• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BMW Telelever for sore left upper back neck

wayne-o

A broken left clavicle about 40 years ago is catching up to me. Braking seems worse than using the clutch.  I am  considering a DCT Honda or a telelever BMW . Please offer any info and especially related to arm related upper back pain. I am aware about positioning etc so more related to vehicles and features. I'm gonna have to rehab the shoulder anyways.

I'm a little confused Braking is accomplished with the right hand, right foot. Is the clavicle impacting both sides? A DCT still requires stopping. I had a DCT, loved it . People who have an impairment on the left side have reported that the transmission gave them back the ability to ride again. Not sure arm related upper back pain will go away because you are no longer squeezing the clutch. If the pain  is related to the front end hitting bumps in the road then the Bring More Wallet bike might help. They do have a smooth ride when they are running. See if you can get a test ride on a DCT. And any BMW dealer will probably toss you the keys to a bike. They don't seem to have the same problem as other dealers with giving out test rides. Then you might be able to make a determination. My first thought was exactly what you said- positioning. Handlebars can help put and keep you in the proper or improper position. Handlebars are fairly cheap and a shape change might be more beneficial.  Think your last statement is the key to comfort Good luck!

I have a k1200lt with the telelever front end. The only think that's particularly different as compared to a regular front end is the lack of brake dive. If your injury is such that hard braking puts painful force on it, then maybe the telelever will help. You're still going to have the forward force from braking to contend with, just not downward. HTH, Steve

Braking and riding over irregular  surfaces induces a protective posturing that deviates from the forearms flat and back straight position.  Looking at BMW pricing before hard cases makes modifying my Connie a no brainer. Suspension, a lower seat and shoulder rehab . The Connie is a great bike

Somebody has Heli Bars for sale in the "For Sale" section.  They are very adjustable, a lot more than risers.

Thanks Joe, I'm  optimistic about my shoulder. Looking into DCT Goldwings , Africa Twins and BMW just seems like money pits. Visiting COG seems like pennies vs $$$ on some forums.

wayne-o said:
Thanks Joe, I'm  optimistic about my shoulder. Looking into DCT Goldwings , Africa Twins and BMW just seems like money pits. Visiting COG seems like pennies vs $$$ on some forums.

Way to go!  Rehab is a process but incremental changes mean continued results with therapy

I put Helibars on my C-14 Love them Would have put them on my Honda but the factory did not have a suitable match. Lots of adjustments. I've changed my configuration 4 times in 3 years. Purchased them because I wanted a more upright  posture. I have really enjoyed them and recently adjusted the grips to provide a better riding experience. Think our bodies change with time and the adjust ability has allowed me to ride more comfortably.

Actually I have immediate results with few stretches and exercises. Thoracic extension, chin tuck and a resistance  band used like a cross country ski pole. I just came from day long ride and I feel good.

I parked next to a 1250GS at a dealership.  The Concours14 has large bodywork in front of the gas tank but the GS is huge. Form over function but can you ever get used to that?

The Telelever is great for not transmitting road irregularities to the rider, I have one. There is less dive under braking but you still have physics driving you forward.
I would focus on physically improving yourself rather than finding another ride.
Personally, when my back gives me trouble lifting weights fixes it. It sounds counter intuitive. The phrase “motion is lotion” truly applies. Check out ALTHEAN X on YouTube. He really focuses on how NOT to get hurt.

Arthritis from an old right thumb fracture flared up when I started doing monthly track days again in 2016. The pain on hard braking was too distracting. Street riding you can find ways to mostly avoid hard braking but not on a track. I gave iy up for a year but could not stay away. Went to an Orthopedist who recommended cortizone injections. Quarterly injections got be back on the track pain free. I don't know if it would work for your clavicle but you might look into it.

I also have a13 BMW R1200RT with paralever. I don't find that it rides much smoother than my 08 Concours with upgraded suspension.