• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Big Bend-Davis Mountains Rally

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
Big Bend-Davis Mountains Rally is tentatively set to return this fall 2021. I am favoring the Highland Inn again for the lower cost and available fire pit. If we do return I will bring a large coffee pot for the mornings as they do not have coffee in the rooms.

I am not putting up a specific date yet, but it will be the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd of October 2021.

All of this is contingent upon pandemic conditions and responses here. Any food, dining, or other COG provided items (except for prizes) is subject to health and safety concerns by the State of Texas and attendees.

I will put this on the calendar once a location and date are inked in. Right now I wold like some feedback regarding attendance.

Craig

Last edited:
Craig, I'll be interested in attending.

Just a fyi; Cliff, Jim, and I have been doing a fall ride in Arkansas.
If things work out, we will try to do so again.
Will co-ordinate with you on dates.

Ride safe, Ted

Hi, I would like to attend. Thank you for doing the planning and arrangements. Will be coming from home (El Paso). -Bob Church

Good stuff! I shall try to get details soon to post. Need my BB fix!

bUMP

I'll attend regardless of dates...but I'm still pushing for the 28th thru 30th. Nudge nudge...šŸ˜ˆ
Marty:
If it actually happens please let me know when and where and I will be there as the Big Bend is almost in my back yard.

Lovelle, COG 4446

Marty:
If it actually happens please let me know when and where and I will be there as the Big Bend is almost in my back yard.

Lovelle, COG 4446
I will, but to be clear .....I'm not in charge of this one...I'm just trying to be.......influential? :rolleyes: :D

There's no ICU beds available in that part of Texas right now. The town of Iraan in Pecos County has 50% Covid infection rate from the delta variant and they are airlifting folks to out of state ICU beds from there.

Bottom line is if there are no ICU beds available, I am cancelling the COG sponsored ride. I will make a decision early next month. That does not mean that riders can't go to Alpine, just that it will not be sponsored as a COG event.

It would be irresponsible to host a ride where if someone went down, there may not be timely medical/trauma treatment for a rider/pillion. Previously, trauma patients in Alpine usually get airlifted to Midland Odessa and there are having ICU capacity problems due to Covid.

I know this is not popular news, but I would rather disappoint you with the truth rather than sweep it under the rug and act like nothing is going on right now.

Ride your own ride and mitigate the risks as you deem prudent. It is a great area to ride, but COG is not sponsoring a ride here this year.:cry:

Last edited:
Cancelling the COG part is not a bad decision at this time but not so much for area ICU capacity but for the presently open border situation. I made a day ride down to Terlingua Saturday and those who may have a propensity to travel above the posted legal speed limit will not find it enjoyable for the next few months. One would think there was a regional law enforcement convention being held down there. DPS, Border Patrol and County officers are how should we say " in abundance ". I visited with a DPS Trooper whom I previously worked with and Chris said they caught 4 illegals from Mexico on Texas registered motorcycles in the previous two weeks with large amounts of fentynal. They were caught on open highway and not a the two Border Patrol check points. In the past when we gathered in the Big Bend area we were given a fair bit of a break as far as speed etc. Not now! They are now looking for PC to stop motorcycles as much as other vehicles. .

Stay safe!

Lovelle COG 4446

Big Bend ride is officially cancelled. I will do my best to have this ride next year as an official COG/AMA sanctioned ride.

Craig