• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BMW 1250RT

AwesomeDad

Just curious how many came off an RT to the C14 or still have both? The Connie was our “testing the waters’ for a sport touring machine. We love almost everything about it for the riding we do. And there may be more choices when the time comes for another bike (3-5yrs)but it seems for now the 1250RT will tick all the boxes. I wanted to like the new wing but can’t imagine dealing with the weight. And of course there’s always the option of keeping the Connie and just getting a fun “me’ bike 😂😂😂

JJ

When I rode the new wing, it didn't feel any heavier than what I currently ride.  I did think that the throttle was too easy to twist.  Went over some railroad tracks and found myself goosing the throttle.  I didn't like that part.  Other than that, it was really nice.  I'd love to ride an RT sometime though.

Bud said:
When I rode the new wing, it didn't feel any heavier than what I currently ride.  I did think that the throttle was too easy to twist.  Went over some railroad tracks and found myself goosing the throttle.  I didn't like that part.  Other than that, it was really nice.  I'd love to ride an RT sometime though.
We are gonna do test rides, but after almost 10 years on an ultra classic the C14 was a welcome change. And I can’t say my next bike will be our last but I’m not old enough for a wing yet 😂😂😂

If you have the disposable income to offset the BMW higher cost of maintenance and expensive failures when they do break, as well as a high tolerance to arrogant and snooty dealer/mechanics rhetoric, "There is no problem, they all do that." or, "You must not just know how to ride properly." You might like the newer RT's. I did 3 years on an R-1100 but the dealer foul-ups and non support led to a near lawsuit by me against them and we finally parted way. Not impressed by their customer service. The bike was about 400% higher maintenance cost than any other (Jap) bike I have owned.

The BMW will have the advantage of less weight.  From experience with a different sort of bike, I learned that having two bikes for the same identical purpose will end up with the older bike being left unused in the garage.  If you were buying a second bike for a totally different purpose, the result might be different.  But don't kid yourself that the BMW and C14 will be used 50-50.

I have a much smaller BMW, the F800GT.  I have to admit it is very well designed.  And luckily, I can do virtually all my own maintenance...so it keeps me out of the stealerships.

But with the R1250RT, you're getting into a different level of complexity...that draws you to the stealership.  Ask yourself if the extra eye candy you'll get is worth the thousands of $$$$ you'll pay to get it.  You have a pretty good bike as it is.

I test rode a RT for about an hour and a half.  I didn't like it.  The suspension seemed disconnected from the rest of the bike.  The rest of the bike was nice...but no better for my needs than what I had already.  In my case, I didn't have money burning a hole in my pocket, so I was able to pass on the eye candy and focus on what it actually gave me...which was very little over what I had already.

BTW, if buying new, you will pay dealer prep and transportation.  If you find a recently bought bike with little miles, you won't pay for that.  Count on a thousand over and above MSRP for that.

Chris

Daboo said:
The BMW will have the advantage of less weight.  From experience with a different sort of bike, I learned that having two bikes for the same identical purpose will end up with the older bike being left unused in the garage.  If you were buying a second bike for a totally different purpose, the result might be different.  But don't kid yourself that the BMW and C14 will be used 50-50.

I have a much smaller BMW, the F800GT.  I have to admit it is very well designed.  And luckily, I can do virtually all my own maintenance...so it keeps me out of the stealerships.

But with the R1250RT, you're getting into a different level of complexity...that draws you to the stealership.  Ask yourself if the extra eye candy you'll get is worth the thousands of $$$$ you'll pay to get it.  You have a pretty good bike as it is.

I test rode a RT for about an hour and a half.  I didn't like it.  The suspension seemed disconnected from the rest of the bike.  The rest of the bike was nice...but no better for my needs than what I had already.  In my case, I didn't have money burning a hole in my pocket, so I was able to pass on the eye candy and focus on what it actually gave me...which was very little over what I had already.

BTW, if buying new, you will pay dealer prep and transportation.  If you find a recently bought bike with little miles, you won't pay for that.  Count on a thousand over and above MSRP for that.

Chris
Kinda of what I was thinking, and nothing’s set in stone. I also like the GSA and Triumphs new Rocket 3 GT. My wife and I enjoy riding together so whatever I land on has to have decent 2up capability...

JJ

Think of the most outrageously & expensive mod for your  Connie and take your wife shopping. You will still have $$$ for .....

wayne-o said:
Think of the most outrageously & expensive mod for your  Connie and take your wife shopping. You will still have $$$ for .....
Thankfully she hates shopping as much as me...

JJ

Why, oh why did Triumph stop making the Trophy? I know, rhetorical question. That was one NICE bike, it was like a non-German BMW but with a Japanese price. The money and complexity is keeping me away from a BMW right now.

Strawboss said:
Why, oh why did Triumph stop making the Trophy? I know, rhetorical question. That was one NICE bike, it was like a non-German BMW but with a Japanese price. The money and complexity is keeping me away from a BMW right now.

I hear you Strawboss. I drool over pictures of a BMW K1600GTL, but there is absolutely no way I will pay that kind of money to get it, or those out of this world repair costs. I do my own work, and the parts will still sink you assuming you can find them to buy. My C14 is my "Bavarian Substitute" until I win the lottery and then I will not care what it costs, but until then, Connie and I are good to go!  :great:

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

ursharkfuel said:
Strawboss said:

I hear you Strawboss. I drool over pictures of a BMW K1600GTL, but there is absolutely no way I will pay that kind of money to get it, or those out of this world repair costs. I do my own work, and the parts will still sink you assuming you can find them to buy. My C14 is my "Bavarian Substitute" until I win the lottery and then I will not care what it costs, but until then, Connie and I are good to go!  :great:

Enjoy the ride,
Jon
Yeah I call mine the “Budget Beamer”

JJ

The RT is a nice ride.  Didn't get the chance to test ride it though,
The S1000XR suckered me right in.  Step back going to chain, but
the steps forward TOTALLY make up for it.  No regrets.

$70 for bluetooth OBD reader and I've managed all the maintenance
work to date.  I may go to BMW for the valves at 16k....

I've rented a few BMWs and driven them in nice places like Colorado and Washington.  Great bikes, lots of fun.  One trip on an R1200GS featured winds strong enough that a highway was posted as closed to "tall and light vehicles".  No sweat on a ginormous BMW semi dirt-bike.

Just bought an almost new 2019 C14, wow what a sweet ride!  Everything I could ask for, half the price of a new R1250.  C14 is hard to beat!  :great:

I just bought a 2013 R1200 RT  Premium with 27,000 miles for way less than blue book. It handles great and feels as light as my old 99 VFR 800. BMW made a lot of changes starting in 2014 which is likely the reason for the low price but this one has so many more than the Concours that I am pretty thrilled. Cruise control works great, electric suspension, stability control, heated grips and seats, electric windshield. The  2013 is the last year I believe, for the air/oil cooled engine but it has been running quite cool in the recent HOT weather.

So far the only thing the R1200RT lacks is the Concours power. I have no plans to sell the Concours.

Went the other way as have a 2011 ZG1400 and went out and bought a 2016 R1200GS. They compliment each other well although seems to negatively affect my finesse when I switch from one to the other. The R does make the ZG feel a little heavy and sluggish when throwing it around. Physics is definitely on the Beamer's side. Kind of feels like what you would get if you crossed a Harley with a Jeep and threw in better handling. My brother had one and moved local. He introduced me to dual sport riding which gives boring Florida riding a whole new dimension! Water Manage Districts are everywhere in Florida. Still prefer the ZG for that insane power and smoothness down the slab for 4 hours in any direction so do not see me parting with either one any time soon.
IMG_0429.jpg

Once you get a Goldwing moving, the weight becomes a non-issue due to its low CG. There's considerable truth to the statement that having two bikes with similar purposes results in the older one sitting.

Once you get a Goldwing moving, the weight becomes a non-issue due to its low CG. There's considerable truth to the statement that having two bikes with similar purposes results in the older one sitting.
I wouldn’t keep the Connie if I got the RT or wing, only if I ended up on a GS

JJ

I rode a 2020 RT1250 at a recent BMW demo days event in Denton TX.

Much better ride comfort then my 2012 C-14, but didn't have the snap that I've become used to when I turn the throttle.

The BMW is probably faster than it feels, but the opposed motor delivers it differently.

The $24k asking price is twice what you would wind up paying for a new C-14.

I have 2 BMW's in my garage right now along with my 2014 C-14. When I go out for a day ride it's difficult to chose which one to take.
One funny thing about BMW's is that they are very individual bikes, across the board, as far as reliability goes.
Of the the same model, pick any model, some are dead reliable, low maintenance and others of the same build time are trouble prone garage queens. It's so random and has been for quite some time. But as anyone will attest too, when you get a good one, they are very nice to ride and own. I have zero complaints about the 2 I own.
Nick
2014 C-14

Went to the local Triumph dealer yesterday and they had a used 2014 Trophy, I begged them to write a note to the company to please, oh please bring back the Trophy to the U.S.:ROFLMAO:

I’m sure they’re good bikes, but considerably out of my pay grade, to buy and to service not to mention a sparse dealer network. You might want to go ride the the new gl1800 before you decide. And every speck town in this country has a Honda dealer that can help you out if you have a problem out of town. I currently ride a 15 Versys 650 and an older GL1800. 11K invested in both.

I’m sure they’re good bikes, but considerably out of my pay grade, to buy and to service not to mention a sparse dealer network. You might want to go ride the the new gl1800 before you decide. And every speck town in this country has a Honda dealer that can help you out if you have a problem out of town. I currently ride a 15 Versys 650 and an older GL1800. 11K invested in both.
Yeah my issue with the wing is how much has to come off it just to change the air filter, not that the Connie is a picnic but the wing is not wrench friendly....

Yeah my issue with the wing is how much has to come off it just to change the air filter, not that the Connie is a picnic but the wing is not wrench friendly....
I have a 2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour that I purchased in late July of last year Jerry. It is a fantastic bike and I enjoy every minute I have been on it. I have 8K on it and so the only maintenance I have done on it so far is oil changes and fresh tires. You are right about the air filter but that does not need to be done very often and there are videos from Fred Harmon and Cruiseman that can help you through it if you decide to do the work yourself as well as other maintenance. I still have my 08 C14 with over 137K on it and still love riding that too. I expect with maintaining the Gold Wing I will get similar long life or more from it too. BTW I did ride the BMW 1250RT, GT and 1600 before I purchased the Wing and they are all great bikes also. My wife enjoyed the seating on the Wing better so that swayed the decision a bit and I am very happy with the Wing.

I have a 2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour that I purchased in late July of last year Jerry. It is a fantastic bike and I enjoy every minute I have been on it. I have 8K on it and so the only maintenance I have done on it so far is oil changes and fresh tires. You are right about the air filter but that does not need to be done very often and there are videos from Fred Harmon and Cruiseman that can help you through it if you decide to do the work yourself as well as other maintenance. I still have my 08 C14 with over 137K on it and still love riding that too. I expect with maintaining the Gold Wing I will get similar long life or more from it too. BTW I did ride the BMW 1250RT, GT and 1600 before I purchased the Wing and they are all great bikes also. My wife enjoyed the seating on the Wing better so that swayed the decision a bit and I am very happy with the Wing.
We don’t get to do the long trips as much as we use to, I’m trying to hold off on a wing until I’m 50 because it’s the 50th anniversary of the wing and we should start doing more trips. And I agree it is a fantastic bike....

JJ

I recently made the switch from my beloved 2011 C14 to a brand-spanking-new 2021 R1250 RT Sport Edition. Had to wait about 5 months to get it into my garage -- factory was super slowed down by The Virus, then it sat on a container ship for 4 weeks before being allowed into Port of New Jersey.

This RT is a tech wonderland! It has that (famous/infamous?) 10.5 inch TFT display with "integrated" audio, phone, and navigation control. Which "almost" works as advertised. I am awaiting a promised software update to the bike which is supposed to clear up the connectivity problems etc. Assuming BMW gets this all sorted out Real Soon Now this will be a fantastic setup that might actually make my life easier as a rider. We'll see...

Mechanically there is much to be admired: Active/Dynamic Suspension, Multiple Riding Modes, Adaptive Cruise Control (!), Dynamic Engine Braking, Hill Hold (Start) Control, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Adaptive (steering) LED Headlights (!), Dynamic Brake Control (ABS)... plus the newest shift-cam engine layout, tire pressure monitoring, electronic windscreen, grip and seat heat, integrated LED driving lights, braided stainless hydraulic lines... and built-in speakers (meh) and harness pre-wired for a satellite radio system that can not be shipped yet due to the "chip shortage." And the loudest horn I have EVER heard on any motorcycle!

Why did I want this RT? Mostly because it is 180 pounds lighter than the C14 and I can pretty much flat foot the thing. (Well, it is not Kawasaki's fault that I am shrinking!) The 135 HP boxer is nice and torquey, but is nowhere near as powerful and majestic as the Connie's power plant! That ZG motor remains one of my favorite engines of all time. The modern boxer engine is just what it is... it does not promise to be anything else. The RT in stock livery handles "better" than the stock big Connie (subjective), certainly lighter and less physical, but <my> Concours was modded and farkled to infinity and beyond, starting with the Öhlins shock and Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork kit. And the Guhl reflash. And a huge bunch of other stuff... my connie could really haul a$$!

Today, no longer likely to be logging 400 mile-plus days on the road, the R1250 RT better suits my needs and wants. I find it to be a ton of fun, easy to ride, and I am going to say fun again. The tech and sophisticated suspension and ride modes are really nice (I mean, I will never need to set the sag again!), and I am inspired to ride the snot out of it whenever I get the chance. 44 MPG and a range of over 250 miles is a bonus feature.

I'm just praying nothing breaks down or goes haywire! ;D

Attachments

• R1250RT_Studio-61-Oblique.1.jpg
    R1250RT_Studio-61-Oblique.1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 181
Nice looking machine! Thank You for sharing your thoughts, likes, dislikes.

DO NOT get complacent with the adaptive cruise control - if you are meaning adaptive as in vehicles around you - as you know zero space for any issues here…

How well does the suspension adjust? Do you ride 2-up often, curious how well these systems work from a solo rider to 2-up loaded with gear?

Shift assist is this more/less a quick shifter? And is this both directions clutchless?

Heated seat will be nice in the colder months, extend the season. Is the seat one of the brand name heavy-hitters, comfortable?

Nice looking machine! Thank You for sharing your thoughts, likes, dislikes.

DO NOT get complacent with the adaptive cruise control - if you are meaning adaptive as in vehicles around you - as you know zero space for any issues here…
Agreed... automatic cruise control is great technology and can really help alleviate some of the "chores" inherent in storming the slab, but should never be allowed to breed complacency -- in fact I find it can enhance my situational awareness when roadway and traffic conditions allow. The mid-range radar works very well and allows me to relax a bit on the highway, and it sure is nice to be able to give the aging carpals and scaphoid a rest once in a while. Truly, it works brilliantly.

I had the Rostra CC on my Connie and was always glad to have it available. It made the long rides so much more comfortable.

How well does the suspension adjust? Do you ride 2-up often, curious how well these systems work from a solo rider to 2-up loaded with gear?
For the first time ever, I am not even thinking about the suspension. I get on the bike, and the bike adjusts to my weight and cargo. It is possible to tweak the preload and dampening rate a bit but not recommended by BMW. I do not ride two-up, so I can not answer for that scenario. The bike feels good, the suspension is compliant, the bike does not wallow or shudder, at least not the way I ride it. The Telelever/Paralever architecture works well -- the bike does not dive or pitch while braking, it just hunkers down, and just rises a bit fore and aft during acceleration. The hassock style fork does feel different from conventional forks... not "wrong", just different. I find I am trusting the suspension more and more to just do it's thing and I am worrying less and less about throttle roll-on moving through the turns to keep the suspension in the sweet spot. The bike goes where I point it and feels well planted all the way through. Better living through Science! :D

Shift assist is this more/less a quick shifter? And is this both directions clutchless?
Yes, quick shifting up and down. The system likes me to keep the throttle at a constant setting while shifting clutchless, letting the electronics do the work intended. It is hard to get out of the habit of rev matching!

Heated seat will be nice in the colder months, extend the season. Is the seat one of the brand name heavy-hitters, comfortable?
Seat is the BMW Option 719 "custom-stock" seat for the RT. I find it to be very comfortable thus far, and I think it looks great. I had a custom heated Baldwin saddle on the Concours 14, and loved it! But for now this fine soft slab of BMW premium vinyl is good to go.