• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Build dates on tires

Spiderman

I just had a new Dunlop RS 3 mounted on the rear. When I got home I checked the build date 5217. Is that a little too old for a new tire? I don`t think I`ve had one that old before , but I just started checking dates about 10 years ago. It will last me a couple years I hope. I have been using Michelin PR 4 GTs for some time and get about 9500 miles out of them. And yes I do like to twist the throttle and my girl friend rides at times. Any feed back would be appreciated, thanks . Floyd

Used to be an issue about "dry rot" but I think that is no loger a problem. My Chevy Express Van is a 2005 . Last month when i installed new brake pads I noticed the inside tread of my front tire was worn to the cord. I put the spare on and realize the spare was OEM. 15 years old. It has been running without issue. I AM going to replace it soon tho. True, truck tires and bike tires are not the same, I am just saying synthetic rubber has come a loooong way.

I wouldn't be concerned, If I'm not mistaken they can be legally sold up to 7 years. Ride it, smile & don't worry about it!

Last edited:
I'm guessing you bought the tire and had it installed at a local shop? It was probably sitting on their shelf for the last 4 years. When you buy tires online you usually get much fresher stock, about 1 year old. I hope they reduced the price for you based on the age of the tire. As far as safety it's not a issue. If you go on Dunlop's website ( https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/care/#tip-24) they say tires should be replaced after 10 years even if they have not been used. I'm sure you will wear them out in a year or two, so age won't be a problem

Correct about the 7 year statement. The biggest determent to tires these days is ozone.
It produces those little cracks in the side wall, and makes the tire harden. I have had some
luck ordering tires from the online stores, Bike Bandit, Ron Ares and such. At the time of
placing the order I tell them I will not accept tires older than a year. If memory is correct
I received 1 tire that was older than a year in the last 10 years. I've order lots of tires
for customers this way.

Thanks guys, I was not concerned about the tire failing , just the rubber getting harder with time. but I guess 2 years on the road it should be ok. I got it at a independent repair shop. I`ve been getting my tires there for many years. They always order tires. Way too many different tires to have on hand. Probably came from a distributor in the Minneapolis. I`m in northwestern Wis. and they had it the next day. And no it was not Dennis Kirk.