• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10/C14 shock spacer help please:)

Smokeyjoe

Howdy all,
I'm ready to mount the 2012 C14 shock to my 2002 C10...has anyone found the magic spacer for the bottom? If I need to fabricate one, what type of stock would be perf? Thanks in advance:)
Jack

You can't reuse the C10 bolt, too large for the shock ear

I had one made at a local machine shop from regular mild steel. Just keep up with lubrication on your own by taking apart everytime you change the final drive oil

Howdy all,
I'm ready to mount the 2012 C14 shock to my 2002 C10...has anyone found the magic spacer for the bottom? If I need to fabricate one, what type of stock would be perf? Thanks in advance:)
Jack
As I recall, I shortened the C-10 shoulder bolt, and drilled a hole thru it.
Sorry, but I don't recall exact dimensions. Hopefully someone can find them.

Update; Someone answered your post at another location with dimensions; https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...r-shock-spacer-help-please.53350/#post-639221

On the upper eye of the C-14 shock, I think I drilled the hole larger so that I could use the stronger C-10 upper bolt.

IMPORTANT: The C-14 shock installation is going to raise the rear of the bike "significantly".
I installed a Norm Soucy Lowering Ricker and the bike height on mine is almost exactly stock height.
I talked to Norm recently and he no longer makes them, but has 1 left. {hint/hint}
Some choose to not use any pre-load on the C-14 shock. {so that the bike sags}
(but) That's a bad choice as you use up travel, and the suspension is mushy.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
You can't reuse the C10 bolt, too large for the shock ear

I had one made at a local machine shop from regular mild steel. Just keep up with lubrication on your own by taking apart everytime you change the final drive oil
Thanks! I am a fan of "options":)

Jack, just had a thought.... {yes, I know that's dangerous}

If you have a drill press ([or better yet] a lathe), you "might" be able to drill the hole {thru the C-10 shoulder bolt} off center about 1/4".
This would make the C-14 shock (seem shorter} and lower the bike a bit.

NOTE: I have not done this. Just thought of it.
But, {if you have the means to try it} should work.
Because of the Rocker and the various ratio's involved in the shock linkage, the 1/4" should give you a net drop of 1/2 - 3/4".
("I thimk")

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If anyone sees issues with this new thought. SPEAK UP!!!
PS again; If you have a lathe, 303 SS is a good material to use if you choose to make the bushing. {tough, EZ to machine, and will not corrode}

Interesting idea about a off center bushing, Not a lot of room between the shock bottom when bushing is centered. You might go a 1/4 inch away from shock body bottom. But no room going up towards shock body if memory serves well. Tight fit!

20210508_141049.jpg
Also fabricated a "kickstand elevation module" to be deployed until my lowering rocker arrives:) Cheers!

That's a good lookin' tool.. Great design work! (y)

As I recall:
When I installed mine, I had to grind off some material from the end of the lowering rocker.
Everything seemed fine at first, but the center stand wouldn't go up or come down.
Was binding against the end of the rocker. (I thimk)
I also think I removed a little material from the end of the Lowering Rocker (with a Body Sander),
& that solved the problem.

NOTE:
1) My Lowering Rocker was an early Model and not machined as perfectly as I assume yours will be.
2) I did the body sander work with everything assembled.
3) My memory sux and I may be hallucinatin'. :devilish:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Where did you mount the pre-load adjuster?

Funny:) I was going to ask the same. I did not want to kink the line so...I ran it to the left and then ty- wrapped it to the right of the electrics. The cover fits but you don't have quick access to the adjuster. Not a problem for me.

Mercer/Smoky Joe, that's the same location that I installed mine. Mine is the same style adjuster as Smoky Joe's.
I built/bent a bracket {that uses the foot peg frame bolts for support} to hold it in place.

Ride safe, Ted