• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Big Bend-Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties 2022

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
Big Bend-Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties returns for 2022 on the 21st and 22nd of October 2022. The rally will be based at the Highland Inn located in Alpine, TX:

Highland Inn
1404 East Hwy 90
Alpine, TX 79830
ph: 432-837-5811

King or double queen rooms are $65.00 per night.

Big Bend National Park, Davis Mountains, McDonald Observatory, and arguably some of the best riding in Texas is at your beck and call. Alpine is home to many amenities and dining including the original Reata Steakhouse. Firepit is on premises.

Please book now as rooms can fill up for the fall which is the season for Big Bend visitors.

Contact me for any questions.

Ride Free, Craig

I registered for this and am looking forward to it! Are folks getting the hotel room for two nights (Friday and Saturday October 21 and 22)? My thinking is Friday travel there, Saturday enjoy the area, and Sunday return home.

rbrownleec, I'm unsure how far you are from Big Bend?
For most it's at least a days travel to get there.
I recommend traveling/arriving on Thursday. Enjoy riding on Fri and sat, then return home on Sunday.

Ride safe, Ted

I think I have missed every year since this event move to fall. My wedding anniversary is the same timeframe and we usually do something not motorcycle. I so want to go back to BB though. Maybe next year. :( We are both retiring fully early next year. I hope.

Big Bend-Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties returns for 2022 on the 21st and 22nd of October 2022. The rally will be based at the Highland Inn located in Alpine, TX:

Highland Inn
1404 East Hwy 90
Alpine, TX 79830
ph: 432-837-5811

King or double queen rooms are $65.00 per night.

Big Bend National Park, Davis Mountains, McDonald Observatory, and arguably some of the best riding in Texas is at your beck and call. Alpine is home to many amenities and dining including the original Reata Steakhouse. Firepit is on premises.

Please book now as rooms can fill up for the fall which is the season for Big Bend visitors.

Contact me for any questions.

Ride Free, Craig
Registered

17 registrants so far! FYI, there has been lots of rain in the Big Bend area so a lot of green and blooms in the desert are awaiting us. There are still openings for the McDonald Observatory Star Party on Friday night if you are interested:

Star Party

Troy and I are bringing everything needed for firewood and I will have a coffee pot for the mornings.

I will have special bubbly for those who complete FM170 from Study Butte to Presidio (either direction), Details at Alpine.

Ride free Big Bend Rancheros,

Craig

Longrider here. I'm coming in on Thursday. Unfortunately, I'm trail*@=_g UGH!! my Wing this go round. After heart surgery in June, that 5.5 Hrs in the saddle seems best reserved for saddle tramping around BB. Both my C-10's are wilting from neglect but I really need to do this. Looking forward to having with the best group on two wheels again.

The coffee amenities at the Highland Inn are minimal so Troy and yours truly are bringing coffee makers, sleeved paper cups, sweeteners, and creamers. There is no 220v available in the rooms so the three station Marzocco expresso bar will have to be left at home.

For those that want breakfast, there are some choices of the Penny's Diner next to the Quality Inn on the east side of town, and Judy's Bread and Breakfast on the east bound portion of Holland Ave downtown across from the railroad station.

We can discuss some kind of dinner arrangement for Saturday night or bring in pizza. With roaring fires it will not be too cold to bad mouth Ted (SC) and bench race.

For Alpine:

Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 75. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming northeast in the afternoon.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. East wind around 5 mph becoming southwest after midnight.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 81. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 84.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.
Sunday
Isolated showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 82.

For the first timers, be aware that temps down near BBNP and the Rio Grande can be much higher in the day and particularly on FM 170, River Road, arguably the most technical road in Texas. Be sure you are hydrated well and comfortable with the temps:

Friday
Sunny, with a high near 89. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 58.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 94.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 63.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 95.

The Basin in BBNP has a restaurant, but the wait times are usually high.

There is a BBQ place in Terlingua, but I have not eaten there:

http://www.rusticironbbq.com/

They open at 11AM and in Terlingua expect laid back service, To get to the TerlinguaGhostown expect gravel and perilous parking, be sure you have a way to secure your jiffy stand.

In Presidio for lunch I also recommend El Patio:

El Patio Presidio

They keep the tea glass full and food is top shelf the last time I was there.

Any questions, feel free to PM or call/text two one 4 .five 4 two. seven 2 zero 7 and authenicate that you are not hawking car warranties or medicare policies.

Ride free,

Craig SCAD

Last edited:
Here in Alpine, be advised there has been washouts on US67 from I10 to US90, WATCH FOR GRAVEL AND SPLITLEVEL PAVEMENT!

Last edited:
Marcel and I made it to separate abodes 16:30 to 17:00.
Almost picked up a 5 ft tall, 2-year-old bull Elk to take home. Approx.
20 miles west of Sanderson 2 hours before sun-up. We were within
a couple of feet having meat for the winter.
Had a great time seeing everyone. Enjoyed It. Stay safe.

C'ya at the Wildflower
Doug