• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-14 rear shock on my ‘00

cragantler

Alright, now that I’ve finished my front end update and in the process of putting on my new RS 3’s😎, it’s time to start on the rear end.
I’ve picked up a decent looking ‘13 C-14 shock. Comes with everything.
9AC763F7-9B3D-426A-8516-F7489EACBA34.jpeg
Searching thru past posts, it looks like I’ll need a spacer to attach. Some have used the existing C-10 bolt but I’m confused on which bolt? Diagram attached for further guidance.4ED6B338-CFAB-49E1-A530-053B1892EEF7.jpeg
My thought was to try and have everything ready and onhand to limit down time of riding. Another question is, will these aluminum bushings from eBay suffice or do they need to be stronger?
3C1AA329-3A2C-46BF-A831-E89B0AE504B1.jpeg
Thanks as always for the assistance and advice as I make my C-10 better.

Hello Crag. (This is from memory and my memory isn't 20/20).
As I recall; I used the top C-10 OEM bolt. To do so, I drilled the C-14 top hole slightly bigger.
I used the lower C-10 OEM Bolt. To do so, I cut off the threads, hex, made the length XXX (??) and drilled a hole thru the center.
I then used the lower C-14 OEM Bolt to pass thru the center.
I'm unsure of the dimensions of the mods, but can find out.

NOTE: The C-14 shock is going to make the bike about 1 1/2" - 2" taller at the seat..
The best cure for that was to use a Norm Soucy Lowering Rocker. Unfortunately, he has stopped making them.
The next/best option {that I know of} is to use a Soupy Lowering Link's.
But, it takes some modification to make it clear the shock spring. Unsure what those modifications are.

NOTE: Some have installed a ZZR-1200 shock instead of the C-14 shock.
They do this because the ZZR Shock is the same length as the C-10 OEM Shock, has the same adjustment's, and does not raise the rear.
(Spring may be a tad softer}

Ride safe, Ted

connie-rider
I used the lower C-10 OEM Bolt. To do so, I cut off the threads, hex, made the length XXX (??) and drilled a hole thru the center.
I then used the lower C-14 OEM Bolt to pass thru the center.
I'm unsure of the dimensions of the mods, but can find out.

For anyone else’s future reference:
.30mm L 20mm OD 10mm ID

New height should not be an issue due with a 34” inseam.

W
Height shouldn't be a issue with your leg span however, the angle when putting on side stand will change and may affect stability. Suppose you will have to wait and see if that becomes an issue. Center stand will be a breeze now.
Does it put it at more of an angle or?
Seemed like the angle changed some after the M/S wheel.

Making the bike taller will increase lean angle of the bike when on the side stand. (more lean)
Making the bike lower will decrease lean angle of the bike when on the side stand. (less lean)
Side stand can be heated/bent slightly to adjust for different lean angles.

Some have let the rear spring sag to lower the rear of the bike.
BUT: This increases rider sag/reduces available shock travel/increases chance of bottoming.

I suggest that Cragantler install his C-14 shock, set the sag {front and rear} at 35-40mm, and give it a try.
You might like it fine.
NOTE: If you want to keep original suspension geometry, the front of the bike will need to be raised a bit too.

Ride safe, Ted