• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-14 Bodywork for Dummies

gbyoung2

In sequence, with the tank and windscreen being off, what’s the proper order for re-installing all the plastic on a 2016 model C14?

Please, do not assume anything.

TIA

I'd refer to the fsm for that...but I wouldn't do it without putting the tank back on first...

So, tank on would be step one.

That's the beginning and the kind of procedure sequence I was looking for.

Not my bike and was just trying to provide simplified guidance for a friend. I do have a digital copy of the Manual and will sort out the steps necessary and make a list. I've seen the bike and parts, but unfortunately, it's a little over 100 miles away so I don't have easy hands-on access to match the parts with what the Manual is saying..... if that make sense.

We'll try and figure it out.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Always consult the service manual; however, I find the rule of thumb seems to be work from low to high and front to back. I always bag up and label the fasteners and plastic washers no matter how many times I have removed the panels to error proof myself. It is well worth buying a cowling fastener kit off EBay or similar. Seems that I often need to replace the threaded rubber push nuts or the plastic push pins to make sure all goes together snugly. Good luck!

On an 08 you start at the bottom fairing (that goes under the btm of the engine).BTW, that btm piece never needs disassembled into two pieces and usually can be left in place.

Then add the panels with the turn signals
Then there are small pieces inside and adjacent to the fork tube.
Then the panels with the louvers.
Then the small black piece on top by the mirror.
Then the glove box.(or cover,2010 and up)

I assume the 2010 and above would be similar. The ones I've worked on came to me without plastic.

Don't force anything, when it's right it all falls in place.
Spare well nuts and 5mm screws are a good idea.
Sae 10-32 screws are interchangeable with 5mm in this application.

Appreciate it both.

Apparently, there was enough difference between the Gen 1 and 2 models that the owner mentioned it to his wife, and how "fragile" the tabs were.

Presently, I think they have enough information to get the bike back together themselves - IF - they take the time to read through the Fairings portion of the Frame Section.

Again, thank you.

On the 2016, if ALL front plastic is off:

First install the left and right painted front side cowl pieces (the ones with turn signals in them)
Second, install the left and right black lower cowl halves being careful to get the soft lower rubber air dam in place properly
Third, install left and right side painted cowls making sure to get the air dam to line up with the edges
Fourth, install left and right black upper panels. Be sure to plug in three connector on left panel for glove box and heated grips
Fifth, install black center tank panel

The order of the first two items can be reversed, but I normally do the side cowls first and then the lowers.

Lots of more detail needed to get everything on correct, but those are the basics.

Last edited:

First install the left and right painted front side cowl pieces (the ones with turn signals in them)
Second, install the left and right black lower cowl halves being careful to get the soft lower rubber air dam in place properly
Third, install left and right side painted cowls making sure to get the air dam to line up with the edges
Fourth, install left and right black upper panels. Be sure to plug in three connector on left panel for glove box and heated grips

The order of the first two items can be reversed, but I normally do the side cowls first and then the lowers.

Lots of more detail needed to get everything on correct, but those are the basics.
Thanks Fred.

Ha! I'm betting I'm not the only one immediately printing this off! Fred to the rescue, as usual! Thanks! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Harry, u reading this,? Would make an interesting t shirt. Imagine the horse replaced by a c14 front windshield area, insert someone's face in place of this guys....

Attachments

• IMG-20200729-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20200729-WA0011.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 44