• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Been snooping, finally joined. Just bought 97 Connie 52k

snopro00934

Took sellers word for it bike was good to go mechanically, was aware of piston height test, didn't do it. And now here I am, ready to go back together, already rebuilt WP, carbs done by SISF (haven't cked yet) crossover pipe rusted thru( obviously new that at purchase). Have a long list of other items to be done. Have a trip VT to TN/NC in May, need to get my butt in gear (lack of ambition sometimes). Not to start hammering questions BUT, 2 pics with quarter as size reference are a small metal dowel (almost looks like oil jet?) was found in oil pan, can some tell me where it belongs?? Appreciate all the info on site, Thanks
Eric in VT

Attachments

• Concours0 (1).zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • Concours0 (2).zip
    763.1 KB · Views: 127
Scary Harry, thanks for unzipping files, i'm not known for my computer prowess.
Add an image box to you message that allows you to drag and drop the image into you message.
When composing a message, click on the icon just left of the happy face and it's all downhill from there.

Your pictures are a good size.

Dam, just looking at that rod makes me wnna cry...

Glad to see I’m not the only one who looked at that and thought “holy smokes, was that a drag bike?” because there were some serious load forces put on it while under VERY high temps. Otherwise it would have snapped like a pretzel stick. Instead it bent like it was made of putty.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who looked at that and thought “holy smokes, was that a drag bike?” because there were some serious load forces put on it while under VERY high temps. Otherwise it would have snapped like a pretzel stick. Instead it bent like it was made of putty.
It was probably cold, bent at initial startup(s) due to fuel hydrolock - the reason many C10 owners have overflow tubes installed in their carb bowls.
BentRod1.jpgBentRod2.jpgBentRod3.jpg

Took sellers word for it bike was good to go mechanically, was aware of piston height test, didn't do it. And now here I am, ready to go back together, already rebuilt WP, carbs done by SISF (haven't cked yet) crossover pipe rusted thru( obviously new that at purchase). Have a long list of other items to be done. Have a trip VT to TN/NC in May, need to get my butt in gear (lack of ambition sometimes). Not to start hammering questions BUT, 2 pics with quarter as size reference are a small metal dowel (almost looks like oil jet?) was found in oil pan, can some tell me where it belongs?? Appreciate all the info on site, Thanks
Eric in VT
The small part in question appears to be the oil jet / placement dowel from the oil pump housing.

There's also an O ring that goes with it.

Let us know how you approach the cross over pipe fix - (I'm in need of that too).

1648205039892.png1648205234237.png

Stasch, thanks for the find, man I went thru all those pics. I never removed the pump housing? How did that dowel get out? Now ,what's this about crossover pipe fix ???

I made the same gamble buying my '95 but thankfully no issues. I was able to hear it run and ride it. A really low cylinder gives a noticeable skip that burns into your memory after the first time you encounter it. @#@%@&@$@#!!!!

That's going to be quite a project. Hope all goes well. You're in the right place to get info for sure.

Where are you planning to visit in NC/TN?

Stasch, thanks for the find, man I went thru all those pics. I never removed the pump housing? How did that dowel get out?
Did you split the cases for a bent piston rod R&R?

If not maybe someone else did has been in there before and didn't replace it, or it never got installed at the factory, or a spare one fell in at the factory? Anybody's guess.

Stasch, thanks for the find, man I went thru all those pics. I never removed the pump housing? How did that dowel get out?
You mentioned "crossover pipe rusted thru (obviously new that at purchase)." in your original post.

I'm was assuming you were referring to the exhaust header back where the two halves join together back by the center stand?

Merle, can't tell if one rod is bent just by running bike, this one ran ok too. Compression was low and carb throat very black. We'll be riding tail of dragon and blue ridge, etc. Rented house in Franklin, NC. already installed used rod assy, reringed, now need to give head quick look over. Once that stuff is done, gonna fab 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust, then I can start farkleing?

Stasch, did not pull engine or split, pulled #3 thru pan, obviously pull head, carbs, exhaust, coolers, etc. I am one to get started, then the list grows. Purchased bike with rusted out crossover. I didn't need to pull balancer to get rod out , just rotate crank to gain access to rod nuts. Went over radiator, straighten fins, de-gravel ( lot of center area plugged w/ sand gravel, etc.). Cleaned oil cooler, reseal water pump, pull carb bowls, ck over, cleaned engine, degrease, all this so far, still lots to go. Need to make fender ext, go thru forks, would like to do rear shock upgrade (zzr), some wiring to clean up, etc, etc. I'm into it for 1600 so far, bike, all parts, probably be another 200ish down road. Haven't even ridden it yet...

Stasch, (is your first name Mush? ha) Sorry when I read crossover and we were talking about oil pan, I thought u were referring to oil crossover next to oil pump in oil pan. May get some time in shop on 3/27 sun.

Also posted in classifieds, LOOKING for used MADSTAD for C-10, could even be a Madstad that hit the pavement, or damaged somehow. Everything has some value to someone.