying to pop the bead.