• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bump Starting a 2018 Concours 14 ??

I Feel Fizzy

On a ride back to PA from the MotoGP race at COTA this April I stopped in Virginia to visit my granddaughter. I have an issue with the storage compartment latching (I'll start another thread on that!), so I turned the stove knob on and off several times to get it to latch. Problem was I turned it one less time than needed - in other words, I left the key on.

Came back to a very weak battery, and it would not turn over. There was a very slight grade in the hotel parking lot so I tried to coast and bump start it. Even had a hotel worker push me. It putted a time or two, but no start. The issue was I could not shift it out of 1st gear, as that is how the Connie is designed, to help you get to neutral without overshooting into 2nd when stopped . I usually put bikes or cars in 3rd gear to bump start, but 2nd probably would have worked fine on this bike.

Here's my question: Is it possible to shift into 2nd or 3rd on a 2018 Connie from neutral when stopped? If I was on a long hill perhaps it is possible to shift up by reaching a certain speed before popping the clutch, but with little or no slope I could not shift up.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

I am awaiting an answer for this one. I was so used to using the kill switch to shut off a motorcycle that I still do that sometimes on my Concours and I keep getting paranoid that I will leave the key on and kill the battery. Good to know it tried to start at least.

It's because of the 'slipper' clutch

It slips to prevent over speeding the engine or under speeding the rear tire in downshifts

It's because of the 'slipper' clutch

It slips to prevent over speeding the engine or under speeding the rear tire in downshifts
It didn't slip. The wheel just locked up because it was in first gear. It did turn the engine over, but it was such a gentle slope and short run it wasn't enough.

Hmm, the slipper clutch won't have any effect at prohibiting a bump start at this low a speed. It's for squids who enter the danger zone too fast and down shift too many gears so yhe rear end doesn't lock up and dump them.

I've always been able to find 2nd on my 2010 when it's not running. U should be able to bump start if there's enough voltage to operate the fuel pump and wake up the ecu...

With it in neutral rock it some and try shifting to 2nd... it should.go..

Hmm, the slipper clutch won't have any effect at prohibiting a bump start at this low a speed. It's for squids who enter the danger zone too fast and down shift too many gears so yhe rear end doesn't lock up and dump them.

I've always been able to find 2nd on my 2010 when it's not running. U should be able to bump start if there's enough voltage to operate the fuel pump and wake up the ecu...

With it in neutral rock it some and try shifting to 2nd... it should.go..
This👆

The issue ie a centrifugal lockout in the transmission that aids in finding neutral when stopped. Being centrifically operated it won’t function if the transmission isn’t turning . Let’s say the bike is on the center stand- you can click down to 1st, but not up past neutral. If you spin the back tire when in neutral, you can now upshift . To push start have the bike in neutral and start rolling, then shift to second or 3rd and dump the clutch when you have some momentum. There really shouldn’t be enough back- torque to activate the slipper.

Yeah, yeah, that's it too, what Steve said.😁 easier to push in neutral than in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Thanks once again Steve, the answer man! :) I didn't think about putting it on the center stand and spinning the tire enough to shift into second - that probably would have done it! There wasn't enough room or slope for it to shift into second while I was rolling - I tried. I was sort of in semi-panic mode too, which didn't help. Great group here! (y)

Over speeding the engine...What is that ?
Too eager of downshifting can either spool the engine rapidly, overshooting redline or lock the rear. The slipper clutch - works to release that level of ‘rearward’ force.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thank you, Wayne. Never heard the term, "over speeding the engine." I removed the slipper clutch/back torque components on my Connie years ago, never looked back. They were also removed from my ZX14R. I found better launches and drivability with the slipper clutch removed....JMO.