• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best windscreen for Tall rider. 1400.

ss1179852

Woody in BC
I just purchased a 2009 C1400 and am 6’4”
Could I get some opinions on what brands/models/sizes might be a good fit for me?
I live in Western Canada. I can see using the factory screen in the summer but would like one for early spring and late fall riding in the colder weather.
I read some comments about tall screens stressing the structure holding the windscreen in place and do not want this occurring
Your input would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Steve

There's another post with the same question recently, so I'm just pasting my response to that one:

I am 6'3" and I use a VStream on my 2015 Connie. I am not completely behind the screen but it puts me in a comfortable spot as far as buffeting. I look just over the top of the screen when it's in the tallest position.

6'4" and haven't found a good solution. I'm a little wary of overstressing the mechanism. I think it might have changed, but I have a 2014. I have one of those laminar lip things on the top of my OEM shield, which helps some, but I like the wind in the summer (hot here in the SE US a LOT) and ride with it all the way down anyway (ear plugs required). I tend to ride my Goldwing in the winter and its windshield is quite big. Now there's the solution for you: Two bikes?!

6'4" here.

I run a 4.5" CalSci (one of the older models, bought in 2010) and usually keep it all the way down when running at speeds over 45MPH. As soon as the temps climb to a point that I can use a less restrictive shield I swap it for the one off my 2012. When summer arrives, the original short shield goes back on.

I'm not tall, but {In another discussion} I suggested the MRA Vario or the MRA Xcreen.
Their actually shorter than an OEM shield.
I think they offer better protection from the wind, have a movable wing on top to control where the air is moving, and they don't strain the windshield mounts.

I know of taller guys that use them, and think their great.

Ride safe, Ted

I am 6'1" and use the stock windscreen. After installing a Madstadt (sp?!?) windscreen mount I have the perfect setup.

IMHO, The National Cycle V Stream windshield is the BEST option for the C14, since the exit of the Cee Bailey option.
Not only does it provide superior wind management when the shield is down, but when at the top, the same protection is offered. Please note that I believe in needing to have eye level at least 1" above the top when sitting up straight. (or as straight as you can)
Also, there are several options available to create even higher wind flow (EG: Laminar Lip) if you desire. Some are adjustable and can be very useful. Woody lives in Canada so he can find the V Stream on the FORT NINE website and have it delivered to his house for free.
Just saying.

Ivan
Canadian Prairie Rider

Thanks Ivan.
Timely reply. I reached out and Cogger Gary had a Vstream he wasn’t using anymore in beautiful shape. It arrived today and is on the bike. Thanks so much Gary!
Snowed 6 inches today. The new screen looks great. Sitting on the centre stand it worked perfectly😂

I look forward to spring!

Ivan. I do have the one inch you mention so it seems it is a great fit for me.
Contact me if you come out to the okanagan.
Woody

Attachments

• EB61FD3E-182B-48D6-BFE8-A4AC42FB4EB0.jpeg
    EB61FD3E-182B-48D6-BFE8-A4AC42FB4EB0.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 186
I just purchased a 2009 C1400 and am 6’4”
Could I get some opinions on what brands/models/sizes might be a good fit for me?
I live in Western Canada. I can see using the factory screen in the summer but would like one for early spring and late fall riding in the colder weather.
I read some comments about tall screens stressing the structure holding the windscreen in place and do not want this occurring
Your input would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Steve
V Stream

At 6'2", I have a CalSci Concours 08-14 XLarge. Talking to the owner, I recall it is rated safe up to 120MPH. I have run full up for hours at 90 - 100 MPH (Texas Back Roads). Approaching 120+ I drop it down.

Works best for me when I look just over the top and I trade a little noise for vision clarity. Due to the angle of the screen, when you look through the top you will get a compressed view (everything looks flat, wide and not the correct distance).

YMMV, buy my 6'6" son loves it. It will also depend on if you sit up straight or slouch.

Using the Madstad Brackets, I think the angle might be adjusted for your height with the XL CalSci .

Dimitrius

68058336792__3ABAF1C2-01F0-4FD8-994E-631CC6C3362B.JPG

I’m 6’1” have a 2017 C-14 and use the CalSci Large which is rated to 155 mph. If you travel any speeds deeper into the 100+ range I highly recommend the pre-2015 model windshield which will fit any year C-14.

The 2015+ Large CalSci, although also rated to 155 mph, will fail at higher speeds (crack, split, pop, blow-up) due to the wider window shape and the opening being too close to the mount holes where the energy simply cannot be dispersed by this type material. CalSci has replaced several windshields for me under warranty; in my experience 2015+ Large CalSci is only good to about 130 - 135, anything over this - the windshield will endure only a limited number of runs runs before it will fail.

The pre-2015 model has a totally different designed opening and rating to 155 mph is legit, it will not fail in the same manner or frequency, I have yet to break one compared to 3 or 4 of the 2015+ model.

The protection is the same on both year model windshields both up top and the sides improved over stock. I thought the extra large CalSci was too big and speed rating well, not what I needed.

Hope this helps,

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Last edited: