• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Been Riding

North Cali is great.  The coast north of Eureka hard to beat.  Had to stop in Portland because I worked up a leak in my front forks and ate my tires up in 4400 miles on some wow roads.  I am at about 5200 total now and in Kalispell, Mt.  about to try to do some Going to the sun road.  Part is still closed. :(

I try to update a new video or two on most days.  It is to rain tomorrow so I may sit that out.  Been 99% dry on me so far.(knock wood)  Hard to imagine in the PNW.

smithr1 said:
  about to try to do some Going to the sun road.  Part is still closed. :(

Having ridden it a couple times the Sun road is great for checking out scenery. It's not a ridding road so to speak, but a nice road to say you rode. Traffic speed is about 5 mph when moving, road is always wet & muddy. Being so narrow I'm not sure how they get traffic turned around at closure. Avalanche lake is very nice, but a long uphill hike from the boardwalk at the west side of Sun road.

Bear tooth pass & Chief Joseph Hwy are must ride roads. They are just south of Red Lodge, I lean towards Chief Joseph as my favorite.

Don't miss these two & enjoy the trip Bob!

Cliff  :beerchug: 

I survived!  11 states, 7520 miles and 5 weeks on the road.  If you go to the link in the first post I made a short video scrap book of each leg of my trip.  It may look better if you download depending on your connection. 

I will try to write something up for the magazine.  My back is kind of protesting when I sit for long still but other than that I had about as perfect a trip as you could expect.
:motonoises:

Thanks for sharing the videos and pictures.  That takes a lot of work to do that.

A couple questions, if you have a moment...
  • Did you use a GoPro?  Or some other camera?
  • How did you mount your camera?  You did a good job of moving it side to side on 6_8Zion, but then it swung around back to show you, so it wasn't helmet mounted like my Sena 10C.

Chris

Hi  Chris,
I had a GoPro Session hanging on a safety lanyard around my neck.  Every video I am driving with one hand and filming what I want to show with the other. 

I had tried everything to get where I could shoot stills from a helmet mounted camera but the remote would run the battery down and when you look at something your eyes follow but not really your helmet.  Having it in hand was better for pointing but worse for steady.  It was hard to be steady enough because of wind and bumps.  I wonder if I am the first to try this?

smithr1 said:
...Every video I am driving with one hand and filming what I want to show with the other. 

...Having it in hand was better for pointing but worse for steady....I wonder if I am the first to try this?
:)) Maybe the last too!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I like having my video camera, but I've also become a realist.  My wife will come downstairs to look at my pictures, but only if I mention it.  Otherwise, she doesn't care that much.  I post pictures on forums, but few people even bother to say thank you.  And on a forum, the quality of the picture doesn't really matter that much.  You're viewing it on a computer screen, not printing it on paper.

Videos eat up any "free" storage you can get, so you're quickly getting into buying cloud storage space.  Plus, it takes hours to edit a short video segment.  I didn't find that worth it.  Like I said, I'm a realist.

I appreciate what you've done, but riding with one hand ...

Chris

I have been riding a while.  Maybe 200k+ just on 4 Concour.  I took about 700 clips.  I only had to drop the camera while running twice from safety concerns.  Most times I was going slow, or all alone.

A trip report for this trip is in the club magazine this month, Trip 18. 

The short videos of the highlights are still up on my dropbox also. They may not be forever so have a look if you wish. 

smithr1 said:
A trip report for this trip is in the club magazine this month, Trip 18. 

T'was a nicely written magazine contribution with photos selected well - thanks
The story's last paragraph's connection to this forum was excellent way to close, IMO.