• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-10 cooling system issues

buzzard53

I just purchased an 05 Connie. The bike looks to be in generally good condition after a good cleaning. I did notice on the 20 mile ride home that the temp gauge didn't really move more than a needle width from low. The ride home was 99% highway and didn't see any indication of over heating. In addition to the temp gauge display, after I got it home I noticed several of the fan blades had disfigured/melted tips. I'm sure this did not happen on the ride home. There's no coolant leaks I can see. I never encountered this on any of my previous C-10's. I'm going to start pulling the fairings off tomorrow to get a closer look at everything. I don't know if the two issues are related, so if anyone has ideas on what is happening or what to check first I'm listening.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kim

Buzz. I drove mine on the highway for the first time yesterday and the temp was as you described your bike was. Mine is a 2000. I will check my blades tomorrow when I can see better.

Was it a hot day wherever you are ? If so it sounds like maybe the thermostat is mia or stuck open and not allowing the coolant to heat enough to cycle the fan switch .

If the fan does not kick on or is somehow blocked (I had a mud dobber nest block a fan once) so that it can run and run well, then the exhaust heat will melt the blades. BTDT The bike MAY NOT overheat and still the blades get at least warped if not liquified. Just sayin'. It can and does happen. Make sure the fan is kicking on and running when the gauge reads just a bit over halfway. The actual temperature range of our C10 gauges is really quite narrow despite the C and H designations.

I have 2 c-10s one the temp runs near halfway on the gauge, the other one is in the lower end. I have added a small led to the fan power connection so I know when the temperature switch tells it to run. Both fan systems operate the same way just at different indications on the gauge. They come on when stopped at lights and turn off after getting back in motion. On a cool day or in the rain I can watch my thermostat cycle on the gauges.

Both of my fans have melted tips, I have looked on Ebay and never found 1 without melting.

I added the led light because I have had temp switch failures. The fan didn't come on and then the gauge will climb higher than normal and fluid will come out of the overflow. I also carry a jumper for the temp switch. The fan will run all the time, key on or off. You have to pull the fuse when you stop riding.

A sigh of relief, the cooling system seems to be okay.
I rode the bike on secondary roads and the temp gauge moved further up the scale. When I returned home I purposely let the bike run in the driveway and watched as the needle advanced to the half way position and verified the fan engaged and ran as it should.
My fan blades tips only have minor melting so I'm just going to top off the coolant and consider it good for the immediate future. Will probably give the system a total inspection and service with new hoses, o rings and thermostat over the winter.

I was going to say it sounds normal to me. Mine does the same thing exactly, Always has, before and after hose replacement, all original everything else on cooling system, 106,000 miles. Hose kits available except for the top hose, NAPA #7741 will work.

Your systems sound like their working correctly.

The reason for the temp swing is "airflow".
Going down the hwy. you're getting a lot of ambient airflow over the radiator & engine. (Engine runs cool)
When stopped you have no airflow until the fan comes on. (Engine begins to heat up)
After the fan comes on, there is a lot less airflow (than while riding), and much of that air is heated by the pipes/engine (not ambient air).
(Engine begins to cool)
NOTE: The preset/fan-on temp is intentionally higher than the temp you see while riding. (Maintains a safe temp {higher than hwy temp}, and keeps the fan from running all the time)

If you wish, it's EZ to add a switch that would allow you to run the fan continuously.
If you choose to do so, I suggest that you use a relay. (Use keyed power to energize the relay)
The keyed power would prevent accidentally draining the battery,

Last edited:
I just replaced all the hoses on my 01 with a kit from Murph. The top hose is in the kit.

My C10 had a fan blade with melted tips too. I swapped it out for a metal (aluminum) one.
tdbru

I adapted an aluminum fan of a refrigeration unit and suddenly it cools much faster, I also installed a switch for forced operation with a relay connected to the pilot wires, so that no risk of electric loss ;)
Oh yes, for the people who have the eye, the sense of the blades is reversed, so I plugged it backwards.;)
@+
Bernard

1691044178-20211101-161408.jpg

It was a Muzzy's aluminum Fan. I think Muzzy's performance went out of business about 7 years ago.
-tdbru

It's pretty normal for the tips of the OEM Fans to be melted a bit.
Doesn't seem to hurt anything.
Forgetaboutit.

Ride safe, Ted