• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Big Bagger

giff57

I'm looking to add a big bagger to the stable.  I see a low mileage 1997 Voyager for sale.  Does anyone know anything about these?  There is a group but the page is wonky.  Other good choices? 

If you're talking about this site:
https://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=142257288970fd6bc88b943f52fd73b6
I used to lurk there daily and can't ever recall having issues with the site.  Those are the guys that know them the best.  I thought about buying one but never did pull the trigger.  Don't have to adjust valves and factory cruise control tops my like list.  I believe there is at least one member of COG that has one.  IIRC it's Thud.  Another member told me once that the biggest problem with the voyager is the owners.  They tend to think that they're worth all the money.  I've seen them show up on craigslist from time to time as low as $1200.  Those were all a good distance from me and I wasn't willing to drive 8-10 hours to get one.  The early model ones had an issue with the igniter if IIRC.  The 86 didn't come with cruise.  Expect to upgrade the suspension front and rear.  If you ride two up a lot or are on the heavier side, go with heavy duty springs on the rear shocks.

Thanks!  That’s a lot of info. So what do you think about older Goldwings?  Not as cheap but are they more trouble free?  How many miles are too many on a wing?  I’m pretty comfortable doing my own maintenance.  I am looking at the bagger for two up riding. 

ZXtasy said:
Sooooo, the Connie is not the Big Bagger? That is why I bought mine.
Depends, it's a big bagger if your SO is a small spinner. Wife won't have anything to do with pillion on mine, claims it's cramped and that i "ride too fast". I also bought my C14 to function as my relaxed pace land barge, that didn't work out.

The early Voyagers used the Z1300 6 cyl motor.
The middle ones used a 1200cc version of the C10 motor.
The latest ones use a 1700cc V-twin from the Vulcan cruiser.
Styling is either "Vetter" or "Road-King" which is great if you like that kind of thing.
All are reasonably reliable, but not as reliable as the Wings.

If you can stretch to an early 1800cc Wing (2001-2017), then that'd be the route I'd choose.
They are super-comfy, fast enough, handle as well as a C10, and seem to have been pretty reliable.
The pre-2001 1500cc ones are a bit of a boat in size and handling and are IMHO ugly as sin, especially those decked out like something from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

There is also the Suzuki Cavalcade if you are thinking of 80s motorcycles, or the Victory Vision, BMW K1600GTL or 2018- Honda GL1800 if you are rich.

Dan,
  don't overlook the early BMW K12LT models either, specifically those before '04-'05 with their expensive abs brake module issuses. Lot of bike for not a lot of coin...  The big girl will dance w/ the best of them also...Real decent owners group as well, and there's a lot of online tuning/maintenance you tube videos from a guy in Illinois to help out when needed. 

I would add the 99-13 Yamaha Venture to the list. All the amenities, cruiserish styling and a VMax motor. And because they're a well kept secret, you can find them on the cheap. They are Very Comfortable and make 100whp. You can also throw VMax mods at them, if you like that kind of thing.  >:D

I added an '08 Wing to the garage last year. Rode it to the Williamsport, PA National rally and back last summer, stretched out, leaning on my gear, using the cruise, checking out the scenery.... 2,300+ miles in 9 days.

GL 1800 Gold Wing for the win! Quiet, smooth, mile eater.  Handles curves and interstate both equally well.

Wife say the Wing is OUR bike and the C-14 is MY bike.

(Interestingly though, the C-14  stock panniers seem to hold more stuff than the Wing's do, but they're still big.)

HeavyRotation said:
I would add the 99-13 Yamaha Venture to the list. All the amenities, cruiserish styling and a VMax motor. And because they're a well kept secret, you can find them on the cheap. They are Very Comfortable and make 100whp. You can also throw VMax mods at them, if you like that kind of thing.  >:D

There are some good deals out there for those.  Thanks!