• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-10 Water Pump shaft to engine case O-Ring differences

Road Warrior

Eastern Oklahoma
My m/c is an '87 C-10, my parts m/c is a '99 C-10. The water pump failed on the '87, so I pulled the water pump from the '99, no brainer, get a new seal, and o-rings, and plug-n-play right...not so fast, there's a 4MM difference in the water pump shaft o-rings. Same water pump, the '87 o-ring is 33MM, the '99 is 37MM, with parts numbers of 92055(A) & 92055(C). Me and the dealership parts guy talked to a mechanic, who seemed to think the engine case water pump bore could be slightly larger for the '99, and he recommended going with the o-ring specified for the '87, which we ordered at a list price of some $10.00 more, at $15.59 Part #92055-1266. Has anyone run into this ? Can anyone explain the difference ?

My m/c is an '87 C-10, my parts m/c is a '99 C-10. The water pump failed on the '87, so I pulled the water pump from the '99, no brainer, get a new seal, and o-rings, and plug-n-play right...not so fast, there's a 4MM difference in the water pump shaft o-rings. Same water pump, the '87 o-ring is 33MM, the '99 is 37MM, with parts numbers of 92055(A) & 92055(C). Me and the dealership parts guy talked to a mechanic, who seemed to think the engine case water pump bore could be slightly larger for the '99, and he recommended going with the o-ring specified for the '87, which we ordered at a list price of some $10.00 more, at $15.59 Part #92055-1266. Has anyone run into this ? Can anyone explain the difference ?
I've never heard of any difference in the 10+years of being a member here .

Apparently there is a difference of some 4MM, I was surprised, and appreciative of the diligence of my parts guy (a retired Law Enforcement Officer with attention to detail, he dug in taking notice of a difference in model years).

Seems strange though . Murphs sells water pumps with that o ring included and makes no mention of any difference . Im sure he would have had issues after all these years if that is the case .

Have you visually compared the O rings between your 99 and 87 to confirm they are different?

The water pump and O ring is used on many other Kawi models as well.

According to cross reference on Partzilla - the 86 - 87 did have a different part number. However that part number and and the one for later models shows the same size for both.

This would seem to validate that they are the same for all years ZG1000.

86 - 92055-1266 O RING Size: 33.2X2.4
99 - 92055-1424 O RING Size: 33.2X2.4

Wonder if your dealership parts guy has an incorrect parts list from another source?

We were working out of the Kawasaki database. It's a brain teaser to me. I'm looking forward to pulling the pump from my '87 and making some comparisons.

Just checked the Kawasaki OEM parts fiche available on my local dealer's website.

92055-1266 RING-O,33MM $14.66
92055-1424 RING-O,33.2X2.4 $5.16

A 3 fold increase in price for the 'older' model, but the sizes appear the same with a minor difference in the listing text.

There is indeed a difference, I can see it. My service is done, I ran out of daylight, so I'll wrap up tomorrow and get my covers back on. A curious little difference, not sure what year the change began, and I'm not sure why it's different. I'm glad my dealership parts guy is thorough and that I got the O-ring specified for my machine...no leaks !

Attachments

• C-10 Water Pump O-ring.jpg
    C-10 Water Pump O-ring.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 86
The (A) is definitely thicker, but not a drastically different diameter.

Wonder where the "'87 o-ring is 33MM, the '99 is 37MM" came from?

It's what the Kawasaki dealership shared with me when the parts guy looked them up, I may have mixed up the measurements. It looks to me like the '87 O-ring is thicker. When I visit them soon for more parts I'll spend a little more time on this just to clear it up in my own head 🤪